Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats

paul_5

At rehearsal now and loving them; tight, punchy and lovely mid-tension (drop tuned a tone on each string though). I think they might be a bit too high tension at concert, but for what I’m using them for they’re brilliant. Tons of top end too with the right amp setting.

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

At rehearsal now and loving them; tight, punchy and lovely mid-tension (drop tuned a tone on each string though). I think they might be a bit too high tension at concert, but for what I’m using them for they’re brilliant. Tons of top end too with the right amp setting.

I've had  the lighter gauge set on my standard tuned fretless for a few years now. Those are just a bit stiffer feeling than T-I Jazz Flats, but still very supple.

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I suppose they would be more 'roundwound' sounding than TIs though? 

Yes, for sure. And T-Is are not especially "classic flatwound" sounding in the first place. I used them pretty happily for many years on this particular bass, but the EBCs suit me much much better.

I'm going to have to try these when I need a new set. Currently use D'Addario halfrounds as I like the high tension, smoothness and fundamental thump of most flats but need a bit of roundwound zing. 

I was worried about the tension of these but if they are the same as Chromes or higher then I'd be a happy bunny. 

I am no fan of thuddy low sustain flat wound strings. 

However, round or flat is irrelevant here as the EB Cobalt Flats are not the norm for either flat or round.  They are just good and interesting sounding strings that feel pleasantly smooth and slippery under the fingers too with a rich tone, lots of punch and moderately bright highs.  Perfect for fretless. 

I have them on my fretless J and tempted to put them on the fretless Wal too.  Though they are maybe a bit "coloured" ie having a tone of their own, and I don't want the strings to dominate the sound of the bass, so holding off on that and sticking with neutral sounding (round wound) D'Addario NYXLs for now.

... not that anyone bar another bass player would notice the difference methinks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NickA said:

I am no fan of thuddy low sustain flat wound strings. 

However, round or flat is irrelevant here as the EB Cobalt Flats are not the norm for either flat or round.  They are just good and interesting sounding strings that feel pleasantly smooth and slippery under the fingers too with a rich tone, lots of punch and moderately bright highs.  Perfect for fretless. 

I have them on my fretless J and tempted to put them on the fretless Wal too.  Though they are maybe a bit "coloured" ie having a tone of their own, and I don't want the strings to dominate the sound of the bass, so holding off on that and sticking with neutral sounding (round wound) D'Addario NYXLs for now.

... not that anyone bar another bass player would notice the difference methinks.

I have these on both my fretted and fretless Maruszczyk basses. They go really well with the Delano pickups (MM and J types) and the tension with the 33” scale is just right.

However, you’re not wrong about no one else noticing, but it makes us, the players, happy. I’ve had people come up to me after a gig and ask why I have 2 basses, they couldn’t even tell the difference between fretted and fretted! Why do we bother? Just turning up with any old piece of wood with some strings on it and make a low rumbling noise may be the way of the future (not on my watch though ;)).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I honestly think if we lined up our three 'guitarists' most punters wouldn't know which was which, electric bass, electric guitar and twelve string acoustic. 

But then why would they? I'd probably know nothing about their hobbies.