Why become a member? ×

Shout out for Andertons

geoffbyrne

I bought a Sire Marcus Miller M7 in February.  Most impressed.  It has replaced my TRB5 completely.  However, playing an open mic last night & turned the Frequency part of the stacked knob round to high end & turned up the Tone volume.  Did number fine, then was turning back to flat when I experienced a big CRUNCH from the pot.  Since I use this setting for several numbers I was concerned.  Indeed by the end of the night this had progressed to several crunches quite close together.

After I got home I stuck on my headphones and examined the problem.  There were about 3 places quite close together crunching and if you got the setting right on top of one you got feedback overpowering everything.  If you switched to passive mode you could still hear it.  Not good.  I changed the batteries to no avail as I know some preamps give this kind of signal when battery is low.

Phoned Andertons this morning & was passed to their bassman, Dave, who asked all the right questions and after a a few minutes agreed it sounded like a faulty pot and would get the item collected and repaired.  I've arranged for it to be collected week today.

No probs.  How it should be.  Thanks Andertons.  And I'm going to mark the circuit board so I know if it has been replaced or if they've just used a blast of pot cleaner.  OK, I'm paranoid.  :)

Anyway it was much less painful than I expected.

G.

• Like 5

Glad to hear that.

I quite enjoy their bass reviews on You Tube. Lengthy and informative, and always give a wide variety of what the products can do.

Even if one of the guys is the spitting image of Will Trickett off of 'Flippin' Bangers'! 😆

Edited by spongebob

• 4 weeks later...

Another shout out for Andertons, and particularly Dave. 

All the the staff I spoke  to were spot on, however Dave was the guy who sorted me out, getting me some scales, basses from the warehouse, and all with a 'absolutely no problem' type vibe. 

Super helpful and great bloke, cheers for the help and Stingray Dave, was a pleasure :) 

Edited by Chiliwailer

I had a similar experience with Andertons a few years back.

I bough a jazz bass from them online, a couple of days after I received it the bridge pup stopped working.

I rang them up and told them, there were no questions about how it happened or whether the problem might be my fault, they just delivered a new bass 2 days later and picked up the faulty one at the same time. No fuss.

That's the real customer service test, how a company reacts when something goes wrong, and, in my case, Andertons passed with flying colours.

Just to top off this thread, I received an email a few days later telling me the bass had been repaired and when would I like it back?  Gave my preference and when I got home after the weekend it was waiting for me on my front door (inside secure entrance - neighbour let it in).  Seems to ba at least a different mids unit as I marked the original, although it may ne a full pre replacement.  Whatever.  It now works great.  Thanks Andertons.

G.

Another shout out for Andertons, and particularly Dave. 

All the the staff I spoke  to were spot on, however Dave was the guy who sorted me out, getting me some scales, basses from the warehouse, and all with a 'absolutely no problem' type vibe. 

Super helpful and great bloke, cheers for the help and Stingray Dave, was a pleasure :) 

+1

Dave was fantastically tolerant with me today trying out MM basses. My go to guitar shop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cherish these stores my friends. I live in a wasteland for music stores and am hugely envious when I read on here about the good experiences you all have. I try to organise holiday destinations to take in some stores but I think my wife is catching on!😄

• 3 years later...

I wish I could stand their reviews on YouTube.  Really  great  topics and equipment , but I  just can’t deal with the speed picking that so often passes for bass playing and chuckle box/ high school level of immaturity that constitutes discussion/humor. Then again, I’m just a bitter old Yank attorney  looking for information and discussion. 

I know, I know. I don’t have to watch, so I quit some time ago.

32 minutes ago, Jeffb28451 said:

I wish I could stand their reviews on YouTube.  Really  great  topics and equipment , but I  just can’t deal with the speed picking that so often passes for bass playing and chuckle box/ high school level of immaturity that constitutes discussion/humor. Then again, I’m just a bitter old Yank attorney  looking for information and discussion. 

I know, I know. I don’t have to watch, so I quit some time ago.

Im not a fan of their video reviews either.  I don't care about the attempts at humour but they are a shop selling stuff and the videos they produce are designed to promote GAS, consequently, all the stuff is great and very little gets criticised.  Occasionally certain products are preferred to others but nothing ever gets really ripped apart.

Most YouTube reviewers get paid to review stuff and generally focus on the positives and omit to mention anything negative.  There are a few YouTube bass reviewers that aren't remunerated for their reviews and are prepared to call a spade a spade, 'Low End Lobster' for instance.  He buys or borrows the basses he reviews and is quite comprehensive in his judgements on gear.  He called a Charval San Dimas bass 'Fender's turd'.  

As a online shop though, Andertons are pretty good.  They generally have high stock levels and their online ordering and delivery is excellent.  I have bought quite a bit of gear from them over the years.

I had a great experience with Andertons too. I needed a hard case and I called them first to check the inner dimensions. When the case arrived, my Jackson was just a couple of millimetres shy to fit properly. When I called them about it they arranged a no quibble exchange of a nicer, more expensive case and did not charge me the difference.

The box was so large that I didn't have it by the front door, and when the courier delivered the second case, I was in the middle of something and forgot to do the exchange - and he forgot to ask for the one that was supposed to be going back! 

Shortly after he'd left, I realised my error and called Andertons to explain. Again, they were completely relaxed about it and rearranged the courier to come back out to me. 

I like their website too, the explanations and descriptions about the gear are brilliantly useful and there's also lots of novice advice about the basics to read up on as well. 

• Like 1

One of the few places that will go and weigh an instrument for you. Always a great company to deal with, yes their videos can often be cringy and annoying (especially the bass ones) but it’s a small price to pay for good customer service.