Why become a member? ×

Knobs changing during gig due to cable

Kamiel

Hi,

I'm sure this is asked before but the only topic I could find was about 10 years old so:

The knobs on my pedalboard have been changing DURING GIGS due to a cable running over them when I am moving around the stage. I have little pieces of tape telling me where wich knob should be but when your sound is gone you don't wonna check 20+ knobs on there position. The knobs should stay put. 

Do you guy's have any good solutions to this problem? 

grts, Kamiel

Wireless is to expensive right now, and for some reason I'm generally not really a fan of wireless, but that's just a feeling-based thing I guess. 

I agree that your sound should be fixed before you go on stage, that's not the problem, so taping the knobs down would be a solution, thanks. More ideal would be something that makes the knobs able to move but makes it a lot harder, so it's more permanent in a way that I don't have to tape down my pedalboard every gig.

4 hours ago, Kamiel said:

Wireless is to expensive right now, and for some reason I'm generally not really a fan of wireless, but that's just a feeling-based thing I guess. 

I agree that your sound should be fixed before you go on stage, that's not the problem, so taping the knobs down would be a solution, thanks. More ideal would be something that makes the knobs able to move but makes it a lot harder, so it's more permanent in a way that I don't have to tape down my pedalboard every gig.

take of your knob and put a rubber washer under it, will still turn but will take more force to do so

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

as an enabler, as we all are, the obvious solution is to buy a wireless unit.

Line6 G30 works great with bass imho

SPECIAL BONUS answer, buy TWO wireless belt packs, one for each bass.

PS when I'm happy with how my 5 pedal board sounds, I take a phone pic of it so I can cleary see the settings of every knob for future reference :)

Edited by bazzbass

17 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, electrical tape is the way to go.

Anyone who thinks it's smart to voluntarily change the settings on their pedals between songs has no business being on stage - get your sound sorted out before the gig, not during it!

I’ve got 6 pedals currently. One is a tuner. Because I don’t have room to have two fuzzes, two overdrives, two octave pedals, and a distortion means that I shouldn’t be Allowed to gig? I call bulls**t on that.

Anyone who isn’t an idiot should be able to sort out how they set their levels for different songs; more gain from the Fuzz means less gain for the overdrive, etc.  It’s like learning the songs themselves, you practice changes and then figure out appropriate settings during soundcheck.

51 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

as an enabler, as we all are, the obvious solution is to buy a wireless unit.

Line6 G30 works great with bass imho

SPECIAL BONUS answer, buy TWO wireless belt packs, one for each bass.

PS when I'm happy with how my 5 pedal board sounds, I take a phone pic of it so I can cleary see the settings of every knob for future reference :)

Altough 200 EUR is'nt that much for a wireless unit (if it indeed works great) it's still not the kind of money I can or want to spend right now. I will in the future, near or less near, but it isn't something I can do right now. 

And I do have the picture with my prefered settings for future reference, it's just that I don't want to be taking my phone out on stage while the rest of the band is playing to discover why I have no sound. 😛 

14 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

take of your knob and put a rubber washer under it, will still turn but will take more force to do so

I've heard of this method before, just didn't want to propose it in the original post to have a plain field to start with. I will try this, it is propably the cheapest trick so if it works I'll be happy.

14 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

does the washer need to be tight on the spindle or just that it's between the knob and the pedal?

I know there are pens made for marking pedals that just wipe off. can't remember it's name but google will find it

Edited by bazzbass

3 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

does the washer need to be tight on the spindle or just that it's between the knob and the pedal?

I know there are pens made for marking pedals that just wipe off. can't remember it's name but google will find it

Again, it's not the marking that's the problem, it's just that even with markings you don't have the time (on stage, during a song...) to look at 20+ different knobs to see if they're all in the right place, with or without markings! 

But talking about markings, I make little stickers with cirkles on and I draw where the knob should be, and those draw on paper stickers come off real clean and easy if you want them to.

yeah I know, I added the bit about the pen as being easier than looking at your phone to reset the knobs :)

I'm buying some silicone washers tomorrow methinks

Hmmm and if you wanted to be sure it won't move, Loctite or nail varnish between washer and pedal and between washer and knob ! OH YEAH THAT'S IT

Edited by bazzbass

10 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

It should bridge the gap between the bottom of the knob and the top of the pedal to provide friction.

You could also do the brofressional thing and invest in some gaffers tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cheers, and yeah gaffa tape fixes everything. I wrapped the hole in a muffler with gaffa tape. That part lasted longer than the rest of the exhaust system lol.

Also known to hold a rip in a pair of jeans, from the inside.

I just rememberred Jeremy Clarkson chauferring a wedding in jeans covered in black gaffa tape rotfl

Edited by bazzbass

9 hours ago, bazzbass said:

needs to be against the knob as its against that where it stops it turning