Why become a member? ×

I need some advice..

Kellboy

Hi all. Decided to put my post here as it isn't very specific.  

Apologies in advance as it might be a bit of a ramble. I've been playing bass for many years but over the last 10 or so it hasn't been very serious and my skill and very limited music theory knowledge is somewhat lacking and im starting over again.

Bass isn't my only and not most time consuming hobby as I'm also a big mountain biker and also have a young family. My point being is ATM. I'm only  commited to being a bedroom bassist.  

The reason I'm saying these things is so you get an idea of what level of commitment I am at. Basically I'm at a massive crossroads on wether to concentrate on a 4 or 5 string bass. Limited funds and space means I'd rather really only have one  instrument.  I like a wide variety of music and sometimes I'll play a song with the low B on occasion. However if I'm noodling I prefer the feel and lines of a standard 4 string.  The reason being is I do like playing some complicated slap stuff.  I currently own a 5 string Warwick Streamer and it has a narrow string spacing. It's an awesome instrument and is amazing for everything but slap ( for me) . It's currently up for sale so I can get a nice 4 string but I already have niggling doubts if that is the right choice. I know that wider spacing would help considerably but then I would need to find an instrument that does have wider spacing. Probably over 18mm. To further complicate the matter I usually play through headphones and haven't found any that have had the guts to handle the low B string.

I know everyone's different. But if you where me what would you do?  There are some lovely 4 strings I'd like to try such as the Ibby ar1400. Id really love to go tryout loads of 4 and 5 basses and see if I can find something I could help with but here in south Wales shops that stock a range of basses is very few and far between.  Sorry for the long post.   Just looking for guidance really.!

If I was just staying at home and intended that to continue then I'd stay with 4 strings as it seems you have more fun with one.  I went to 5 when I joined my band as it gave me much greater flexibility to play more songs easily- up the neck rather than down low - and I'm now committed to 5s.  I'm a 5 convert nowadays as I think they're more adaptable instruments to a wider range of music but I wouldn't stress over one if I was staying at home and playing for fun - I'd just play what I had most fun with.

Edit: it did take me a while to find a 5 that I liked though and certainly string spacing is a factor for slapping a 5 IMO.  So maybe try some out and see!

HTH

Edited by kusee pee

16 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi with regards to headphones I’ve had them all Bose, b&o , Sony  etc  but beats are definitely the best for bass, beats studio that is ,not beats solo ,I’ve just bought the new studio wireless  they are great 

Gotta agree. I thought Beats were all just a lot of hype but last year I bought a pair for £70 from Currys and while they are the cheapest ones I think, they are a great piece of kit.

If you need a 5 then stick with a 5. If you need wider spacing than the 5 you currently own then sell it and get a different one. You don't need to break the bank, Sire 5 strings have 18mm spacing which is what I use. Sounds and plays every bit as good as the Warwicks and custom basses I've owned.

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

If you need a 5 then stick with a 5. If you need wider spacing than the 5 you currently own then sell it and get a different one. You don't need to break the bank, Sire 5 strings have 18mm spacing which is what I use. Sounds and plays every bit as good as the Warwicks and custom basses I've owned.

I don't know what I need! I think probably what I need to accept is that if I stick with a 5 string I vant play it as easily as a 4 string I guess! Those sires look great! But if they use jumbo frets I probably wouldn't get along with them so great. Just a preference thing :)

I'm surprised your Warwick doesn't do what you want. My Thumb bass has 18mm spacing an i was under the impression that was standard across their range. 

I have 4, 5 and 6 string basses but i nearly always go for my 4 string basses because i'm happier with them. I use the others when i'm asked to go lower depending on the band or studio requirements.

Does your Warwick not have adjustable saddle spacing to widen the string gap. ? 

I first picked up an ESP 6 string when i decided to expand from 4 and found the string spacing was 16mm and i kept hitting the wrong strings with my right plucking hand. I moved from that to an Overwater which has 18mm. Nearly all of my basses have 18mm spacing.  I know what you mean by being too narrow tho.

I would say that if you currently have a 5 string then that's maybe what you should stick with. The more you use that as your sole instrument the better you'll get with it.

There are many good quality 5 string basses out there and not knowing your budget its difficult to advise what basses to try.

No idea about the headphones other than i use Sennheisers that i've had for several years now and can't remember the model.

Dave

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm surprised your Warwick doesn't do what you want. My Thumb bass has 18mm spacing an i was under the impression that was standard across their range. 

I have 4, 5 and 6 string basses but i nearly always go for my 4 string basses because i'm happier with them. I use the others when i'm asked to go lower depending on the band or studio requirements.

Does your Warwick not have adjustable saddle spacing to widen the string gap. ? 

