Why become a member? ×

Gretsch Junior Jet ii - opinions

Newfoundfreedom

Hi guys. Sorry to start a new thread. I did find a couple of posts on the search but they were quite old and mostly about the earlier single pickup version. 

Anyhow, I've just ordered one of these, Gretsch 2224 junior jet ii in sunburst with the twin mini humbuckers. I have no idea what, if any the difference between the 2220 and the 2224 is and I can't find any info anywhere stating it. So, any ideas? 

I haven't had chance to play one because my nearest half decent music shop is three and a half hours away. But the reviews seem pretty positive, and I do like a shorter scale bass, although I'm not sure I've ever played one quite this short. But I figured what the hell, for under 200 quid I couldn't go far wrong.

So, anybody got one, had one, played one?

General opinions please.

Cheers. 

I had a play on one but not exactly sure which model. It was second hand in our local shop but not very old. I was impressed by the build quality for the money and it sounded nice if a little slightly limited on tonal range but no different in that respect to my Ibanez which was similar money. If I hadn’t already got a short scale it would have come home with me. Very good for the money. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 1

I can only comment on the single pu version. 

As already said they are well made for the price. Single pu model very tone limited. That being said they are pleasant sounding. So the twin pu model will of course be more versatile. 

Very comfortable on the knee or standing. The neck profile is nice also. I can't remember how well mine set up, but I do remember the frets being level.

The model number represents the finish only I think.

At 200 or under it's a good buy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Twincam said:

At 200 or under it's a good buy. 

Good stuff. Thanks. I picked it up for the local currency equivalent of about 180 quid plus delivery. Which will be pretty much bang on £200 delivered to my door, and it was advertised and looks pretty much as new condition. 

I GOT THE EARLIER ONE PICKUP VERSION AND IT WAS REAL LIGHT AND MADE IN Korea. It has a plywood body. Then I saw a newer version and it was medium-weight and made in China. I went down to a 90 E string and that is too light. Will this bass hold a 100 E without neck -bow ? I will go back to a 95 roundwound probably. very nice quality for budget bass ! 

Well it arrived today and first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. This thing definitely punches above it's weight. I can't believe the sound that comes out of something so small. It's extremely comfortable and playable and sounds superb. The build and sound quality are excellent for the price. I would highly recommend it if anyone is thinking of getting one. 

1 hour ago, Austin7 said:

I've been thinking about getting one, too.  I have a neck problem because of whiplash injuries and usually play lightweight basses.  How much does this weigh?

I had one when they first came out. Build quality was good and neck/action very good. Limited palette tone-wise, (not high-fi), but a solid bass to gig with for rock/pop. Not light-weight more medium-weight. There are lighter SS. The Mustangs  are not heavy and of course all the Violin family are lighter which is one reason why I tend to prefer them.

Edited by grandad

1 hour ago, Austin7 said:

I've been thinking about getting one, too.  I have a neck problem because of whiplash injuries and usually play lightweight basses.  How much does this weigh?

Not sure of the exact weight. But it's quite light while still feeling sturdy. It's much lighter than a standard, say P bass. Its Also lighter than my Les Paul guitar. It's also really well balanced. I'd say about the same as a Strat style guitar. I'd say go for it. I'm really impressed with how punchy and beefy it is being short scale, and it's soooo easy to play. For the money I'd say you can't really go wrong with one of these. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Austin7 said:

If you want short scale and lightweight, they won't come any lighter than a Danelectro Longhorn.  If you can live with the styling of course - the quirky shape was part of the attraction for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Not sure of the exact weight. But it's quite light while still feeling sturdy. It's much lighter than a standard, say P bass. Its Also lighter than my Les Paul guitar. It's also really well balanced. I'd say about the same as a Strat style guitar. I'd say go for it. I'm really impressed with how punchy and beefy it is being short scale, and it's soooo easy to play. For the money I'd say you can't really go wrong with one of these. 

Thanks.  I've read several good reviews about it now.  I'm surprised it isn't priced a little higher.  

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

If you want short scale and lightweight, they won't come any lighter than a Danelectro Longhorn.  If you can live with the styling of course - the quirky shape was part of the attraction for me.

I like the Longhorns.  Also, a few years ago I got one of the Danelectro Hodads right before they quit making them.  I was able to get that on sale.  It looks like they may never put the Longhorns on sale, though.  After spending too much on some basses a few years ago, I have to be concerned about price more than I'd like.  

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Yeah maybe. But damn those things are ugly, and a lot more expensive to boot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah maybe. But damn those things are ugly, and a lot more expensive to boot. 

I agree that they may be overpriced.  But they're so ugly they look good.  Plus, Jack Bruce played one on some of the songs on "Disraeli Gears."  Rinus Gerritsen of Golden Earring played a Longhorn for years.  Rinus became maybe dangerously attached to his emotionally, though.  On a U.S. tour, his Danelectro got stolen and he wouldn't even talk to anyone for three days.  

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think I'd pay to have someone take it away. 😂

I know they don't get a lot of love, but some people do like them.  In Rinus's case, the one that got stolen was probably one of his custom-made basses which had a Fender and Danelectro neck.  I'm not sure, though.  However, on the Golden Earring albums the best sound he got was with a Yamaha BB-3000 in the late 1990s/early 2000s.  Strictly, of course, IMO.