Why become a member? ×

Too old for rock and roll

christhammer666

I'm in the process of auditioning with an originals band who are significantly younger than me and simultaneously trying to recruit a drummer for another start-up, where again the potential recruits all seem to be far younger than us. We're up front about it, but a 20 year age gap isn't uncommon. I think maybe up to 10 years ago it mattered, but now not so much. In the covers world it may never have mattered and in the originals world there's no money anymore, so musical compatibility is all that matters. It might matter in London I suppose where you have more choices, but just trying to find good enough players with the right taste and motivations is a big enough hurdle round here.

47 minutes ago, mikel said:

I am 66 and I find it is more likely bands are more mature in age, the exception seems to be originals bands and that's what I would expect. Kids should be angry, outsiders, have something to say, and music is one way to get it out. Me? I am just angry that I did not have a better private pension in place when I retired. :biggrin:

So you went from sticking it to 'the man' to sticking it to the 'pensions actuary'! That's rock & roll! 😃

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Mind you, middle-aged blokes in bands have a whole different set of quirks from young people in bands and that's something else you'll have to get used to :(

Ain't that the truth. Moaning about various various ailments and afflictions becomes mandatory from about 40 onwards xD

I managed to catch Black Sabbath on the 13 tour, and for a bunch of old blokes with drug problems older than me (I'm 47) they have still got it. Their performance puts many of the younger bands to shame. 

11 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

As the great man in my avatar once said "if you think you're too old for rock and roll, then you probably are"

I turned 39 Sunday and have noticed the last year or so im having more and more trouble finding a rock/metal band due to my age. I have had a few replies saying im to old (which im obviously not) but I can understand it if the band are in their early 20s.itll get worse next year when im 40 and everyone thinks you are a dressing gown moaning about the weather. I have no intentions of stopping playing the music I love but I find it worrying that bands are dismissive straight off the bat just because of a number

What do you guys think ?

I joined a new band last year (I was 42). It didn't work out for a number of reasons, but partly because the other band members, despite being in their late 30's, had teenage expectations of how much work was required to get gigging. Apparently 1/2 a rehearsal was enough for a new,  original song, then move on to the next; planning gigs a fortnight away with a setlist of 3 partially finished songs etc. Not impressed.

I think that you're never too old to rock n' roll (JT), but maturity and experience makes you a better musician and band member.

You'll find the right band & forget all about the yoofs 😀

Good luck!

• Like 1

I recall back in the 80s reading interviews where the Stones were asked if they were too old to continue because they were 40. Rock 'n' Roll was a new thing in the 50s and it stands to reason we all got older. It was no longer something for the teen-age (sic). I think across rock, blues, country, soul, folk, jazz etc, age is no issue. If you were trying to be in a boy band, I'm sure there is an age limit but personally speaking, at 45 I'm a better player, having more fun and less stress than the 22yr old version of me.

60 this year. Oldest in the band by 15 years. Couldn't care less what people think about age - if it sounds good and people like it, do it. Do feel a bit self conscious playing 'Teenage Kicks' though and tend to look at the floor or the amp settings quite a bit during that one.

5 minutes ago, Japhet said:

60 this year. Oldest in the band by 15 years. Couldn't care less what people think about age - if it sounds good and people like it, do it. Do feel a bit self conscious playing 'Teenage Kicks' though and tend to look at the floor or the amp settings quite a bit during that one.

I feel exactly the same when playing Teenage Kicks and I thing just about every band I've been involved with has done that song.o.O

1 hour ago, mentalextra said:

So you went from sticking it to 'the man' to sticking it to the 'pensions actuary'! That's rock & roll! 😃

Nail on head, sadly. Nah, I can't complain, I have played with some wonderful people and made some great friends through music. I am still 18 and high on life but I have no idea who that old git in the mirror is. :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Well If you are 60 this year Teenage Kicks is right from your era, you would have just been 20 when it was released, so why feel uncomfortable playing it? :$

Do you really want to hang around with a bunch of kids? I can't imagine anything worse! :D

I'm playing better now than I ever have and very much enjoying my latest band, who are the best musicians I've ever played with in 40-odd years.

it's true, if you think you're past it then you probably are. I think my finest hour is still ahead of me. Deluded? Possibly. But I'm enjoying every minute - and that's what it's all about. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, missis sumner said:

I'm 48 and relatively new to this, so what do I need to know?

