Why become a member? ×

Which Markbass Head?

PatrickJ

Any thoughts on the Markbass EVO1 - I just came across this one after seeing one in the for sale section.

I don't I nornally tend to favour modelling gear but the dual amp system and being able to switch between and Little Mark to a grindy SVT type sound is interesting - I play with two bands, one more rock orientated so I could see me using this feature if they sound good.

Any experience, do the models sound good 

3 band eq looked like a bit of a minus though - 4 seems to be norm these days

3 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Any thoughts on the Markbass EVO1 - I just came across this one after seeing one in the for sale section.

I don't I nornally tend to favour modelling gear but the dual amp system and being able to switch between and Little Mark to a grindy SVT type sound is interesting - I play with two bands, one more rock orientated so I could see me using this feature if they sound good.

Any experience, do the models sound good 

3 band eq looked like a bit of a minus though - 4 seems to be norm these days

If you want additional tone options something like a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal would be a lot cheaper and possibly easier to use.

With the lack of info out there on the EVO markbass really have done themselves a dis service.

Theyve put so much work into it that its an amazing amp, but they never really mention its features in depth.

For example, the 3 band eq is designed to react with the gain/drive control for each specific amp - ie with the ampegs adding in much more bass really brings in a lovely valve drive, yet with other models youll get a defined bottom end, and with others a smoother sound. Its not just pick a sound then add high. mid or low on top.

If they would have really invested time in promoting this properly, im sure there would be forums and settings sharing out there.

Ive played in in completely contrasting bands and environments and never ever had an issue getting perfectly in the mix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, la bam said:

With the lack of info out there on the EVO markbass really have done themselves a dis service.

Theyve put so much work into it that its an amazing amp, but they never really mention its features in depth.

For example, the 3 band eq is designed to react with the gain/drive control for each specific amp - ie with the ampegs adding in much more bass really brings in a lovely valve drive, yet with other models youll get a defined bottom end, and with others a smoother sound. Its not just pick a sound then add high. mid or low on top.

If they would have really invested time in promoting this properly, im sure there would be forums and settings sharing out there.

Ive played in in completely contrasting bands and environments and never ever had an issue getting perfectly in the mix.

Thanks La Bam - I'm very interested in this head.  As I previously stated I wouldn't necessarily look at Modelling amps but some of the features make a lot of sense to me.  I'm struggling to find much information or many decent use reviews on line - unfortunately no where near me has one to try or even just look at. 

To be honest, apart from the italian guys video for markbass, and the samples, the other reviews/demos are rubbish. Even that one doesn't do it anywhere near justice.

These are very difficult to get hold of now. Even most of the shops that say they have them don't.

I don't want to sell it, but I've 3 amps and 1 of them has to go. The other in the mix is my ashdown evo iv abm600. To be honest I'd be more than happy which ever one I keep. Both fantastic amps in different ways.

43 minutes ago, la bam said:

I don't want to sell it, but I've 3 amps and 1 of them has to go. The other in the mix is my ashdown evo iv abm600. To be honest I'd be more than happy which ever one I keep. Both fantastic amps in different ways.

What is the one you are keeping?

Just because we are playing as whole different range of gigs now with hired in backlines (8x10s etc) I just go straight to the desk through a vtrm rack. All the band kind of go 'sound in a box' direct to the desk, and we either take a signal from there to monitors or a power amp to the stage gear and adjust for monitoring only there. I take either the abm or evo just in case when we get there there is no on stage amp or monitoring is poor.