Why become a member? ×

Bespoke ramps

lownote

I've found it impossible to find a commercial source of ramps so made my own in the past.  But now I have no woodwork tools I was pleased to chance upon Toby Chapman (Toby Chapman Carpentry on FB) who's now making me one for my Hohner 6. Toby makes guitars and replica ancient instruments like gitternes and so forth so seems an interesting guy.  I'll report back in case anyone else needs something similar.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

Just waiting for mine to be delivered now.  He's quick (48 hour turn round), and as he make exquisite replica medieval string instruments I'm looking for good things.  Send him a pic and the exact dimensions of what you want, including a fingerboard curve profile and haggle with him over wood.   I'll post pic when I get it and it's on.

Toby's on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/whippetwood/ and infests Northamptonshire. 

Edited by lownote12

Here she be.  And a jolly nice ramp it is too, well finished to my exact spec, inc fingerboard matched curve.  Indian rosewood.   Cheers to Toby, whom I have no interest in promoting other than that he's a good craftsman who may be of use to other members. Affixed with double sided tape, should you ask.

DSC_2348.JPG

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

Hi Ped, I was just trying to message you.  Yeah, fixed with double sided tape to save drilling holes in your bass!  Anyway worked for me in the past. The curve on the B Bass 6 is quite shallow so rather than attempt to guess the radius of the curve I just measured the height of the end of the fingerboard off the bass top at the edges and the middle and sent him those figures .  Be aware he works exactly to your instructions so don't try and second guess what allowances he might make for over or under or it will all go pear shaped.   Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...