Don't let anyone know about your Sanatogen and Deep Heat addictions - before you know it there'll be an embarrassing intervention.

And don't leave your wig or teeth lying around - people get very agitated about them for some reason. 

Good luck! ;)

Edited by discreet

Well, I'm 63 and just starting out. In my last rock band I was the youngest by five years. Drummer and lead (and a brilliant lead he was and is too) were 70, keys 68, rhythm 68.  The drummer was almost totally deaf with tinnitus, keys had something wrong with his inner ear and was totally deaf in that ear - he could only hear the band if you put him on the right side of the band. Lead had dicky knees and needed an op and could could only play sitting down. Rhythm n me were the only ones with most things working and I'm half deaf. We concluded that we mostly played from memory.    

Edited by lownote12

15 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

As the great man in my avatar once said "if you think you're too old for rock and roll, then you probably are"

I turned 39 Sunday and have noticed the last year or so im having more and more trouble finding a rock/metal band due to my age. I have had a few replies saying im to old (which im obviously not) but I can understand it if the band are in their early 20s.itll get worse next year when im 40 and everyone thinks you are a dressing gown moaning about the weather. I have no intentions of stopping playing the music I love but I find it worrying that bands are dismissive straight off the bat just because of a number

What do you guys think ?

Utter rubbish xD I am heading for 52 and have joined a proper "rock" band a couple of weeks ago, the singer's dad writes the songs and plays rhythm guitar, he, the drummer and myself are all over 50 the lead guitarist and singer and both mid to late 20's, the band in one form or another has been running since 1984. 

I am entering my "Keef" phase which will hopefully see me rocking out for another 30 years or more strung out on drugs ( pain killers and antacids mostly) and the odd glass of red wine....not at the same time obviously!

I will not know when I an too old as at that point I will be dead!  

We`re an originals punk band, ages are 49, 52 & 55, being all the same age group we have similar life experiences and backgrounds. Age does make a difference to those it makes a difference to, find peple who arent bothered by it and its then easy, but its a lot easier when you are all of a similar age.

I'm the eldest in the band at 61, the lead guitarist is 60 the drummer 55 and the singer/rhythm guitarist 48. We have never spoken about age, play classic covers and are actively looking for gigs. We also have the best interaction between band mates since I joined 20 years or so go.

I am in a band with 2 other guys in their late 50's - I am 59 (the drummer is a bit younger, although he has only been with us about 5 years)  We formed the band 18 years ago and named it OGMAN..... at the time,  it was an acronym for Old Gits Making A Noise....

That was 18 years ago...  !!   Should we re-name the band FOGMAN  ?? 

You are never too old !!

• Haha 2

Last year, when I still was 60, I applied for the vacant keys job with the Rolling Stones.

"Sorry, mate!", Keith said with a kind and considerate voice. "We think you're just too old for rock and roll! We mean: we're going to South-America again in a fortnight. How do you imagine carrying that huge church organ with you everywhere? If only you'd exchange it with a MIDI keyboard and some modules, we'd have you right away!"

I declined.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, milford59 said:

I am in a band with 2 other guys in their late 50's - I am 59 (the drummer is a bit younger, although he has only been with us about 5 years)  We formed the band 18 years ago and named it OGMAN..... at the time,  it was an acronym for Old Gits Making A Noise....

That was 18 years ago...  !!   Should we re-name the band FOGMAN  ?? 

You are never too old !!

The F being for Frail, I assume? xD

5 hours ago, Teebs said:

Apparently 1/2 a rehearsal was enough for a new,  original song, then move on to the next; planning gigs a fortnight away with a setlist of 3 partially finished songs etc. Not impressed.

I think that you're never too old to rock n' roll (JT), but maturity and experience makes you a better musician and band member.

This hits the nail on the head, and nicely exposes a great mismatch: at 18, we're full of ambition and energy, but we're also incredibly naive, especially to the scale of hard work involved. By the time we're seeing out the end of our thirties, we have a much better understanding of how hard we need to work - and how to do that work more efficiently - but life has rather drained us of that spark and drive along the way.

Or to put it another way, if 23-year-old me had known then what 33-year-old me knows now, I could have been regularly playing to literally tens of people by now.

6 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

...if 23-year-old me had known then what 33-year-old me knows now, I could have been regularly playing to literally tens of people by now.

If 18-year-old me knew what 58-year-old me knows now, I wouldn't have spent forty years in the pub. :shok: