Why become a member? ×

Quitting, Why, When & How

Bluewine

Just now, peteb said:

You may have misunderstood - I don't think that he is referring to taking illicit substances here... 

Yes... ESL moment there. Living in Sweden is corroding my English. It's the other super addictive substance. That you don't shoot. Rather, one 'shoots' into it, right?

Actually, adding to reasons to quit: bandmates doing any illegal stuff. You know, failing to report the full gig pay as income, drinking and driving, or, indeed, buying or selling illicit substances.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

And you're in E. London? Where are these gigs - Wolverhampton?

Furthest so far was a wedding in Burton (which is further away than Wolverhampton)...but it was a lot of fun!

It can take almost as long getting to the other side of London during rush hour and a much more 'painful' journey believe me.

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, nobody's prefect said:

Yes... ESL moment there. Living in Sweden is corroding my English. It's the other super addictive substance. That you don't shoot. Rather, one 'shoots' into it, right?

Actually, adding to reasons to quit: bandmates doing any illegal stuff. You know, failing to report the full gig pay as income, drinking and driving, or, indeed, buying or selling illicit substances.

As someone said above, your English is far better than my Swedish...! 

As far as your reasons to leave a band - all I can say is you would have struggled to stay in a rock band in the UK in the 80s

My ex-band was an indie-pop originals band, with a lot of interesting potential in the music, but fatal differences in musical standards and failures of communication. I tried, often, gently, to talk these through, but was ignored. Eventually I had to get out. Had a long phone talk with the keys player - the only one I'd have given the time of day to outside band sessions - who was very supportive. Then had a short phone talk with the bl, who was completely defensive and almost rude. Then sent a very short polite email to all the band members - none of them replied. Which confirmed to me that I was right to leave. I had put a lot of time into that band and developing basslines and arrangements for their music, and it shouldn't have been hard to say "thank you". Mind you it was good musical experience, and it's a shame it didn't work out.

(They did find another bass player, but disappeared completely soon after.)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, josie said:

...sent a very short polite email to all the band members - none of them replied... ...it shouldn't have been hard to say "thank you"...

What is it about these deluded fantasists that also makes them unable to communicate? Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered, or left it for someone else to sort out. As usual. 9_9

Edited by discreet

1 minute ago, josie said:

"Life is too short to play bass with ä**ëhölës." 

It's a pity when they actually write good interesting songs though 😞 

Unfortunately there's usually a compromise to be made. Depends if there's still enough in it for you. Or not.

Just now, discreet said:

Unfortunately there's usually a compromise to be made. Depends if there's still enough in it for you. Or not.

That’s where I’m at - I want to play. But I’m reticent to do so because in the last few projects I’ve been ready to wrap a Jazz bass around someone’s head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That’s where I’m at - I want to play. But I’m reticent to do so because in the last few projects I’ve been ready to wrap a Jazz bass around someone’s head.

You're a Precision guy, then?

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

...I want to play. But I’m reticent to do so because in the last few projects I’ve been ready to wrap a Jazz bass around someone’s head.

Yes, bands seem to attract real boneheads for some reason. Agghh! Maybe I'm a bonehead! O.o

2 minutes ago, alyctes said:

Joke :)

No I was serious - the one on the far left was poised once. The singer wasn’t looking though. She’s still got 1/2 the band backing her. Twatbangle was her nickname between the other half of the band.

Edited by AndyTravis

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

No I was serious - the one on the far left was poised once. The singer wasn’t looking though. She’s still got 1/2 the band backing her. Twatbangle was her nickname between the other half of the band.

Blimey.  I'm impressed you stayed that long.

Senile Dion nearly made it...but she’s a good kid, just not been told ‘no’ a lot in her life.

the half that went with her just stared at her a lot.

the half that left are married so don’t need to give two stinky poos about what a “good looking” girl thinks of us other than our wives 😉

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1