I first picked up an ESP 6 string when i decided to expand from 4 and found the string spacing was 16mm and i kept hitting the wrong strings with my right plucking hand. I moved from that to an Overwater which has 18mm. Nearly all of my basses have 18mm spacing.  I know what you mean by being too narrow tho.

I would say that if you currently have a 5 string then that's maybe what you should stick with. The more you use that as your sole instrument the better you'll get with it.

There are many good quality 5 string basses out there and not knowing your budget its difficult to advise what basses to try.

No idea about the headphones other than i use Sennheisers that i've had for several years now and can't remember the model.

Dave

Warwicks usually have 16.5mm spacing,  At least mine does,  Ive opened them up as much as I can without the strings being too close to the edge and its given me another half a MM or so. I expected there to be an adjustment period but even after nearly a year I cant double pop on it,  It's just a little cramped for me,  seen loads of good players double popping etc on their wicks though.

Edited by Kellboy

Mine is one of the early ones an 89 NT so maybe they've changed the spec.

Just had a quick check and the 4 strings are 18-19mm but their standard 5 and 6 strings are 16.5mm altho they do a wide neck at 20mm

Wasn't aware of that so every day a schol day. I've only ever played their 4 string basses.

Dave

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Mine is one of the early ones an 89 NT so maybe they've changed the spec.

Just had a quick check and the 4 strings are 18-19mm but their standard 5 and 6 strings are 16.5mm altho they do a wide neck at 20mm

Wasn't aware of that so every day a schol day. I've only ever played their 4 string basses.

Dave

Ah yeah man,  4 strings is a different ball game entirely,  I can go crazy with the double thumb pops and triple thump etc.   That's kind of what makes me want a nice four string,  but when I ever play a four string is when I suddenly decide I want to do Dream theatre or Threshold covers,  which both use the Low B a lot.    I definitely need to try a few wider spaced 5 strings like I owned many years back,  and at least If I don't enjoy it can drop back to a 4.  I guess im looking to hear from players that have both gone from a 4 to a 5 and stayed,  and also those that went back to a 4 from a 5 for whatever reasons!

There are a lot of guys doing that style on 5 and 6 string basses so i'm guessing its just down to keeping at it with the bass that suits and with the correct spacing that you need.

Why not try a few in your local bass store to see how you get on with them. ?

I haven't mastered that double thumb technique but there's no need for me to use it in the styles of music i play in.

I do use my thumb for finger picking styles but not quite the double thumb trick. Maybe i need to give that a try as its always a new challenge to conquer 👍

Being a mainly 4 string player I would suggest in your circumstances you stick with a 5 stringer and it will eventually give you what you need from a bass. The low B and once used to it a bass that covers everything you need.

Dave 

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Do you need the low B or would a low D cover most? I've got an Xtender on my four string jazz and while I'm after a new fretted bass there's a strong argument to get a four string with an Xtender over a five string.

Unfortunately yes,  Quite a few bands I like make full use of the open B note. 

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

There are a lot of guys doing that style on 5 and 6 string basses so i'm guessing its just down to keeping at it with the bass that suits and with the correct spacing that you need.

Why not try a few in your local bass store to see how you get on with them. ?

I haven't mastered that double thumb technique but there's no need for me to use it in the styles of music i play in.

I do use my thumb for finger picking styles but not quite the double thumb trick. Maybe i need to give that a try as its always a new challenge to conquer 👍

Being a mainly 4 string player I would suggest in your circumstances you stick with a 5 stringer and it will eventually give you what you need from a bass. The low B and once used to it a bass that covers everything you need.

Dave 

Local stores around here are pants,  If it isn't a fender I cant try it,   I appreciate your opinion about sticking at it though! And yeah fella get practicing,   being a bedroom bassist is pretty much why I spend lots of times practicing advanced techniques,  Im rubbish at theory and I will be looking at lessons to help me get the most out that soon!

4 minutes ago, Les parry said:

Kellboy,. try PMT in St Mary St Cardiff, huge stock of basses and very helpful staff

Was in there a few weeks ago,  couple of nice Ibanez models and some fenders but a lot of it was entry level stuff.   Is a good shop though.   Speaking of Ibanez I love the SR series,  love the sound and look and need to try one,  but unfortunately the SR 5 strings are also narrow spacing,  EXCEPT the single cut which has 18mm spacing.  No experience with single cuts but its super affordable and looks...odd! 

ibanez-srsc805-dtf-sr-cerro-singlecut.jpg

Edited by Kellboy

Do you have any mates that might have a god quality one you could try. ?

