Why become a member? ×

Too old for rock and roll

christhammer666

As the great man in my avatar once said "if you think you're too old for rock and roll, then you probably are"

I turned 39 Sunday and have noticed the last year or so im having more and more trouble finding a rock/metal band due to my age. I have had a few replies saying im to old (which im obviously not) but I can understand it if the band are in their early 20s.itll get worse next year when im 40 and everyone thinks you are a dressing gown moaning about the weather. I have no intentions of stopping playing the music I love but I find it worrying that bands are dismissive straight off the bat just because of a number

What do you guys think ?

Edited by Rich

I’m 49. My other two band mates are 45 and 35. 

Most people my age are playing blues and classic rock. I don’t want to play that, I want to play modern stuff, which we do. I’m lucky that I look ten years younger than I am. My age was never asked when I auditioned and I got the job, obviously. Had I offered my age when I first contacted them (I was 46 then) without having met them they may have dismissed me as being too old.

Age is irrelevant really, but I can understand why it’s an issue for many bands. Are bands you’re looking to join actually asking your age? You probably don’t want to lie about your age but maybe just, well, lie? 

• Like 1

I've just auditioned for a band where drummer is in his 30's, the guitarist is 27, and the singer is 29 and she has the most amazing voice I've ever heard (think Joplin, Beth Hart, etc), when I applied, I did mention that I might be too old for them, but they offered me the gig after the audition even though I am 66, they said that they are not bothered at all by my age, they felt I fitted in well and liked the way I played, so don't be put off at such a tender age of 39, you've got many years left to rock! 😊

• Like 3

Currently playing in one of the most easy going and enjoyable (and getting very musically slick) bands I have been in. At very nearly 60 I am the second youngest. As a by the by, does anyone have a flight case for Zimmer frame going spare. Just find the right set of like minded band members (which is the hard part).

Edited by 3below

@OP

Yes, some hard rock / metal bands comprised of young people will probably turn their noses up at you. More fool them and who wants to hang around with fools?  So go play with people around your age. For one thing, they won't be obsessing about 'making it' and for another they'll probably be more experienced musicians. 

Mind you, middle-aged blokes in bands have a whole different set of quirks from young people in bands and that's something else you'll have to get used to :(

All the local guys I know are early to late 50s, most still gigging regularly and have still have a bit of a rock and roll about them. 

I've just done a stint depping for a band who are all in their 60s whilst their regular bass player recovered from a serious medical procedure. They might definitely look a bit older / less rock and roll but they''re still out there doing it, gigging virtually every weekend. Never too old... 

I'm 47 now and when I started looking for bands again a couple of years ago I had the same problem you just need to persevere and you will find something, these days I'm playing in two bands, though I did suffer a few rejections due to my age before I got lucky.

OK, we’re not gigging (yet, but two provisionally lined up), at 72, 72, 71, 65, and a mere youngster at 56, we don’t feel too old for rock and roll - or any music in our set.

We started from scratch earlier in the year, initially just for the fun of it, but as we’d all been in and out of bands over many years, things came together fairly quickly.

One of the best 'house bands' I’ve seen in a long time, The New Amen Corner, has a father and son in their lineup, so maybe there’s hope for the OP yet.

I'll be 39 next week. I've never been told I'm "too old," but there are loads of adverts which are 20-30 only. Fair enough, it's their band. I generally don't mention my age as I look about 5 years younger than I really am. I generally find that as long as I don't get into a situation where war stories are being told, nobody will know.

As someone who plays in the progressive metal genre, it's quite niche anyway so limiting by age in adverts may and does exist, it's generally not mentioned overtly.

• Like 1

I am 66 and I find it is more likely bands are more mature in age, the exception seems to be originals bands and that's what I would expect. Kids should be angry, outsiders, have something to say, and music is one way to get it out. Me? I am just angry that I did not have a better private pension in place when I retired. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm 54, our singer and guitarist are 21 and 24 respectively. Drums 46 and keys 39. We are a function band (so cheesy pop from 50's to now) but age has never had anything to do with it. We get on together and are all around the same standard, so we fit together musically too. The drummer and I are both into heavy rock (so nothing like the music we play) but that makes no difference to the band at all. Age shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1