Why become a member? ×

Which DI to record to computer?

Chris2112

Evening lads, 

I'm currently looking at getting a DI box to record to my computer. I've never owned one before but my plan over winter is to buy a decent gaming PC with some recording functions built in (so a decent soundcard will be a must). 

I was after a DI to add to my signal chain. First of all, I wanted to add a high pass filter just to add that extra layer of control to my tone and to cut out some of those articulation and power-sapping subsonic frequencies. 

I see that some pedals, like the Fishman Platinum, have that feature. I could use it for day to day playing, live use and recording at home. That said, beyond the Sansamp Bass Driver, I don't really know much about DI boxes. The Fishman Platinum looks appealing as it seems to have a good look, which looks pretty well made, and it has good features. I've never used any Fishman stuff before but I know they are well regarded.

What else should I consider?

honestly best thing to do buy something like a focusrite scarlet, allows xlr or jack input has an input gain control and im guessing will do a better job of getting the bass to a daw than your inbuilt soundcard.

however if your using a di straight in id look at something with some sort of speaker sim so maybe the two notes le bass, as for me a di straight sounds pretty nasty even on a clean sound, as a straight di box you cant go wrong with anything by radial, there passive stage bug is what i use for sending my sampler to the foh, its tiny but has a ground lift and a input pad. as well as a thru 1/4" jack so it can sit in the effects chain.

What about a digital modeller?

A Zoom B3 would be perfect, it has not only a DI XLR on the back, but it's also got a USB socket that you can use as a recording interface on your PC.

If you play guitar as well, you could look at  something like the Line6 HD500x. It also has DI outputs, but it also has the USB socket, and can be used for recording. You will need to buy the HD Bass pack, but it is a great all round tool for guitar & bass. Sounds good too (yes, I have one and use it mainly for the bass).

The Boss GT-10B does the same thing, and there are others that are equally as capable.

you need an interface first. A pre-amp DI is useful but not necessary as you can re-amp your dry signal.

The Scarlett 2i2 Gen 2 is your best bet. It has instrument inputs and bass sounds very nice going in direct. As I found after trying all sorts of pre amps lol

Edited by bazzbass
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bazzbass said:

you need an interface first. A pre-amp DI is useful but not necessary as you can re-amp your dry signal.

The Scarlett 2i2 Gen 2 is your best bet. It has instrument inputs and bass sounds very nice going in direct. As I found after trying all sorts of pre amps lol

this is what use works great

Edited by 0175westwood29

Essentially, if you have a good recording interface for your computer, with an instrument level input, there shouldn’t be a need for a DI box.

A DI box is only really used if you only have a Mic level input (an XLR input), such as on a live PA desk, or you specifically want to record the tone of the DI box in question.

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

Edited by Sibob

• 2 months later...
On 11/08/2018 at 09:34, Skybone said:

What about a digital modeller?

A Zoom B3 would be perfect, it has not only a DI XLR on the back, but it's also got a USB socket that you can use as a recording interface on your PC.

This is what I think I may do, the B3 seems to be best value. I want to practice with headphones without an amp but also the potential to record in the future.

54 minutes ago, antnee said:

This is what I think I may do, the B3 seems to be best value. I want to practice with headphones without an amp but also the potential to record in the future.

Bear in mind that the current version, the B3n does not have a DI out and the USB can't be used for recording.