Why become a member? ×

Eastwood Custom Basschat Edition Bass?

NancyJohnson

Should we try and get Eastwood Custom to make a Basschat edition bass?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Eastwood Custom Basschat Edition Bass?

9 minutes ago, ead said:

So lucky escape for us all then :ph34r:

Maybe that’s what I want you to think. One day you’ll be lazing in bed on a Sunday morning only to catch something with your big toe, only to find you’ve kicked a synth stick and triggered a tsunami of octave filter mulch that’ll give you diarrhoea 

• Haha 2

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:40, Bassassin said:

matonibisbass1.jpg

I'm not 100% positive, but I think that could well be the single ugliest thing of any sort that I have ever seen. And I'm including Jacob Rees-Smugg, Hereford town centre and the SsangYong Rodius in that, so it's up against some pretty tough competition.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Maybe that’s what I want you to think. One day you’ll be lazing in bed on a Sunday morning only to catch something with your big toe, only to find you’ve kicked a synth stick and triggered a tsunami of octave filter mulch that’ll give you diarrhoea 

Octave filter mulch.

That’s the next band name sorted.

On 18/08/2018 at 19:09, EssentialTension said:

A variant of this, the 1964 Hagstrom Coronado ...

1964_Hagstrom_Coronado.jpg

Now that's a nice 'un. Easy to see where Zon got the Legacy body shape from :lol:

Seems to be the groundswell of opinion is heading towards a, shall we say, warmer and more vintage-y sounding instrument. Fair enough but not my personal cuppa char.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

Now that's a nice 'un. Easy to see where Zon got the Legacy body shape from :lol:

Seems to be the groundswell of opinion is heading towards a, shall we say, warmer and more vintage-y sounding instrument. Fair enough but not my personal cuppa char.

If we did go with something like the Hagstrom, we'd definitely need to better it in certain areas.  The bridge is horrific.  And god knows what the control panel actually does.

34 minutes ago, walbassist said:

I can end this debate in one picture.  A Fender Bass V done right, with an added J pickup and proper BEADG tuning.

IMG_4774.JPG?v=1444113057

Like that a lot but it needs a 20% reduction in the number of strings for us less talented mortals.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

If we did go with something like the Hagstrom, we'd definitely need to better it in certain areas.  The bridge is horrific.  And god knows what the control panel actually does.

From memory, there were two on-off switches for the pickups and two different tone settings, one bassy and one trebly. There is also a slider under the bar for overall volume.

The long bar under the pickups was a finger rest. It was a push-fit into two holes at either end, and could be lifted out.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

... And god knows what the control panel actually does.

Coronado bass control consul

The controls of early Hagstrom guitars very much underline the companies history as an accordion manufacturer. Generally instruments are fitted with push-button controls rather than rotary potentiometers. The Coronado was no exception, having a four switch control consul, switches numbered 1-4. The first two buttons are pickup selectors: 1 = neck pickup, 2 = bridge pickup, 31 + 2 = both pickups. Switches 3 and 4 are a "filter system" designed "to be adjusted to match input of connected amplifier". In practise, these represent a tone control, with switch 3 providing a bassier tone, and switch 4 producing more treble. Note, later examples had these buttons labelled 1, 2, L, H - (L = low, H = high) compare with a 1966 Coronado IV. The output jack on these early and mid-period examples is an integral part of the scratchplate; later this would be replaced by a surface-mounted output. Source: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/hagstrom/bass/1964_Coronado.php
Edited by EssentialTension

22 minutes ago, pete.young said:

From memory, there were two on-off switches for the pickups and two different tone settings, one bassy and one trebly. There is also a slider under the bar for overall volume.

The long bar under the pickups was a finger rest. It was a push-fit into two holes at either end, and could be lifted out.

Correct.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

How about something like that Hagstrom with say a babicz bridge, dimarzio pickups to keep the look and an ACG filter circuit? Or have I went too far?

• 2 years later...
On 17/08/2018 at 16:17, NancyJohnson said:

It's a little sad (and to be honest, not unexpected) that a discussion which started out barely 36 hours ago as the possibility to actually do something fun, has deteriorated into the usual knob-gag innuendos and Carry-On-esque double-entendres.  No wonder the country is in such a state.

Christ on a bike @Sercet, if you want a Shergold, there's eBay.  There's an original four string one up on there now with a buy it now of less than £400.00; I'm sure you could convert it to a baritone for somewhat less than this project will cost you.

I need a drink.

Turns out this wasn’t that dumb a question after all. 
https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/bass/products/hooky-bass-6-pro

2 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Nice thread resurrection

I wonder whether its worth suggesting one of these as the original manufacturer has no interest...

Apparently, these were not popular when available.  I wonder what the manufacturing cost would be.  Obviously never going to happen.

Let’s get back to that Basschat bass.  How about and 8 string acoustic?  Twin neck bass / mandola?  

53 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Nice thread resurrection

I wonder whether its worth suggesting one of these as the original manufacturer has no interest in reissuing them

I was just going to suggest the same thing! A funky modern take on a 4005 would be ace. Maybe with bisonic/dark Star pickups? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Nice thread resurrection

I wonder whether its worth suggesting one of these as the original manufacturer has no interest in reissuing them

There are a thousand shonky Chinese knockoffs of this out there already. All Eastwood would do is order a bunch of these with their logo on.

And quadruple the price.