Why become a member? Read more... ×
Basschat Podcast: Episode 1 Read more... ×
NancyJohnson

Gibson 20/20 (Australia!)

Look, I know it's not eBay, but these are pretty rare basses (under 50 made) and there's a bit of love here.

I found a Gibson 20/20 online, Premier Guitars, Sydney.  It's currently on sale for 1,200 AUD, which in Sterling is around £690, so for one of these basses it's a steal.  I contacted the seller, sadly the insured shipping comes out at 424 AUD (£240) and you'd need to factor in import duties (<5%) and VAT on the bass and shipping (another £190).  They said they can reduce the shipping if they discarded the hard case (non original), assuring me it could be 'packed it well in bubblewrap).  At around £1,200, I just found the whole cost somewhat prohibitive and dropped out.  It looks as though it may have been signed by Ned Steinberger too - if you right-click the image below and view the image in full-res, you'll see a signature.

If you have deep pockets, check here: http://www.premierguitars.com.au/product/gibson-steinberger-2020-bass-usa-1987/

The contact at Premier is John Spence.

V2_0424.jpg

Wow! How cool is that? Shame about the added costs. The carriage seems particularly high, I had a motorbike engine sent over a few years back for £80. I expected it to take an age but it arrived in about 10 days.

I'd love this, but I'd prefer a first run Hamer Cruise Bass more.  Sod's Law...I'd probably swing for this and a Cruise would come up in a few days.

Wow. 

This is left-field enough that I don't know whether I like it or not.

(I own a Westone Rail I'll never sell, just for context.)

Edited by alyctes

I want one of these as well as the very similar spector nsx...I will have a mullet and wear pastel Blazers with shoulder pads.

0D4F958F-B201-420E-83AB-98EF3112682C.jpeg

On 10/08/2018 at 11:30, NancyJohnson said:

I'd love this, but I'd prefer a first run Hamer Cruise Bass more.  Sod's Law...I'd probably swing for this and a Cruise would come up in a few days.

...and whaddyaknow!