Why become a member? ×

what amp to drive genz 212 nx2

ebenezer

OK, I'll offer two very loud amps for your consideration.  One has all the bells and whistles and the other is simple and has very few controls.

Both are excellent and very loud.

Reidmar 750.

Quilter Bass Block 800.

The Quilter is really great value now from Thomann at £475.

Frank.

I'm a bit surprised by your question, what are you doing with this cab? It quotes 101dB/W and the LMII will give 500W into 4ohms. That's 127dB output. you need around 120dB to roughly match a drummer. If you turn that up full then even the strongest drummer with the loudest kit would be drowned in bass. On top of that you absolutely will be damaging your hearing permanently at those sorts of levels.  I'm suspecting you work with guitarists who don't have respect for the rest of the band. These are loud speakers and with a decent amp!

Secondly to get a step up in volume you need to double the output power. Anything under 1000w and you will barely notice any difference, That's just the laws of physics. Even then it will only be a bit louder and your speakers won't handle that power anyway.

Is it you of the audience who can't hear the bass?

I'd be looking at my eq first in this case, assuming amp and speakers are working properly. If you are operating with a lot of bass boost then you may be overloading the speakers, hearing distortion and realising you can't turn up further. Alternatively you are using some mid scoop which is great at home or the rehearsal studio but fatal when playing live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO an LM2 into a 212 should be pretty loud. Mine was.

I'd suggest you change your EQ. I used to run with the tone controls at 12 o'clock and boost or cut slightly from there. I also had the filters off. They are fully anti-clockwise when they are off. Your EQ could be killing your sound and definition, leading you to think you need more volume.

I`m a bit OCD so like amps to match cabs,so would advise contacting Genzler to see if they can offer some advice, state your sound ideals and music played. The lack of volume may be due to eq, Markbass eq is a tad "gappy" for want of a better word - mids are quite low and nasally, and highs are very high, so to remove any nasal-ness and get definition can be tricky depending on bass used. I find that all elusive "cutting through" that really helps to be heard to be more about high-mids than low-mids or treble, around 2.5 to 3kHz and the eq on the LM2 doesn`t have anything near that area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, SisterAbdullahX said:

I used a Carvin B1500 through mine. Holy Moly....!

Great combination, I loved the Carvin BX1600 I once owned with the NX2. That said I’m currently sporting the Genzler Magellan 800 through the NX2 and I’m in total tone heaven 😊

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:24, mangotango said:

I recently acquired a GB 212 nx2 to pair up with a GB Streamliner 900.

It's early days yet, but so far I am remarkably pleased with the results.

Not so early days now, and I have to say, this rig has turned out to be as good  as anything I've ever had.

I run my Bass Collection SB 4- and 5-string basses through this, and also an Aria SWB-04 upright.  For the Aria, I bypass the Gain and go for a clean sound.

The sound is warm and full, but I can also get plenty of snap! out of this rig if needed.