Why become a member? ×

18V pedals - what's really good out there?

Al Krow

Guys - my MXR Iso-Brick has two 18V 250mA outputs.

I'm using one for my Cali 76CB, but the other is currently "spare".

I've possibly got space for one more (relatively compact i.e. not a Two Notes Le Bass size) pedal on my board as I'm going from a Metro 24 to a Classic Jr and that'll allow me to put the Iso-Brick underneath. I'm actually kinda "open" to suggestions as to what this final pedal might be, so I'm not going to limit you to particular pedal types (other than I don't need another compressor!)

The one key requirement for this "wild card" pedal is that it needs to be able to handle 18V.

Look forward to your suggestions! Cheers AK

4 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Do you need another pedal, or want another? I mean do you miss a certain texture/sound or is it just because you can?

Analogman Chorus is great on 18v

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

It's kinda a "treat" pedal...so I'm being open minded as to what that might be and hopefully this thread might throw up some suggestions that add to or improve on what I already have, which is: 

PB - 1808 .JPG

Good you posted your board.

My “blunt” opinion.

I see duplication going on, 2 synths (arguable 3 with the manta) and 2 octaves (clearly different variations but in essence 2 synth and 2 octave effects. Not counting the Zoom of course.

My blunt opinion, Matroyka does a really good synth in a very compact package so get rid of the Super Synth and save some proper space. Get a proper Chorus/Reverb instead. Then get rid of the digital Digitech (it is not great for bass imho) and get a Meatbox or a good analogue filter.

But opinions are @rseholes.. so just ignore me.

Haha thanks Hazbeen, I'm just after an 18V pedal at the moment 😀

The MB SS actually has (for me anyway) more 'usable' synth sounds than the 🍌M, but I'm just getting to grips with the little yellow one; and the MB SS is a pretty good octaver too. However you can't have octave and synth simultaneously on the MB SS - hence a second octave pedal. The MB SS also has 12 presets, which for a gigging musician is a god-send. Just think about twiddling the 🍌M's tiny dials in the  middle of a live-set (even with my little stick on markers added, which really do help!)

The Valeton OC-10 octaver arrived yesterday and OMG it's probably the best kept octaver secret in the bass pedal world! Even @dood was impressed!

The SA Manta is really a filter multi-fx. So much more versatile than some of the 'one trick pony' analogue filters out there and I think you'll find it's a 'must have' pedal on many BCers boards who are into filters / synths.

Digitech Mosaic - actually really good for octave up and turns my six string bass (which is strung E to E) into an octave down 12 string guitar (which is lush). But yes that one could be moved to my home use board and off my gigging pedal board.

In terms of chorus / reverb / flange / phase / tuner - the Zoom MS-60B is actually pretty good and pretty passable at EQ / HPF / bit crusher.

...but if there's an 18V pedal out there that knocks the socks of any of the above, or should be added to them I'm all ears :) 

Edited by Al Krow

On 10/08/2018 at 14:43, Al Krow said:

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

It's kinda a "treat" pedal...so I'm being open minded as to what that might be and hopefully this thread might throw up some suggestions that add to or improve on what I already have, which is: 

PB - 1808 .JPG

You need to make space for your Hub and something that can send MIDI PC messages. Couldn’t the hub sit on top of the power brick?

Edited by Quatschmacher

Unfortunately won't fit in the (hard) gig case.

Hub and Midi PC messages would be for home use only though right? It's not going to be appropriate for live use, unless I've missed something important! The above (or a slightly re-jigged version which I've posted on the pedal board thread) is my gigging board.

If so, I presume the Hub doesn't need to be on this 'gigging' board - I've got a separate home use board where it is currently perched.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Unfortunately won't fit in the (hard) gig case.

Hub and Midi PC messages would be for home use only though right? It's not going to be appropriate for live use, unless I've missed something important! The above (or a slightly re-jigged version which I've posted on the pedal board thread) is my gigging board.

If so, I presume the Hub doesn't need to be on this 'gigging' board - I've got a separate home use board where it is currently perched.

That’s a shame. What about if you had velcro on top of the brick and carried the hub loose in a pocket and attached it during set-up pre-gig?

