Why become a member? ×

Live Albums - Were You There?

spongebob

Any BC'ers ever 'appeared' on a live album?

I was lucky enough to be at the gig that was released as 'Live At The Garage 2002' by The Fall. I've always been thrilled that I was there!

https://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-the-garage-london-20-april-2002-mw0000477805

How about anyone else? Anybody 'Live And Dangerous' or any others?

10 minutes ago, spongebob said:

How about anyone else? Anybody 'Live And Dangerous' or any others?

That is actually the nearest I have come to it.  I saw Thin Lizzy on that tour at Wembley but I don't think anything from that night was recorded.  If some quarters are to be believed, most of it was recorded in the studio afterwards anyway!

I was at the Reebok stadium the night Coldplay filmed their video for "fix you". I'm a tiny dot in the crowd in that.

Red Hot Chilli's sold MP3 albums of their 2012 tour. It was a great idea but sadly the biggest disappointment Ive ever had from a band (the gig, the MP3 was done so you could actually hear the vocal).

• Haha 1

Coming down a division or two, I was at ex-Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley's new band Frehley's Comet 1988 show at the Hammy Odeon which made it into DVD and later YouTube. I mentioned this on a forum on Facebook and got a like from bassman John Regan which I was pleased about. It was my first show and I loved it. 

I'm singing backing vocals along with about 100,000 other people on Iron Maiden's 'Live at Donnington' from 1993.

Not albums but I was also at the Birmingham NEC gig where Alice Cooper recorded his 'Alice trashes the world' live video and at the Chili Peppers gig at Slaine Castle which was released on DVD.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

That is actually the nearest I have come to it.  I saw Thin Lizzy on that tour at Wembley but I don't think anything from that night was recorded.  If some quarters are to be believed, most of it was recorded in the studio afterwards anyway!

Ah, the great live album that was mostly recorded in the studio. Having seen quite a few of the 70's great live at the time, it was pretty clear that had those performances made it to tape, the live albums in question would have been disasters. The story of the edits to Rock of Ages by The Band is quite amusing also :(

Not a live album as such, but myself and a couple of mates were on the guestlist at the Royal Concert Hall Nottingham in 1983 when Saxon filmed their live video. In fact, one might almost claim to have played a crucial role in the end result...

We'd travelled down from Blackpool in a hired pale yellow Mini Metro (not the most rock 'n' roll of vehicles!). Almost as soon as we got there, one of the roadcrew collared us and asked if we'd come by car - apparently Graham Oliver needed a guitar picking up from Carlsbro Music in Leicester, could we take one of the crew and go for it? So, off we trundle to Leicester, collect a sunburst Squier Strat from Carlsbro, fuel up the car at Saxon's expense, and head back to Nottingham.

All gig, we're watching from the balcony at the side of the stage waiting for *our* guitar to make an appearance. Eventually, just when we've given up all hope, out it comes for "And The Bands Played On". Then this happens...

https://youtu.be/wY-lyxqHzNM?t=36m55s

Yep, *our* guitar gets thrown about, doused in lighter fuel, and set alight. Bloomin' rock stars, don't they know how much trouble (i.e. missed opportunities for ligging) went in to getting the darn thing here in the first place?!!! 🙈

Edited by tony_m
  • Haha 1

The Jam at Newcastle City Hall  Dec' 79, not a live album but IIRC filmed and shown on a Tyne Tees programme called Check It Out.

Rainbow Live At Castle Donington Aug' 80.

The Damned's  Live In Newcastle Oct' 82.

Thin Lizzy Live At Reading Festival Aug' 83.

I could also be on Motörhead's No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, depending on which night at Newcastle Mayfair We Are The Road Crew was recorded.

Edited by pst62

10 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

I saw Weather Report on the tour that became the 8.30 album. Not sure if any of it was recorded at the Brighton Dome but I was there.

Aagh, don't. I had tickets for the Hammersmith Odeon gig. Forgot to go 😪

I was in the crowd watching Here & Now play in the solstice at Stonehenge in (I think) 1978, which then became the album 'What You See is What You Are' with ATV on the other side. On the last ATV track you can hear the members of H&N coming on and slowly taking over as ATV faded away. I was close to the stage (Stonehenge was never a big festival) while this was happening, and H&N had travelled to Stonehenge in their bus direct from the house I was living in in Leeds at the time. Such happy daze, hard to believe it was 40 years ago.

I was at the Bob Marley & the Wailers gig in the summer of1975 at the Lyceum in London. This was the gig that the single 'No woman no cry' was edited from, although I think they recorded two gigs on consecutive nights, and I can't remember which one I was at! Anyway, the album 'Bob Marley & The Wailers Live' was the result, which became a massive seller when released. I went to the gig with a friend, and to be honest (to my shame) I didn't know much about BM, other than the odd track I'd heard. My friend was a student in London and just bought the tickets on impulse, so was quite a result! I was 17 and had passed my driving test not long before and drove down to London in my Morris Minor! My memories of the gig are a bit hazy, although I do remember thinking it was amazing.

Quite a few of my mates attended the gig at Hull City Hall in 1970 by The Who which went on to become 'Live at Leeds' . I remember seeing the gig advertised but at 12 was a bit young to be allowed to go by my folks. The whole Hull gig was recorded but due to some technical problems the Leeds recordings from a previous night made it to the final cut and became the iconic album. There's always been some debate around here as to whether the album was made up of both the Hull and Leeds gigs, and the Hull recording was released not long ago as part of a Live at Leeds box set. Also they may have thought calling the album 'Live at Hull' didn't sound cool enough? 😄

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Forgot? That’s a shocker. (Was a great gig btw)

5 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

I was at Rush's gig at the NEC Birmingham on the 'Show of Hands' video. I think it was the 'Hold Your Fire' tour. Great gig it was too.

Yes, I was there too :D

I'm also lurking on Level 42's 'Physical Presence' live album.

I've been at a few which were filmed:

Machine Head at Brixton Academy

Muse at Wembley Satdium

Opeth at The Roundhouse

Opeth at The Royal Albert Hall

Obviously, you'd have no idea I was there, but they're nice souverniers.

W.e.e.ll...me, my brother and a coupla mates are in the Slade in Flame big gig scenes waving a bedsheet with FLAME sprayed on. I got 4 free tickets via the Slade fan club. I was 13 at the time, my brother was 11, we travelled down by train on our own....how times have changed 😎

• Like 4