Why become a member? ×

Beginner-is, on the hunt for a new bass, need advice.

cailbass

Hi! I'm relatively new to bass, currently, I have a very old, kind of rough Rogue Series 2 sx100B bass, and am thinking of a minor upgrade.

I don't have the money for a $600+ guitar right now, but I do want something a little better than what I have now, ideally, one that I could use potentially for some small scale shows.

I had been looking at the fender squire series, the Ibanez GSR200, and the Gibson eb-0 as well. I mainly play rock/punk music so something that would be able to produce a good sound but still is affordable. Any recommendations at all would be greatly appreciated.

Try as many as you can, so many people will say Precision but it didn’t work for me. The second I got my hands on the neck of a Thunderbird I knew I was at home. Nothing has come close to changing that. Everyone is different, take the time to work out what fits you best

I started out with a Jazz bass (Fender mexican), and still use the same one until today. It still feels great and still my go-to Bass when I'm jamming. I invested a bit more than 650 because I still wanted a Bass that I'll keep and not throw away after a year or two to upgrade. So try considering a bit of a higher budget if possible. If not the Squier Mustang as suggested by Burns-Bass is a great choice as well. 

Good luck

I'd go with what others have said & try as many as possible because there's no one suits all answer. My recommendation though would be to check out the Vintage Reissue range great basses at a great price. I play in an Oi! band & my V4 (their version of the P bass) fits in really well.