Why become a member? ×

Eastwood Custom Basschat Edition Bass?

NancyJohnson

Should we try and get Eastwood Custom to make a Basschat edition bass?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Eastwood Custom Basschat Edition Bass?

It's a little sad (and to be honest, not unexpected) that a discussion which started out barely 36 hours ago as the possibility to actually do something fun, has deteriorated into the usual knob-gag innuendos and Carry-On-esque double-entendres.  No wonder the country is in such a state.

Christ on a bike @Sercet, if you want a Shergold, there's eBay.  There's an original four string one up on there now with a buy it now of less than £400.00; I'm sure you could convert it to a baritone for somewhat less than this project will cost you.

I need a drink.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Yes, apologies to the OP for going OT. Again. 9_9

I also like the basic concept. But knowing the membership as I do, it's going to be a bit like herding cats.

Ask 12 members what their ideal bass would be and you're going to get 12 different basses. If not more. ;)

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's a little sad (and to be honest, not unexpected) that a discussion which started out barely 36 hours ago as the possibility to actually do something fun, has deteriorated into the usual knob-gag innuendos and Carry-On-esque double-entendres.  No wonder the country is in such a state.

Christ on a bike @Sercet, if you want a Shergold, there's eBay.  There's an original four string one up on there now with a buy it now of less than £400.00; I'm sure you could convert it to a baritone for somewhat less than this project will cost you.

I need a drink.

I'm not sure I agree. 

I don't actually want a Shergold; actually I do, but an original UK one.  I love the whole Shergold story; a range of basses and guitars that were a good-value, high-quality alternative to expensive American or poor quality instruments.  I love the association with Joy Division / New Order / UK Subs / Buzzcocks etc.  But you are correct.  If I want a Shergold, I could just buy one. 

When I suggested the Shergold, what I really meant to say was a short scale, E-e bass with string spacing between that of a "normal" six sting bass, and the Fender bass VI. I just said Shergold as a shortcut.  I'm not sure that I could convert that Shergold to a VI, but I could buy a Fender VI, Eastwood Sidejack, or a...

Name any bass, and I'm sure we could come up with something close. 

I'd argue that my suggestion fits in perfectly with the Eastwood philosophy - quirky instruments with a cult following, that are no longer available.

How about a 4005?

I need a biscuit.

x

17 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I need a drink.

AFAICS (knob jokes aside) the Ned Callan and the 6-string Shergold are probably the most sensible suggestions so far, and most certainly fit Eastwood's method of working which is to take an instrument that not only is no longer being made, but no-one else is currently making anything similar.

27 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Don't they do a replica of the Ovation Breadwinner?

That would be cool as a bass IMO.

Their version of the Breadwinner isn't very accurate to the original.

There was for a while have a version of the Magnum I bass on the Eastwood site (it's not there any more) that had so little in common with the original Ovation model (nothing except for a similar shaped body IIRC) that it was laughable.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Their version of the Breadwinner isn't very accurate to the original.

There was for a while have a version of the Magnum I bass on the Eastwood site (it's not there any more) that had so little in common with the original Ovation model (nothing except for a similar shaped body IIRC) that it was laughable.

6C9EAA1C-C5E9-44F7-BE9D-58BF43ED631A.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

This is kind of what I was hoping would come up.  Personally not a fan of the headstock or the ashtray, but otherwise cool.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to build an Ibis-influenced bass myself - always felt the headstock proportion, rather than the shape was what looks "off" about it. Just needs to be smaller, I think.

I'd probably slim down the top bout of the body a bit to make it look a little less bulbous, too. I quite like the ashtray on the original but wouldn't envisage a contemporary version having one in the first place!

Edited by Bassassin

11 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Also - can I request the poll be amended to include a "maybe" or "it depends" option?

I'm probably not alone in being into the idea in principle but it really does depend on what - if anything - we can agreee on.

Yes - totally agree

38 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Also - can I request the poll be amended to include a "maybe" or "it depends" option?

I'm probably not alone in being into the idea in principle but it really does depend on what - if anything - we can agreee on.

Yeah. To be honest the Lakland LOG basses worked because they had 3 or 4 models to choose from and then an options list with 10 options and 20 colours.

I’d love a recreation of the Fretless Washburn SB-40 used on Graceland, but not many would be on board with that - too many variables when you start with a blank canvas...

On 18/08/2018 at 19:09, EssentialTension said:

A variant of this, the 1964 Hagstrom Coronado ...

1964_Hagstrom_Coronado.jpg

...using Curtis Novak Bisonics ...

BS-DS-1.jpg

There was also a Bass VI version of the Coronado but I can't find a pic.

I had one of those for a while, before I decided a career in Irish music beckoned and traded it for a bouzouki. Oops. Whattamistakatomaka!

From what I remember it was a great sounding bass and nice to play, certainly a lot nicer than the Vox Wyman heap of stinky poo which preceded it.

11 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

What makes those bisonics different sound wise?

YouTube but some examples here ... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bisonic+novak

I've neither played nor heard the Novak Bisonics live but I used to have a DeArmond Starfire with Hammon Dark Stars which sounded thunderous and deep with lots of mids and highs too.

There's a subjective element in this of course.

(Alembicized) Guild Starfire with original Hagstrom Bisonics and possibly Pyramid Gold strings through a Versatone combo and a Fender Showman ...

I have just seen the Rivolto Combinata on eastwoods site which was designed by Dennis Fano. It’s a cool shape and I actually quite like the headstock too, so if that could be modified or adapted to a short or medium scale that would be interesting. Get some nice hipshot hardware on there and some cool pickups and it could be a pretty cool retro bass.

I like a lot of Fano guitar designs and ideas so maybe seeing what they could come up with would be cool. 

• Like 1