Why become a member? ×

Dave Grohl - Play

NancyJohnson

Look, I don't profess to being a Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QoTSA, The Crooked Vultures or Probot fan, but I do find Dave Grohl somewhat endearing. This has just dropped on YT. The first eight minutes is documentarist, the final 23 minutes is an instrumental track wholly recorded by Dave Grohl.

It's pretty intense. It's also pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll watch that later. DG is a very likeable chap and seems like a genuine music fan. The film he made following the purchase of the desk from Sound City Studio in LA was very enjoyable, his clear joy at discussing recordings with the artists was infectious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Look, I don't profess to being a Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QoTSA, The Crooked Vultures or Probot fan, but I do find Dave Grohl somewhat endearing. This has just dropped on YT. The first eight minutes is documentarist, the final 23 minutes is an instrumental track wholly recorded by Dave Grohl.

It's pretty intense. It's also pretty good.

Interesting; worth watching. :i-m_so_happy:

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I really don't like Foo Fighters.  Can't really put my finger on why.  A bit like Weezer.

They have all the constituent parts that mean I should adore them, but I find them a bit meh.

I liked their first album all those years ago but their appeal for me has reduced with every album. I know what you mean about feeling like you should like them as I feel the same. I think they found their sound and have stuck to the same formula for the last twenty years, no bad thing necessarily but it's all a bit safe and 'Dad Rock' for my liking. 

They do what they do though and do it very well :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I like Dave Grohl, he seems like a thoroughly nice chap. Foo Fighters are a great band although I find I like the singles and one for two other tracks but not enough to buy a full album. 

Pretty much my feelings too.

10 hours ago, Maude said:

I'll watch that later. DG is a very likeable chap and seems like a genuine music fan. The film he made following the purchase of the desk from Sound City Studio in LA was very enjoyable, his clear joy at discussing recordings with the artists was infectious. 

I agree with every single word you said. I really like him, and love that doco, BUT, I just can't seem to like the Foo Fighters, just a bit too meh,.The other musos aren't really that good, for me, boring basslines and drums, maybe on purpose by Dave but I doubt it, he doesn't seem the type to tell a bassist to play roots only, unlike Angus Young or Eddie Van Halen lol

Play was good to watch/ listen to. He's keen on young people learning and discovering music, he has no arrogance about him. The musical piece is a bit long for me, sounds very Foo Fighters too, then there's a bit with the acoustic guitar and glokenspiel/ xylophone which reminded me of Radiohead.... It's well worth a watch, good to see a rock musician a little out of his usual comfort zone of three and a half minute pop song formula. 

Interesting views on the Foos... I thought I was the only one not wildly in love with them! Great songs, solid musicians, excellent performers live, just a bit bored of the formula now.... And they were my ex's favourite band so I struggle to enjoy them now.

They are worth seeing live, so generous to the audience.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Play was good to watch/ listen to. He's keen on young people learning and discovering music, he has no arrogance about him. The musical piece is a bit long for me, sounds very Foo Fighters too, then there's a bit with the acoustic guitar and glokenspiel/ xylophone which reminded me of Radiohead.... It's well worth a watch, good to see a rock musician a little out of his usual comfort zone of three and a half minute pop song formula. 

3.5 minutes?! I wish! Since the first album Foo Fighters have had the flabbiest arrangements in history! Even worse, they actually extend the songs when they play live, repeating choruses over and over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

3.5 minutes?! I wish! Since the first album Foo Fighters have had the flabbiest arrangements in history! Even worse, they actually extend the songs when they play live, repeating choruses over and over.

Ok, maybe wasn't meant literally... I just meant the typical formula of verse-bridge-chorus, verse-bridge-chorus, solo, verse-bridge-chorus... Etc

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Ok, maybe wasn't meant literally... I just meant the typical formula of verse-bridge-chorus, verse-bridge-chorus, solo, verse-bridge-chorus... Etc

I get it, and I'll check out the video tonight, I suspect it's pretty good

...but standard FF arrangement is verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus

• Haha 2

I've seen the Foos live twice, once supporting the Chili Peppers in Ireland and again headlining Hyde Park.

Both times I was really impressed.

I've tried to get in to the albums, but never have, but live they are superb.

Edited by Cato

Watched it, enjoyed it, maybe a tad too long, but there's plenty of movement through the piece to keep you interested. Bizarrely, I thought a few sections were more of a nod to various influences of his, than his than the Foo Fighters, but overall, an interesting watch.

He really does come across as a genuinely decent bloke you'd go to the pub with & generally talk mince about music, being listening to or playing.

I hope that it really does inspire young people to pick up instruments & start playing.