Why become a member? ×

Do your planets line up Bass - Amp - Cab

deepbass5

I must say, for the first time (maybe ever), I'm really happy with my tone.

It's simple - US Geddy Lee, into a Little Mark 3 with a Markbass 102P 2x10 cab.

For some years I struggled with my Rickys - sometimes they sounded fab, other times the worst. Owned a couple of P's along the way....lovely, but just not 'me'. Other Jazz basses were too polite.

Having previously owned a MIJ and MIM Geddy, I was thrilled to get a US. The Markbass gives a pure tone, which works for me - in our trio I go full pots open grind, in the semi-acoustic band I dial it back for a bit of background thump.

Either way, the combination works better than anything I've ever owned before. In fact, when it's on full grind, I can sound more like a Ricky than many of my real ones did! It's nice to have the flexibility....it's even stopped any GAS, which would never usually happen.  By default, I've become a one-bass guy...practice, rehearsals, gigs...and I've never been more content. 😀

4 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

Walshy 😂

Thats a bit - Crocodile Dundee - "No this is a knife"

So that doesn't count and your fired.

😂😂 Sorry mate

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Damn this thread. Now I am trembling with cab gas after seeing Walshy's Retro 6X10. Bugger bugger bugger.

Do it do it do it! 

By far the greatest rig/combo I’ve had and I’ve had a few!!

All totally my own fault, but since changing back to cabs with tweeters (Berg HT112’s) from a BF SuperTwin, I now realise that I’ve probably let some decent basses & heads  pass through my fingers unnecessarily!

• Like 1

On 16/08/2018 at 22:00, deepbass5 said:

Just thinking about my set up over the years, how it has changed for better or for worse. when do you know if the bass you once loved that is not talking to you as it did, is due to that new amp or cab that just arrived.

Or have you just fell in love again with an old Axe that now sounds great with your new Cab.

Someone posted a video on here of a Luthier  talking about how many different things can detract from the ultimate sound potential of a bass. Tone wood, nut, bridge etc.

But imagine adding in all the other sonic detraction's, without even touching on gain and signal paths, cables and strings etc

So have any of you found the magic combination, A bright cab that helps a dull bass, or an Amp with EQ centers that compliment your bass and Cab.

How many of us heed that advice and take our bass and maybe our cab with us when buying a new amp, or bass and amp to buy a cab

Do we often throw the baby out with the bath water, and sell on gear without analyzing why we are out of love with our sound.

Over to you

Hmm... Lots in the OP to ponder?

I've had loads of basses, amps and cabs over the years and would say that as far as basses go, I've finally settled on three that just feel and sound right for me in every way; my passive 1984 BC Rich Eagle that I've had for almost 15 years now, a 2004 Gibson Thunderbird that I bought last year which  has been an absolute revelation to me (having never owned a Gibson before). And just recently, I bought an almost mint condition 1998 Fender Roscoe Beck V, which is the fourth RBV I've owned but is by far and away the best of the lot.

All three basses are passive and that seems to sit best with my rig, which is an Ampeg V4BH head and matching 210 + 115.

I love the way it sounds; it just sits in the band's overall sound perfectly.

So all in all, I'm pretty happy with my lot!

There's a few things that niggle away in the GAS area of my brain though....

A hankering to use the Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 head I have with a Mesa cab (which I don't have) - I think that could be pretty exciting... I'd like a lighter cab set up but still haven't heard any that seem to feel right to me. And I keep trying to get hold of a P Bass that I can fall in love with, but I've still not found one that has been a keeper yet.

Mind you, there's still plenty of time, so I'm not worrying about it too much... 😁

Like many i've had various basses and rigs that have come and gone. I still have my Warwick Thumb NT4 from 89 that i just love playing but too heavy now to do a full gig.

My goto bass is my CIJ Geddy Jazz. Love playing it and i can get a good sound thru most rigs with it.

My current fav rig is my GK1001RBii thru my Berg HT322 but the cab is a beast to carry. Like my Markbass combo and ext cab and it gives me a great sound no matter the venue but doesn't have the same tonal character as the other rig.

At the moment i'm contemplating selling a fair bit of gear to fund a Mesa Subway rig that i will try before buying but i've not read any poor reviews on them and they do sound great in the VID clips i've watched and ones that guys have sent me to let me hear their set up without FOH support.

So i guess i'm stil not 100% happy just yet.

Dave