Why become a member? ×

Number One Bass - Stick or Twist

AndyTravis

Thinking on from a previous thread about how many basses we own and what we like about them...

I have one really valuable bass and I love it - everything would be sold before that bass...

but I could be tempted if I was offered a blue sparkle modulus flea bass...

It’s a 64 Reissue relic from the Fender Custom shop. A one off...mad neck 🤗

what would you swap your main bass for - has to be similar value, not “Ive got a squier CV but I want a Fodera Monarch”7612BE47-346C-479E-887F-512F6F6E9EBE.thumb.jpeg.b15e51396584fe251cfd6dd674b76f04.jpeg

BE913903-EA59-4BCA-BF6C-982C2704EAF5.jpeg

0DF509AD-5276-4A8A-BCDD-E4B4A109C32E.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

Ooh ya. 

Well my main bass is an original 1970 Fender Precision that I've owned for years and years and has been everywhere with me, and I genuinely can't think of anything I'd swap it for. 

Its exactly what I want from a bass, in terms of tone, looks and playability, and sounds sublime on the recordings I've done over the last couple of years. 

So 'stick' I guess for me. 

IMG_0560.PNG

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 3

Don’t think I have a number one bass anymore. I have a bass I gig more than the others and basses that would be tough for me to replace but none are sacrosanct. 

I keep thinking of selling the 3 non-cheapies and getting something really special but I doubt I’ll ever go through with it.

Ironically my main gigging bass is nominally the one of lowest value (the Mustang on the left - the Jag is no longer resident).......go figure.

23787524-4C6E-40A6-AED2-A3F01328569F.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Don’t think I have a number one bass anymore. I have a bass I gig more than the others and basses that would be tough for me to replace but none are sacrosanct. 

I keep thinking of selling the 3 non-cheapies and getting something really special but I doubt I’ll ever go through with it.

Ironically my main gigging bass is nominally the one of lowest value (the Mustang on the left - the Jag is no longer resident).......go figure.

23787524-4C6E-40A6-AED2-A3F01328569F.jpeg

The Mikey Way is a cool looking bass.

1 minute ago, The59Sound said:

Stick. I have a Sadowsky.

See - what a predicament! My jazz is wonderful, I actually sat with it and an nyc Sadowsky as a potential trade once but much preferred mine.

I’ve hankered for a Modulus FU4 in blue sparkle since about 1999. And they could be had for £900 a few years ago - and I was messing about buying Warwicks and Stingrays.

Anyhow. I’d never do a blind swap. 

Never say never but probably never.

My 2010 Warwick $$ Ltd. I've been a Wick fan for over 20 years but this thing is something else. Its one of only 80 that Warwick built with a Tiger wood  top, and I have only ever seen one other with this configuration of Bartolini's and a 3 band EQ instead of the normal 2 band,

I've had it since Feb and have played almost nothing else  and I know I will regret it if I ever get rid of it. I will never find another bass that sounds quite like this.

20180213_111609.jpg

20180213_111600.jpg

Edited by JBP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBP said:

Never say never but probably never. My 2010 Warwick $$ Ltd. I've been a Wick fan for over 20 years but this thing is something else. Its one of only 80 that Warwick built with a Tiger wood  top, and I have only ever seen one with this configuration of Bartolini's and a 3 band EQ instead of the normal 2 band, I've had it since Feb and have played almost nothing else  and I know I will regret it if I ever get rid of it. I will never find another bass that sounds quite like this.

20180213_111609.jpg

20180213_111600.jpg

Wow! Your making me miss my corvette 😂

Pic is 11 years and 2 stone ago 😉

70930DBD-F2AC-4C30-80E2-74AF35555B9C.png

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Wow! Your making me miss my corvette 😂

I have a 1999 Corvette Standard as well which I did almost sell earlier this year, but just couldn't do it in the end, its not my main squeeze these days but it was for a long long time.

20180119_140741.jpg

• Like 1

My main bass is my Rockinbetter RickenFaker (the one in the avatar). I bought it brand new, and it is my "go to" bass (though the Bass Collection Californian Faker is a close second).

Would I swap it for a Ric 4003?

Yes, but it'd have to be a good one.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

Well my main gigging bass is a 2015 US Precision, and I`ve found that that series are the best ones for me, so I have four of them, as such it`s unlikely I would trade in for anything different as simple-tastes me has already found the ideal.

• Like 2

I sold everything I had before moving back from Finland in 2012, so I have nothing more than 6 years old, but still two of the basses I bought in my first six months back in the country, a Classic 60s Jazz, which is a high-end Mexican Fender with a cellulose finish. I'm taking that out to a jam the afternoon. The other is my white US Precision, which I have probably played on more gigs than all the others combined. I couldn't sell either of those two unless it was a matter of life or death. My current number one, though, has to be my 1998 Alembic Epic, but as I've only owned it for a a couple of months, I don't have a sentimental attachment to it yet. Lovely bass though!

• Like 1

Has to be my fretless five string Kramer. It's not worth much at all, but I got it for my 18th. It still gets gigged nearly seventeen years on, here it is enjoying a sunny June afternoon depping in with a friend's band. You know when you've had a bass so long whenever you pick it up playing is just effortless... For long periods of time this was my only bass. Others have come and gone but I wouldn't swap this for anything. It's been gigged in every band I've been in, whether it looks the part or not!

FB_IMG_1529816154857.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 5

My 63 P-bass. Originally belonged to a great friend and bandmate who tragically lost his life in road accident. I acquired the bass from his widow, who had unfortunately stored it in her loft, causing all the paint to peel off the body, and the frets turn green. I had it restored by Paulman in Huddersfield some 30 years ago, and it remains my Number One to this day.

IMG_0200.JPG

• Like 6

1 minute ago, casapete said:

My 63 P-bass. Originally belonged to a great friend and bandmate who tragically lost his life in road accident. I acquired the bass from his widow, who had unfortunately stored it in her loft, causing all the paint to peel off the body, and the frets turn green. I had it restored by Paulman in Huddersfield some 30 years ago, and it remains my Number One to this day.

IMG_0200.JPG

Beautiful. My number 1 is a 64 - also full of character with knocks, dings, dents, worn patches, lacquer checking and flaking, a shrinking pickguard and rusting hardware - but I wouldn’t change a bit of it.

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Beautiful. My number 1 is a 64 - also full of character with knocks, dings, dents, worn patches, lacquer checking and flaking, a shrinking pickguard and rusting hardware - but I wouldn’t change a bit of it.

Sounds fab - pic(s)?