Why become a member? ×

Rig for that new fangled Blues musak.

Mog

6 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Do I have to? I don’t reallt consider that blues. They’re all incredible players, but, well, meh.

You might not consider it to be blues, but the OP specifically referenced John Mayer and various other high profile guys currently playing blues based music. Lots of people like that stuff even if you don't... 

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

You might not consider it to be blues, but the OP specifically referenced John Mayer and various other high profile guys currently playing blues based music. Lots of people like that stuff even if you don't... 

I realise that now. Lots of people like peas and I don’t...

Personally I’d have a wall of valves, an old P-Bass and a chequered relationship history if I was regularly playing blues. 

I have two (just missing the P bass).

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

I realise that now. Lots of people like peas and I don’t...

Personally I’d have a wall of valves, an old P-Bass and a checkered relationship history if I was regularly playing blues. 

I have two (just missing the P bass).

I have had all three at various times...! 

Just now, peteb said:

I have had all three at various times...! 

You can play blues in more than 12 bars!

Joking aside, and to offer some advice that may be useful, any modern solid state rig will be fine and dandy but I’d buy I’d get a valve overdrive pedal like the DHA VT1 to give it some authenticity.

14 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

You can play blues in more than 12 bars!

Joking aside, and to offer some advice that may be useful, any modern solid state rig will be fine and dandy but I’d buy I’d get a valve overdrive pedal like the DHA VT1 to give it some authenticity.

I have played the blues circuit a bit and sometimes help out backstage at the Colne Blues Festival. Generally the bigger acts use a hire SVT rig or are happy to use the house rig (usually something like a SVT4 and a 8x10 fridge). However, I have seen plenty of good pro players turn up with something like a Mark Bass or Aguilar Tonehammer rig and get a great sound. Personally I would avoid using overdrive for blues and go for something a bit cleaner - no need to go ultra vintage or anything, but avoid anything too hi-fi or with too much gain. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2