Why become a member? ×

Courier size and weight

markbass555

Hi guys

Bit of a random question anyone of many of the wise knowledgeable peeps on here happen to know roughly dimensions and weight of a bass when it’s packed for shipping? Interested in a bass on flea bay but wants me to organise my own courier from Birmingham to Northern Ireland .....

cheers guys

Dave

Edited by markbass555

It would depend what it was packed in - small or large hard case, gig bag with loads of packing or wrapped in a bin bag.  And yes I've received a bass "packed " in the latter

It could be somewhere between 125x16x40cm to 140x30x60cm

At that size it usually goes by volumetric weight rather than actual weight so I usually say around 9kg just in case they actually weigh it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenolive said:

Surely if they want you to organise courier , they should pack it & give you the weight & dimensions 🤔

This.

Don't know why sellers don't organise their own courier, it's easy enough via ebay or via interparcel. The hard part is packing it all up.

• Like 4

I've never understood the "arrange your own courier" thing. They clearly don't understand how couriers work - unless you take it to one of those places like Mailboxes etc where they will pack and send it for you, the seller has to pack it up or the courier won't touch it.

Plus it's much easier to arrange collection yourself at a time and address to suit you

Edited by Delberthot

17 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Whoever arranges (i.e. pays) for the courier is also responsible for sorting out anything which goes wrong.  The seller might not want to take on the responsibility of that potential hassle.

This.  I think also if you are sending one to another country it can get very complicated if it goes wrong.  Plus I won't send out a bass unless it is fully insured and some folks balk at paying for full insurance - hence arranging it and taking the risk - themselves. 

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Whoever arranges (i.e. pays) for the courier is also responsible for sorting out anything which goes wrong.  The seller might not want to take on the responsibility of that potential hassle.

absolutely but if the seller doesn't at least package the bass then you have a stalemate and a bass that isn't going anywhere

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Mind you, when I saw the title of the topic my first thought was, "well he was about 5' 10" and a bit chunky, so maybe 180lbs".

That will have been Mark my courier who picked the 6x10 up 😂

Just a quickie on Ebay and couriers

It doesn't matter who arranges the courier, whether seller or buyer, but the seller is still responsible as far as Ebay goes. If buyer arranges the courier collection and delivery,  and the courier smashes the bass to feck or loses it, the seller is still responsible.

Edited by fleabag

My last one was 125x45x10 - Sire box. Weight depends on the axe, usually around 5-5.5Kg, but a 70s jazz is going to weigh nearer 50Kg, while my Squier P bass is so light it may blow away in the wind.

Edited by lownote12

Be very careful about sending a bass by courier. Not many couriers actually insure guitars/basses, and those that do generally insist on a double-walled box and the instrument has to be in a hard case. Of the couriers I’ve tried UPS seems to be the most accommodating, but after a bit of digging the maximum transit cover they offer is £1000. Parcelforce does NOT insure musical instruments - no matter what sites like Interparcel might say.

• Like 1

Slightly OT but if you happen to not realise that you are signed up to the Ebay Global Shipping program which they kindly did without telling us, the maximum length is 120cm which is nigh on impossible when posting a bass and still manage to get enough padding on top and tail.

I sent something a couple of weeks ago in a hard case and managed to get it down to 123cm and it still made it to it's final destination.

Plus as above, no one insures you if the instrument is not in a hard case even if it is the insurance can be 2 or 3 times the actual cost to send it in the first place. Something I've never fully understood - I'm paying someone to send something for me but I have to insure it against cack handed employees throwing stuff about. 

On 14/08/2018 at 17:57, Delberthot said:

I've never understood the "arrange your own courier" thing. They clearly don't understand how couriers work - unless you take it to one of those places like Mailboxes etc where they will pack and send it for you, the seller has to pack it up or the courier won't touch it.

I have encountered it before. Its for people who don't want to send it. 

There are some couriers that turn up and put it in a box for you, I had that with a sale on here. Weird but it worked fine.

As for the eBay global shipping program, it is on the shipping page, I almost always opt out of that, just because I don't want additional shipping hassle on a bass.