Why become a member? ×

Just Buy Them - things you wish you bought sooner

SamPlaysBass

6 hours ago, Williams4S said:

Are they serious that good then? I’ve got a G&L L2000 I’m looking to release a bit of money from and gaining something with a P pickup. Might fit the bill. 

make sure you get the 'reissue' ones, i think there was a lesser range before then.

also, there are different models within the V4 reissue range. I have a black V4 standard (which ive swapped the hardware to gold) on, and it has a lacquered neck and slightly echoy pick ups. Sounds great and  easy to play. I also have a V4 icon in sunburst, that has a smooth neck and slightly growly pickups. Again, sounds great and easy to play.

IMPORTANT: one thing i will add, is that i added shielding tape to the underside of the pick guard and cavities inside - cost £10 for a massive role from b&q. This eliminated any hum you might get.

I made a slight diary of one of them here:

I love them for loads of reasons, but also not worrying myself sick about dropping it, or losing it, or having it stolen (although itd be bad its not £1000 bad) is a major relief. £200 and youre back up and running!

On 16/08/2018 at 17:16, la bam said:

The rig (in the last 6 months) has gone from:

Class D MarkBass EVO 1 & Barefaced Super Compact (to be fair a great rig).

to

Markbass EVO 1 & Markbass 6x10 ported cab.

to

Ashdown EVO IV ABM 600 & Markbass 6x10 ported cab.

Recently used a mb 610 myself.. sounded amazingly good 👍🏻

11 hours ago, project_c said:

Same here, and that’s the tone I usually go for too. It took me about 8 years before I got a decent passive Fender Jazz, I wish I had got there sooner. I like Fenders in general, I have P’s and PJ’s, all great but the passive J is winning at the moment.

I did two gigs in a day last month, precision on the first and jazz on the second. Much preferred the jazz tonewise for that back pickup but my P is a monster. Considering one of those "double j" pickups added at the bridge of my P rather than investing in a new jazz or PJ. Don't know if it will de-value the bass, or if I should just do it...

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I did two gigs in a day last month, precision on the first and jazz on the second. Much preferred the jazz tonewise for that back pickup but my P is a monster. Considering one of those "double j" pickups added at the bridge of my P rather than investing in a new jazz or PJ. Don't know if it will de-value the bass, or if I should just do it...

I think it would devalue your p if you add to it  it might be worth getting something like this  I have one and you definitely get the best of both worlds and the neck on mine is so comfortable 

5CC8D559-2D7B-4A3D-97C8-47372DB738AD.png

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I’ve put a single J in one of my USA Precisions, a 90s model I think but it was already modded anyway. I find the PJ configuration can be funny sometimes, I end up either just using the P or the J, but I don’t like them blended together quite as much. I did have a bass a while ago with a double jazz pickup at the bridge, it sounded amazing so unless it’s a vintage bass I say go for it.

On 16/08/2018 at 17:12, Daz39 said:

Decent mattress - £400 of memory foam loveliness. My back is very grateful.

This. I blew the thick end of a grand on my current mattress and ohhhhhhhh god it is wwwwwwwwwonderful.

• Like 1