Why become a member? ×

Number One Bass - Stick or Twist

AndyTravis

My main is a six string P, a six string Jazz and a six string Stingray with a 35" low B like nothing I've ever heard. I can't think of anything that could replace it that isn't a custom with the same custom pickups and preamp. Maybe I'd trade it for a 35" US Spector but I'd be losing some versatility and the B might not be as solid.

I think the B is a combination of the scale and the staggering mass of the bass. On the downside it's not exactly ideal for long sessions standing. My old Spector was better in thst respect but I'm thankful to have a decent back so weight is the least important criterion for a bass - my #2 bass is a 5 string Thumb! 

OPcEw7F.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My Modulus Flea blue sparkle was my go to for a few years, I always thought it was a keeper, it’s the bass I’ve had the longest but no longer my go to. Even my missus likes it  

Could I be tempted to let it go... Yes, but that 4 string headed status series 3 with chameleon indigo finish had better come with blue LEDs. 😂

My 64 NoS jazz is going nowhere though. 😃

8E4C0D9F-776F-48DE-AC93-B97FF746C72A.jpeg

27261468-F606-4AC5-8F78-824D974F6633.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Still using No.1 Rockinbetter, closely followed by No.2 Rockinbetter. The No.3 Bass Collection Californian is still there, but the sound isn't as good as the other two.

Still looking at Ric 4003's, but after playing a few newer one's, I think I need to get a pre-vintage circuit version like my old one, as the neck profile is different. Still a pipe dream, as the prices of them keeps going up, and I seem to be even more skint than before.

• Like 1

4-string fretted: Vigier Passion II, 1988

5-string fretted: Modulus Graphite Genesis, 1999

4-string fretless: custom hi-Z NT made by K. Ukkonen, 2016

eub: Clevinger 5, 1990 something

Playability should be far better if I would even consider changing any of these. Fretless and eub are not for sale at all.

• Like 1

I can’t see anything replacing my Dingwall Super Ps. Just the perfect basses for me, from the tone to the weight and the feel. Their build quality is second to none IMO. Bought both of mine second hand from noble BassChatters but I think I may well take the plunge and spec a brand new Dingwall Super J custom next year once I’ve finished my tour in August.

If I had to keep only one, it would be my Dark Candy Red Super PJ recently acquired from Skinnyman of this parish:

D118A8D4-81BE-41B1-8D43-FB6D17ABA95E.thumb.jpeg.7fe8a503404597d1d37d53d160f507ed.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tricky. I suppose my number one bass in terms of the one I've had longest, which means most sentimentally etc is my old precision, and I don't want to swap that for anything. 

The bass I rely on most though is a Yamaha BB604, which isn't worth much, and therefore I also wouldn't swap as for the same price I doubt I'd find anything I prefer. 

So for different reasons, I'd say stick. 

• Like 1