Why become a member? ×

Lincolnshire.....is there anyone out there?

Urban Bassman

So here's the thing.  I moved to Chapel Leonards nr Skegness just over a year ago and have been searching for a band in all that time.  I've had a couple of false starts and offers to join bands that are either: a, not a genre that I want to play or, b, terrible.  So now I'm getting a little frustrated.  Open mic nights are few and far between and usually are folk music orientated.  I've made quite a few contacts in the hope that one of them hears of something, but nothing so far and I've placed available ads in all the usual places including several Facebook groups for musicians in the area. I think I'm hitting all the right places but Lincolnshire's music scene seems to spread between Lincoln, Boston and Grimsby all of which are Between 45mins and an hour and a half drive away.  I am prepared to travel for the right band although Lincoln is probably a bit too far away to be a realistic proposition.  I know this sounds like I'm having a bit of whinge and maybe I am, but II feel like I could be missing out because I'm not close enough to the where the action is.  I'm fairly open minded about the genre, rock covers of most types is my sweet spot but original music,  perhaps some flavours of blues, tributes possibly would all be considered.  

So here's the pitch.  If any of our Licolnshire bass playing community are looking to move on from their current band or hear through their grapevine that another band is looking for a bassist then I'd be super grateful if you could give me the heads up.  I'm 57 with lots of experience and a pro attitude.  I'm happy to audition and will ensure that I'm totally prepared for all rehearsals etc.  Looking to gig 2 or 3 times a month max and to play for the pure pleasure of playing.  Not really looking for a dep unless it's for a few months perhaps.to cover for an op or similar. A big ask perhaps and very much a shot in the dark, but you never know.....   I'll leave it here and see what happens.....

Have you looked around Doncaster? What about around Hull?

Equally, it's around 45mins to Donny, but there certainly used to be a decent enough scene around there (well, especially when Electro was still open). Not sure if there are any music shops left around there these days (haven't been there in years).

Looking at Hull might open even more doors.

Just a suggestion. :)

Good luck.

I lived in Skegness for about 15 years until I emigrated 3 years ago. One of my best mates is a drummer in Skeg. There are lots of local musicians around that have played together on and off for years in various bands and configurations. The problem is its quite a closed community so getting your foot in the door can be difficult. If someone needs a bassists, or for that matter a drummer, guitarist or singer then they all know "someone". If I'm honest it's kind of the same socially. If your face doesn't fit then forget it. I personally was extremely glad to see the back of the place even though I still have family and friends there. 

Hi Urban, I live in Sutton-on-Sea and am lucky enough to be in a local band with my son and two other guys. Ages are 57 (me) 42,35 and 25 (my son). We are called Revelry (indie anthems band) (Revelry Band Lincolnshire on Fbk) so if you see us advertised, pop along to see us. We got together using Joinmyband and were very lucky to pick up a talented drummer who moved up here and used to travel to play in London regularly at one time. There are people out there - keep advertising!!!!

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Bet you love going back there for a visit... B|;)

I've been back to Lincolnshire (in fact the UK) once in the past 3 years. I only went to pick Dad up and it was the longest 2 days of my life. I'm not slagging the place off. A lot of people love it and there's certainly worse places to live, but I don't miss it much. Far too cliquey.

Some cracking takeaways though. That's probably about the only thing I miss. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Sad 1

I'm in Friskney (about 10 miles south of Skeg). Having moved here from Blackpool, where pretty much everybody I knew was either in a band or knew somebody who was in a band, hence it was easy to make those contacts, I've found the Lincolnshire music scene challenging to say the least - I guess the fact it's a helluva big area with a shonky road network doesn't help matters.

Anyway, since we moved here a couple of years ago I've had a few false starts after responding to ads on JMB - one for a band in Lincoln (that was before I realised just how long it would actually take me to get to Lincoln and back!!!) and another couple in Boston led to nothing more than a series of messages being exchanged and then it all going quiet, while I did get as far as going to see and having a natter with a band from up your way (Chapel / Sutton) but that came to nowt as they were after somebody a bit more adept / experienced than me who could just step in straight away. I did eventually get involved with a Spilsby-based outfit, though we never actually reached the gigging stage and split up a few months ago for reasons I still don't fully understand!