No idea your budget but is it possible to sell the Warwick and buy a good quality 5 stringer and maybe a cheaper Squier 4 string as well. I think its the Squier VM series that are the better ones. All 2nd hand basses. If you have people selling a 5 er near you why not go round and try before you buy. You don't need to buy and you can always make up an excuse not to buy it. I have a 5 string Dingwall that i bought from Bass Direct. I drove down from Glasgow area to try some 5 ers out before buying. My point being that sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and travel to the better shops to try before buying.

Once you've tried certain basses you can then scout about for 2nd hand ones on BC. Always good buys on here for 4 and 5 string basses and most guys would probably let you try it before buying.

Hope you manage to come to a decision and find whats best for you.

All the best

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Do you have any mates that might have a god quality one you could try. ?

No idea your budget but is it possible to sell the Warwick and buy a good quality 5 stringer and maybe a cheaper Squier 4 string as well. I think its the Squier VM series that are the better ones. All 2nd hand basses. If you have people selling a 5 er near you why not go round and try before you buy. You don't need to buy and you can always make up an excuse not to buy it. I have a 5 string Dingwall that i bought from Bass Direct. I drove down from Glasgow area to try some 5 ers out before buying. My point being that sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and travel to the better shops to try before buying.

Once you've tried certain basses you can then scout about for 2nd hand ones on BC. Always good buys on here for 4 and 5 string basses and most guys would probably let you try it before buying.

Hope you manage to come to a decision and find whats best for you.

All the best

Dave

Ah yeah I should probably mention I do own a cheap 4 stringer. A Dean edge I've had for 15 or so years! Sounds like crap but really well built. Hence the decision making as the Dean  is very basic . Yeah I probably will end up travelling. Difficult for me to go far ATM tho with family visits work and a young baby so I'll probably have to be patient! 

21 minutes ago, Kellboy said:

Ah yeah I should probably mention I do own a cheap 4 stringer. A Dean edge I've had for 15 or so years! Sounds like crap but really well built. Hence the decision making as the Dean  is very basic . Yeah I probably will end up travelling. Difficult for me to go far ATM tho with family visits work and a young baby so I'll probably have to be patient! 

Take the family with you and try and make a day out of it. I don't have the young baby to contend with but my wife came with me to Bass Direct and Mark and the staff made her very welcome. I think it was about 300miles each way. We left very early, stopped for coffee breaks every 2 hrs or thereabouts, got to shop and tried out the different basses in my budget. Ones i fancied first then what the shop thought i might like and afterwards we went for lunch with the bass tucked safely away and hidden from sight off course. Took our time going home and stopped off for an early dinner before getting home.

I'm not saying drive those kind of distances but maybe a little clsoer for you i hope. I had given it a lot of thought and fair bit of planning to make sure i arrived at a reasoanable time and not be rushed into buying something because i had just driven 300miles. 

I've tried a Dean bass and it was OK but not really for me but if all you are doing is bedroom bass playing it should be adequate.

If the 5 string is gonna be "the goto bass" then you would want a reasonably good quality instrument.

I'm kinda hoping i'm helping here but maybe not xD

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Take the family with you and try and make a day out of it. I don't have the young baby to contend with but my wife came with me to Bass Direct and Mark and the staff made her very welcome. I think it was about 300miles each way. We left very early, stopped for coffee breaks every 2 hrs or thereabouts, got to shop and tried out the different basses in my budget. Ones i fancied first then what the shop thought i might like and afterwards we went for lunch with the bass tucked safely away and hidden from sight off course. Took our time going home and stopped off for an early dinner before getting home.

I'm not saying drive those kind of distances but maybe a little clsoer for you i hope. I had given it a lot of thought and fair bit of planning to make sure i arrived at a reasoanable time and not be rushed into buying something because i had just driven 300miles. 

I've tried a Dean bass and it was OK but not really for me but if all you are doing is bedroom bass playing it should be adequate.

If the 5 string is gonna be "the goto bass" then you would want a reasonably good quality instrument.

I'm kinda hoping i'm helping here but maybe not xD

Dave

Your partner sounds like a legend.  I have no chance of that working for me 😂.  Bass direct is actually closer for me a fair bit but still so far it would require a day off work.  Still. Booking some holiday and driving up there is probably a good idea! Appreciate the advice!

5 minutes ago, Kellboy said:

Your partner sounds like a legend.  I have no chance of that working for me 😂.  Bass direct is actually closer for me a fair bit but still so far it would require a day off work.  Still. Booking some holiday and driving up there is probably a good idea! Appreciate the advice!

They are open at weekends ?

To be fair my wife has bought most of my basses as presents for special birthdays or even Xmas presents. I'm not a big spender thru the year so it balances out with her regular shopping trips :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7