Why become a member? ×

New 2018 Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass (flat white)

JimH

Received one of these a few hours ago - still in the wrapping but first impressions are stonking value for money.....

398B62EC-F4DB-4351-8A1C-726C5D2FC5B2.jpeg

Edited by JimH
Chance of thread title to avoid offending the over-sensitive....

• 1 month later...

Yup - only gigged it once so far but mightily impressed - obviously a much more laid back, woody tone than my Status Empathy (which is, after all, why I bought it), but the humbuckers do growl too when the active boost is turned up - a great bass for the money..... Used with a TC RH750 and just a TC RS112 at the gig in question but sounded great with just an electo-acoustic guitar and vocals through a small PA and acoustic drums alongside....

Edited by JimH

With the active boosts backed off it sounds enough like a Jazz to me - have you seen the Andertons video on youtube? That’s a pretty good demo of the versatility and bang for buck that you get for just over £350 👍

Edited by JimH
Added YouTube LInk

• 3 months later...

I have just treated myself to a shiny black fiver. Lots of comments on other forums kept remarking how heavy these are, but when I picked it up in the shop I was quite taken aback by how light it is. In contrast, I picked up a flat white 4 which was next to it, and it was as heavy as a heavy thing, noticeably heavier than the 5er. Most peculiar. So a good start, then I started playing it and was instantly smitten. I am mostly a PJ player, but wanted a jazz with balls just to see how I got on. Once I had got the thing home, changed it into Chromes, set it up nicely how I like it, tightened a few knobs, it really is a lovely thing. Without the bass/treble boost it sounds like I imagine most jazz's sound, very musical. When a bit of boost is engaged (it is quite subtle, no 'in yer face' red-lining) it really turns it into a lucious growl. With the stacked boost knobs, in combo with the 'passive' tone knob and the pup blend, you can get a whole range of sounds and tones. 

The finish is pretty good. When setting it up, I took the neck off and found quite a lot of compressed sawdust which was making it not quite right in the pocket, so I cleaned it out, put in a little shim, and it set up much better, without the B bridge almost on the deck as before. The 19th fret is a little proud so needs a shave, but apart from these things, it is a very nice bass for the money

I just weighed it on the bathroom scales and it comes out at 9lbs (doesn't show ounces!) but I know it is one of my lighter 5ers. I am looking forward to playing it with the band and probably at the next gig.

P1020714.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...