Why become a member? ×

I need some advice..

Kellboy

I'm a 5 string convert, probably due to my age - 5's were not widely used when I was a teenager learning to play so bass players would only ever have 4 strings.  As soon as I tried a 5 string I was hooked and have never gone back - I do retain my first serious 4 string, a 1975 Rickenbacker, but mostly for sentimental reasons and I haven't played it in anger for years.  The last time I took it to a rehearsal I got very frustrated that there were things I could do on a 5 that I couldn't do on the 4.  Anything I could do on a 4 string I can do on a 5, so for me only having a 4 would limit my options.

If you like the Warwick but want one with a wider neck...well, if you have the budget, you could just ask Warwick to make you another Streamer 5 with the neck profile you want.  Not the cheapest option (I should know, I did it).  However, there are wider necks out there (Broadnecks) and Warwicks are generally pretty cheap second hand.  Might take you a bit of time and patience, but if you want to stick with a Streamer you should be able to track one down

Entry level stuff at Cardiff PMT?? They've had Fender Elites and Professionals not to mention Stingray 5s and a fair few decent Ibbys in there since day one. Did you just stick with the one wall there?? They'll order you anything in to try as well, so if like your Dream Theatre, ask em to get a Bongo in perhaps.

Also, if you like your Dean but the sound's crap, I'm thinking upgrade the electronics before you splash serious cash on another bass.

You seem to be painting yourself into a corner of your own making here!

1 hour ago, roceci said:

Entry level stuff at Cardiff PMT?? They've had Fender Elites and Professionals not to mention Stingray 5s and a fair few decent Ibbys in there since day one. Did you just stick with the one wall there?? They'll order you anything in to try as well, so if like your Dream Theatre, ask em to get a Bongo in perhaps.

Also, if you like your Dean but the sound's crap, I'm thinking upgrade the electronics before you splash serious cash on another bass.

You seem to be painting yourself into a corner of your own making here!

Yeah I did say alot of high end fender.  Which I'm not keen on. Well I'm very very keen on Ibanez ATM. Loving the sound and looks.  I'm going to go PMT and ask for them to order in the single cut I posted earlier as they sound immense and have 18mm spacing I'm also keen to tryout a Btb which have 19mm spacing    I've pretty much decided to stick with 5. Playing yesterday I found myself using the Low B as I was deliberately trying to incorporate it. In a band setting I'm sure I would use it alot like I did many years in the past!  So as many of you have said I think it's best I perserve with a 5 that fits my needs a bit more and just learn to 'git gud'.  Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it!

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:43, Kellboy said:

My point being is ATM. I'm only  commited to being a bedroom bassist.  

I don' have any advice about which bass to get, but if you can only be a bedroom player, buy Rocksmith for PC and learn to play along to your favourite songs, no time wasting, pure enjoyment :)

5 hours ago, bazzbass said:

I don' have any advice about which bass to get, but if you can only be a bedroom player, buy Rocksmith for PC and learn to play along to your favourite songs, no time wasting, pure enjoyment :)

I usually  tab songs by ear as projects as my music theory is lacking it helps me understand how theory works etc.  But yeah that does sound awesome I will check it out!

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You have gear that is good enough for playing at home. You don't need anything else, except maybe some better headphones.

Then get out of the house and start playing in a band. That will decide what upgrade path you need.

True enough,  I do play in bands occasionally,  usually covers ( I find originals bands a pain to deal with ).   I love doing covers with bands and its fun,  and I will be looking for a band when I have enough time outside of current life responsibilities to commit.

24 minutes ago, Kellboy said:

. . . .  I will be looking for a band when I have enough time outside of current life responsibilities to commit.

I understand, I actually gave up playing completely at one point when I couldn't balance the family,  job and band.

Recently I saw two top session/jazz players, one had a Squire P bass and the other had a Sire 5 string. They made those basses sing. So it's not about the gear, it's how good you are and what you can do with an instrument.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 3

I've played and have some really cheap basses and they are far better than some expensive ones i've tried. Was disappointed with a Spector at £1200 i thought was like playing a plank of wood. The neck just didn't feel right but that's down to personal preference i guess

Edited by dmccombe7

On 15/08/2018 at 19:31, r16ktx said:

Would B E A D tuning work for you? Like you I play stuff that uses the B and I have more fun playing a 4 string.

^ good shout from this guy! 

I’d say keep the wick (I’m a fan of them) I got rid of a 5 corvette $$ a few years ago and it still stings a bit..  just save up and get yourself a reasonably priced 2nd hand 4 string for slapping cos I don’t want you regretting getting rid of a wick like I did 😢 

• Thanks 1

I've never managed to figure out if I'm a 4 or 5 string player. There are pros and cons to both. Currently, I'm a five player as that's what suits the band I am playing in. In other bands a 4 seemed more natural. You have to go with your gut feeling a bit and not try to overthink it. 

I have no interest in / need for slap but there seem to be plenty of people who manage to slap a 5. If you need 19/20 spacing then such basses exist (both my 5's have 19mm spacing). 

• Like 1