Why become a member? ×

RIP Aretha Franklin

chris_b

Way way back around 1967/8,  I was working in one of the coffee bars at Butlins, Clacton-on-Sea. There was a bright red Wurlitzer juke-box full of great songs, including R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which was played almost continually (along with Tramp by Otis Redding & Carla Thomas).  Happy days.

R.I.P. Aretha Franklin - Thankyou for giving so much musical pleasure to so many people.

I can still remember the first time I heard Aretha on the radio.  I was at school and would be 16 years old.  Standing in line waiting to go into the dinner hall (made of asbestos!) I was listening to Radio Caroline North on my little medium wave transistor radio.  Bob Stewart played Aretha singing "I Ain't Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You".  Life was never the same after that.

On 17/08/2018 at 18:12, NickD said:

I honestly can't think of a better voice. RIP.

+1

RIP Aretha Franklin.

Another one of the truly great artists that will probably never be equalled..

She was top of a relatively recent Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Singers of all time poll and this quote about her always sticks in my mind:

“No one can copy her,” Jerry Wexler, Franklin’s legacy-defining Atlantic Records producer, memorably argued. “She’s all alone in her greatness.”

Read More: Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, Has Died | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/aretha-franklin-dead/?trackback=tsmclip

On 16/08/2018 at 12:22, louisthebass said:

Aretha was the greatest female Soul / Rhythm & Blues vocalist of our time. When they made the likes of Aretha & Otis Redding, they broke the mould...

A once in a lifetime artist. I'm so lucky to have been the right age to grow up with her career and gift.

By the way, ever heard this type of description, " she's the new Aretha" ?

Well, there is no "new Aretha" and they'll never be one. Aretha, end of story.

Blue

• Like 4

On 20/08/2018 at 01:51, Bluewine said:

A once in a lifetime artist. I'm so lucky to have been the right age to grow up with her career and gift.

By the way, ever heard this type of description, " she's the new Aretha" ?

Well, there is no "new Aretha" and they'll never be one. Aretha, end of story.

Blue

Agreed - many have tried to emulate Aretha, but they didn't call her the "Queen of Soul" for nothing. So much Soul, Gospel, and passion in that voice...

On 21/08/2018 at 13:47, louisthebass said:

Agreed - many have tried to emulate Aretha, but they didn't call her the "Queen of Soul" for nothing. So much Soul, Gospel, and passion in that voice...

Big difference between being a great artist, being talented, being good and being born with a gift. Aretha Franklin is one of the few born with a gift.

Poor quality but worth watching, she smoking on the Fender Rohdes.

Blue

• Like 1