Why become a member? ×

Hartke HD150 - yawn

mcnach

Hartke have been awful for some time. Since 2007 at a rough guess. I know I'm in the minority, but I think the LH series amps are awful. Powerful of course, but the tone controls are pants. The Kilo was redesigned for about 2 years from the initial announcement. It was plagued with reliability issues. The TX600 is a 400W module saying its a 600W amp. I played one and it felt like 300W. Pitiful.

In my opinion, their best amp is the HA5500 though it's old school and rather heavy especially in light of today's penchant for amps the size and weight of a packet of cigarettes.

Like lots of companies they are living off past glories. Saying "Jaco played these!" sadly doesn't matter anymore.

I wonder if Larry Hartke has any say or even cares any more as their decline has been quite terrible.

6 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

That's a shame, a lot of Hartke stuff has been pretty good sounding.  I played a combo a while ago, not sure of the model name but it was basically the LH500 head in a 2x10 combo, and that was one I could use quite cheerfully. 

I had an A100 combo, one of the tilt-back capable ones, with a 15" speaker, and it was pretty cool. The HD150 however felt underpowered and the minute you push it a bit it sounded pretty bad.

2 hours ago, gjones said:

Maybe youve just been spoiled by all the top quality gear youve owned over the years.

What are you playing through these days - a Carlsbro Stingray head through a homemade 18 inch cab? 😁

Ah, no, :D I use a variety of rehearsal rooms all over the place with different bands. I may not love most of them, but they all work... The Hartke was very disappointing. I think the only worst combo I've tried locally is a Trace Elliot combo, a 210, at the Groove Tunnel... ugh... although I know that one it's just probably just been badly abused.

• Like 1