Of course it’s appropriate for live use. You can switch presets using it. Also, if you’re ever only likely to use no more than two presets per song but want access to more sounds during the course of a gig, you can set the hub up such that it writes the presets to the hardware preset buttons when you select them. You could design your preset pairs (at home) and choose which ones you want to be on the left and which on the right. Then before each track you simply send the two PC messages and voila, your new presets are available on the hardware stomp switches.

You should also get an expression pedal to make use of the hub’s ability to alter a parameter within a preset (ie to bring in an LFO or add resonance etc).

Edited by Quatschmacher

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How? Doesn't it require a PC to do that?

See edit above.

No, PC in this context means “program change”. You could do it with a phone, tablet or a dedicated stomp box or a synth; basically with anything capable of sending a midi program change message. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Cheers Q. But seriously that ain't gonna happen during a live set! "Dead air time" is non starter for a function band. (And besides I don't have the space on this particular board, so it would need a radical redesign new board etc).

What is more likely is that I'll be working out my favourite effects on the two Source Audio pedals (which is what we are talking about here right?) and saving them as part of the 128 presets on my PC and simply have the two most usable ones for each uploaded pre gig.

...but we're straying wildly from 18V pedals! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Way Huge Pork Loin works better with 18v 😉

Aha - thanks. And the One Control HGBM (which I probably shouldn't have moved on!) also has more headroom at 18V than at 9V - but actually slightly less gain which I've not got my head around as to why!

Technically it would have more gain at 18V. Gain is just an increase in volume, but in an overdrive pedal there is a low ceiling where distortion happens when the volume exceeds that point. Doubling the voltage raises that ceiling (i.e. more headroom) so it will sound cleaner, but louder, then the same settings at 9V.

Ab lot of the Darkglass stuff sounds better at 18V IMHO (although you can blow a lot of them up at 18V if it's a really old one or a newer one with digital cab sim, so don't try this at home, kids!). If you're still running the M900, you could try an Alpha Omega or even a Pike Vulcan for a different flavour.

• Like 1

If you watch the video I sent you it’ll make sense. Basically 18v doubles the ‘ceiling’ so where a pedal operating at 9v would ‘clip’ you’ve essentially doubled that headroom offering more gain before clipping. Watch the vid 👍🏽

8 minutes ago, krispn said:

If you watch the video I sent you it’ll make sense. Basically 18v doubles the ‘ceiling’ so where a pedal operating at 9v would ‘clip’ you’ve essentially doubled that headroom offering more gain before clipping. Watch the vid 👍🏽

I think that's definitely the reason for running the PL at 18v. I read loads of complaints about clipping at 9v with this pedal.

40 minutes ago, krispn said:

I'm actually just quoting the One Control website where in their words: 

"Hooker's Green Bass Machine operates under high voltage when used with up to an 18V adapter. With higher voltage, head room is increased to allow even richer expression while reducing the gain slightly." 

I presume from what you and dB** are saying they are just being loose with their language when they refer to the gain being reduced?

**for the avoidance of doubt, dB = dannybuoy (not dave_bass5 who I guess should be dB5 which, by the way, was also an awesome Aston Martin...) 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I’m not referring the the hgbm specifically just the difference in running at 9v or 18v. Watch the vid it has some audio examples too although with yiuntube compression it may be hard to discern. 

Will do.

This is the video that krispn is referring to. It's nearly 40 mins long, so make sure you've brewed a cuppa beforehand...

Ok nothing massively exciting at 18V, so far, coming to light on this thread.

And I've possibly got two 18 volts slots now free following the demise of one of my pedals, whose return to the store is making my pedal board feel a little less compressed.

I guess the other angle here instead of looking for an 18V pedal to fill the void, is to convert the 18V to 9V with one of these -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truetone-TT-V189-18v-to-9v-Converter/332761879777?epid=24016492485&hash=item4d7a2754e1:g:WuIAAOSwhIZbIQx-

£13.50 a pop, though!

Is that about the going rate for this gear?

Is there a such a thing as voltage splitter cable that would split an 18V output into 2 x 9V?

@dannybuoy - I'm guessing you'll have the answer to all the above in glorious technicolor already!