Why become a member? ×

As far as hare-brained ideas go...

AndyTravis

Right...

Alcohol was involved in the decision making...

We sat in a pub and discussed a mate who’s making a decent side earner for himself in a tribute act.

I do have a couple of mates who pay their bills with this behaviour.

My brother and I have no desperate need to earn a living from a Sterophonics tribute act or something equally obvious nor lucrative.

Since I was 13 I’ve loved the Violent Femmes and Brian Ritchie’s crazy lead acoustic bass playing - My brother likes them, plays guitar and sings of a fashion...just like Gordon Gano...

That’s part 1. Drunken decision to be a niche tribute act.

Part 2 is that I fancy making a replica of the Earthwood acoustic bass he uses...but as it’ll be all plugged in playing for gigs...I don’t need the 12”-14” depth of the original.

Think of the Hamer 12 string “acoustic of Jeff Ament...25010EF5-0C0B-4B54-9690-3441D1A1ACCB.jpeg.602165b19b7b81951fe154e9a34a3656.jpeg

I think I need to give my head a wobble...

Am I mad?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Just realised my mum and dad have an oak dining table which is too big after they moved house to a bungalow...

Thickness is about that of an electric bass. Could get two body blanks out of it easily...

need to think more seriously 🙄

It's possible, but Oak is a heavy, heavy timber. It would prevent any neck dive I suppose. :lol:

Dad has said he’s not giving up the table...

Also, reality vs alcohol means I haven’t actually got the time to do this if nobody wants to take on the project (I’ve asked a couple of builders who’ve graciously declined owing to time/size)

And I’ve not even started rehearsing the set list yet (haven’t played these songs for years) - so I have some options...it needs to be a non cutaway ABG (seems counter intuitive but I know what I mean)

1. Ibanez PCBE-12 which is the super cheap option meaning I can mess about with it - need to try one plugged in; its small so will be comfy for longer sets, and is short scale so should be able to bend lighter gauge strings for some of the more hectic bits.

2. Eko BA4 seems to be discontinued but available for £199 on a couple of sites with remaining stock. Looks old and smelly like the Earthwood.

3. Sigma BME - £270, I had the cutaway glossy version and it was brilliant. 

4. A mate has a Fender BG-32 which we’ve both owned several times between us, he’s reluctant to sell back at the moment - but that’s a hoot to play with skinny strings on it. 

5. Once I’ve found one, a physically near identical option may be the Larrivee B-03re which is A) discontinued B) £1000+

27 minutes ago, rushbo said:

If you need a hand with the setlist, drop me a line.

Oh and if you don’t do “Gimme the Car”, I will sulk. Really, really, sulk. 

Hahah. It’s the others who need to get familiar...turns out my muscle memory isn’t too bad 😂