Why become a member? ×

Can Kiloton do a Stingray Impression?

tobiewharton

I would have thought it is not in the Ray ball park, the MFD bucker is not in the right position, it’s closer to a P pick up position

The G&L equivalent is an L1500, but that is a different beast as the pre-amp is different with a more shrill Treble focus to it, but it can be easily tamed with a hanger to the R7 resistor on the pre amp and also the capacitors on the Tone pot

I think the pickup is in the Ray position, the L1000 has a humbucker in the P position and the Kiloton and L1500 have it in the Stingray.

Given the pickup type, placement and series/parallel switching.I'd imagine the Kiloton could get you within spitting distance of a Stingray sound, particularly in a mix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham said:

I think the pickup is in the Ray position, the L1000 has a humbucker in the P position and the Kiloton and L1500 have it in the Stingray.

Given the pickup type, placement and series/parallel switching.I'd imagine the Kiloton could get you within spitting distance of a Stingray sound, particularly in a mix.

It looked it to me too.

1 hour ago, Schnozzalee said:

Why would you want it to? If anything it will sit in the mix a bit better (Stingrays can be overkill):

Precision > L1000 > Kiloton > Stingray

I want a good quality Stingray 'equivalent' without the pricetag.  I don't think they're overkill at all, rather a classic sound where they've been used effectively. 

Each to their own and all that...

On 11/08/2018 at 11:47, tobiewharton said:

Controversial question: will the G&L Kiloton be capable of approximating a Stingray tone when used with an outboard preamp?

Kiloton player opinions generally?

Cheers,

Tobie

The pickup looks to be in the right place, from the images I've seen... so it will probably have a Stingray-type kind of sound. It's a different pickup though so that accounts for some of the sound too. The preamp is not that important. A 100% passive Stingray has an unmistakeable Stingray sound. The preamp only allows to to 'access' other Stingray sounds.

If you really want a good Stingray equivalent without the price tag... look for a USA made MusicMan SUB, the ones made between 2003-2006. The range of finishes is limited among other things, but they are true Stingrays in anything but name. Around £400 for an excellent condition used one, and they're not hard to find. I have a white one as well as a 'proper' Stingray, and it's not going anywhere.

• Like 2

The Kiloton is the only Stingray-alike I've heard that actually sounds like the real deal. A great sounding instrument.

I second the Musicman USA SUB as an alternative (I just happen to be selling one 😂) however I'm not sure where you'd find a mint one for £400 (I paid more than that for mine 3 years ago). When pricing mine up and looking around the net for an idea, they seem to go for more than that now.