Why become a member? ×

Planning a Jaguar build...

Pea Turgh

21 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Indeed Andy, its great to see recycling.  I am asbo lootly useless at bass mods, so i was never going to do anything with it.

By the way Pete, you'll be pleased to know that the neck is an ex Retrovibe off a  Jazz/P  bass that was 1 of only 2 white J/P's built by Retrovibe ...who i believe are now called Chowny ?

It very well built and really, too good to just practice on

Yes - I mentioned that to Peter. We talked about the nice fret job too. :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sooo, the studio build that diverted my attention from this has stalled at the foundations for now, and I’ve been on eBay!

I’ve come to the realisation that, omitting the obvious fact of not having the tools or space or experience to make my idea a reality, I just don’t have the time either!

However, I still have that neck the @Andyjr1515 gave me at the SW bass bash from @fleabag, so when I saw an Ibanez Talman body on eBay for £25, I thought “close enough”.

We’ll see if the two components fit together when it turns up, and take it from there.

I might be challenging @owen for the title of slowest build ever though!

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

So the body turned up.  Now I have a neck to refinish, and a body in need of minor adjustment to take the neck, and a bridge.  I really like this minty colour, so I’ll call the bashed bit “road wear” and crack the on!

Being that I love gold anodised pick guards, and the new Vintera stuff with this combo, I shall see about getting one made up once I’ve decided on pickups.

Originally I was going for MM in roughly P position, but I’m liking what bridge pups can bring to the party, so I think I’ll follow the routing positions in place.

Now I am quite a visual chap (shallow), so I don’t want standard pickups.  I’m thinking two the same with chrome covers like Mike Lull’s NRT4 would look ace here.

C539F3A8-A767-448E-A54B-A130CC1C68A7.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

These would look cool, but unsure of the quality.  Can anyone offer an opinion please?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191972586090

Does the bridge dimension fully cover the present Jazz p/up chamber, @Pea Turgh ?  

Usually, Jazz pickups are wider than mini humbuckers...

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I’ve had fun with this tonight!  I decided to assemble the parts first, then when I’m happy with it, pull it apart and do the neck refinish, possibly the body too.

First up - get the neck on so I can line everything else up properly.  I had to sand the inner edges of the neck pocket, as although the shape is luckily a perfect match, it was too tight to fit in.

The neck ferrules I got off eBay were a bit small, and not quite high enough, so I popped some washers underneath to bring them flush with the body surface.  Neck on!

913FEB86-6602-4727-9D0C-2382AA5E2C00.jpeg

2A9172D8-4E33-4465-A0B0-CE059B43A3C2.jpeg

I used a straight bit of wood to held tightly against the neck edges to draw lines on the body.  This got the bridge nicely lined up.  Bridge on!

875689D7-ECE5-4C5F-A004-B27D3AC889DE.jpeg

91B24631-69FC-44B2-882F-2EFC2F39EE69.jpeg

86AE5551-5DD9-4CE4-BD05-376EAA8B0B7D.jpeg

39E11024-19A4-4306-BCB1-667B7378FA55.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 4

I spent ages lining up the bridge pickup surround in relation to the bridge.  Unfortunately there is a slight gap top & bottom, but I’ll sort it out somehow at a later date.

I then lined the neck pickup surround between the bridge pickup and neck.  I used a forsner (?) bit as per @Andyjr1515’s bulk removal method.  I tidied up a bit with a Stanley knife.  I was going to borrow a router to clean it up, and also sort the bridge pickup widening, but I think I’ll buy a nice chisel and do it by hand instead.

89579B8A-AD0D-4C8E-A53A-0D448F4F69CC.jpeg

Popped the pickups in to see what they looked like - I’m quite happy with the way this is evolving!

50E439BA-90BF-42AC-BDC4-B7C258679FFC.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 4

Whilst I’m waiting for other bits to turn up, I thought I’d make a start on the scratch plate.  I think this will take the longest to do, as I am quite particular about lines - they have to flow organically and follow the body.

The routes for the Talman are weird.  I don’t think I can resolve the lines without further alteration to the Jack socket route.

Then I saw this picture of a stack knob jag...AA64261F-BF3A-4D78-9D21-1A8074BE893C.thumb.jpeg.6843ef48b7c73dac12ae701ff7a23bd5.jpegF23E7BD5-8F47-44EE-AC23-08DEEC629F03.thumb.jpeg.aea1b3b6b4e067a21ea28f8ef066add2.jpeg8496BEBF-DF0C-4135-8B1A-8ED191B2A7FF.thumb.jpeg.7c0ce8a2f398440b13cff30ea4fd987b.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pea Turgh said:

I could just get a Talman plate, but man that stack knob jag looks the business!

In an unknown preemptive move, I’d already ordered a stack knob configuration loom from @KiOgon.  I think I need to get a jazz plate and gouge out more wood to match.  Let’s hope my chiseling skills are up to it... 

It's in the post mate 😎

• Thanks 1