As for the ads I've placed on JMB myself, I got no responses at all to the first, but did get a couple of replies to the second. One of these was from a guy in Boston who was actually looking for a rhythm guitarist (nope, sorry, I don't play rhythm guitar... ), while the second was from a couple of chaps up in Huttoft. Now, I've seen your ads on JMB - I don't know whether they have or not, but if things don't seem to be working out after our first rehearsal (scheduled for a couple of weeks time), I'll point them in your direction! 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony_m said:

I'm in Friskney (about 10 miles south of Skeg). Having moved here from Blackpool, where pretty much everybody I knew was either in a band or knew somebody who was in a band, hence it was easy to make those contacts, I've found the Lincolnshire music scene challenging to say the least - I guess the fact it's a helluva big area with a shonky road network doesn't help matters.

Anyway, since we moved here a couple of years ago I've had a few false starts after responding to ads on JMB - one for a band in Lincoln (that was before I realised just how long it would actually take me to get to Lincoln and back!!!) and another couple in Boston led to nothing more than a series of messages being exchanged and then it all going quiet, while I did get as far as going to see and having a natter with a band from up your way (Chapel / Sutton) but that came to nowt as they were after somebody a bit more adept / experienced than me who could just step in straight away. I did eventually get involved with a Spilsby-based outfit, though we never actually reached the gigging stage and split up a few months ago for reasons I still don't fully understand!

As for the ads I've placed on JMB myself, I got no responses at all to the first, but did get a couple of replies to the second. One of these was from a guy in Boston who was actually looking for a rhythm guitarist (nope, sorry, I don't play rhythm guitar... ), while the second was from a couple of chaps up in Huttoft. Now, I've seen your ads on JMB - I don't know whether they have or not, but if things don't seem to be working out after our first rehearsal (scheduled for a couple of weeks time), I'll point them in your direction! 👍

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.  Seems like you're in a similar position to me.  I hope it works out for you but if not, give me. Shout.  

Bit puzzled.  Music equals people equals urban communities, where people are.  You move to the country - no people, no bands. Did you not realize this? I did the same in Suffolk and have to drive 25 miles to find even the start of any action.  

5 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Bit puzzled.  Music equals people equals urban communities, where people are.  You move to the country - no people, no bands. Did you not realize this? I did the same in Suffolk and have to drive 25 miles to find even the start of any action.  

Oh sure.  We moved here for economic reasons, the music had to come second, but not knowing anyone in the music community  here has made it a proper challenge. I knew it would be but it's even more difficult than I thought it would be.   I'm getting there but I feel that I might missing opportunities that don't get as far as a musicians wanted web site or Facebook group, so my post here is one way, I hope, of getting some inside knowledge and trying to think outside of the box. I lived in Suffolk for a couple of years and the music scene there is quite thinly spread...it's much thinner out here...I'm sure I'll find the right band or musicians in time, I'm just trying to get there soonest.  

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Absolutely, although I had hoped to find a bit more going on in either Boston (12 miles away) or SkegVegas (10 miles) than seems to be the case.

And despite the lack of musical action, I'd still much rather be living where we are now than in Blackpool (and that's speaking as a born and bred Blackpudlian)... 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.  Seems like you're in a similar position to me.  I hope it works out for you but if not, give me. Shout.  

Rehearsal update: the guitarist who was lined up to join the new band has now pulled out, so it's back to square one we go... 🙄

• Sad 1

I'm just outside Horncastle.  There are local bands, but thin on the ground.   I think you're going to have to travel.   Open Mic nights Weds and bands on Saturday at Old Nicks in Horncastle.

http://www.oldnickstavern.co.uk/

Other than that, there's the arts place in Lincoln - sort of music school/studio space/practice space.

That's all I know of.  Must be something going on in Hull though, surely?  City of culture and all.

13 hours ago, converse320 said:

I'm just outside Horncastle.  There are local bands, but thin on the ground.   I think you're going to have to travel.   Open Mic nights Weds and bands on Saturday at Old Nicks in Horncastle.

http://www.oldnickstavern.co.uk/

Other than that, there's the arts place in Lincoln - sort of music school/studio space/practice space.

That's all I know of.  Must be something going on in Hull though, surely?  City of culture and all.

Doh, I'd forgotten all about Old Nick's - me and the guitarist from the last band (who really wants to get an originals project together, but hasn't managed to drum up any interest via JMB or Bandonkers) had been talking about going along to see if we could make a few contacts there, but still haven't been. There's also an open mic at The Bell in Burgh-le-Marsh (again, not made it there yet), and a couple of the chaps from Doghouse (previously Meridian) were running one somewhere up Mabo / Chapel way, but I don't know if that's still going.