Why become a member? ×

No more Procrastination! (An interesting small valve head story)

Bridgehouse

36 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Hi Bigwan, I remember buying a LB-30 from someone up North about 3 years ago and he kindly sent it to Waterford (was it you?) , It was fantastic sounding amp and I foolishly thought it wasn't powerful enough (it was my cab) and I sold it on - I really miss it. I now too have a barefaced two10 and am running an Ashdown CTM-100 through it and it has heaps of power...which got me thinking about revisiting the low wattage valve thing. I'm wondering if a 50W tube head would suffice for home use / small gigs. Let me know how you get on with it.  

Hi Quilly, I don't honestly remember where my LB30 went, but it was gone longer ago than that so yours didn't come from me I don't think. I'm not in a band at the minute so I'll not be much use to you I'm afraid! Technically there shouldn't be much difference between 50 watts and 100 watts, but I'm a firm believer in "better the devil you know...". I'm slightly jealous of your CTM100... I'll maybe give you a shout next time I'm visiting my brother in Kilkenny and we can compare/contrast heads!

09.30 after logging online call at 11.00pm last night - message from shop apologising profusely and telling me they are setting up an exchange (pick up and drop off at same time) as soon as they can. 

If I still don’t like it then full refund. Phone number and name of assistant provided if I have any questions or concerns. 

Yeah - I can’t fault that at all. It’s the sort of service you hope for but don’t always get.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Hi Quilly, I don't honestly remember where my LB30 went, but it was gone longer ago than that so yours didn't come from me I don't think. I'm not in a band at the minute so I'll not be much use to you I'm afraid! Technically there shouldn't be much difference between 50 watts and 100 watts, but I'm a firm believer in "better the devil you know...". I'm slightly jealous of your CTM100... I'll maybe give you a shout next time I'm visiting my brother in Kilkenny and we can compare/contrast heads!

The CTM-100 is a serious amp but it needs a good cab. I gigged with the barefaced two10 in a loud outdoors gig unsupported by a PA last Friday night and it was great, warm and clean while being plenty loud enough. Its relatively portable compared to most big valve heads (its only 19kg which isnt bad at all). 

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

Sure I can drive up to KK with my barefaced and CTM-100

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

09.30 after logging online call at 11.00pm last night - message from shop apologising profusely and telling me they are setting up an exchange (pick up and drop off at same time) as soon as they can. 

If I still don’t like it then full refund. Phone number and name of assistant provided if I have any questions or concerns. 

Yeah - I can’t fault that at all. It’s the sort of service you hope for but don’t always get.

Glad it's getting sorted.  Mine arrived today and have to say, it's perfect!  Reached straight for that '74 P w/ flats, instant joy!

Happy New Tube Amp Day to us all!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

What do they sound like? The online demos are ALL with Stingrays with the treble cranked, which I like but it needs to be with other basses as well!

Well, despite the crackling, when I tried it with my 64 Precision it sounded the closest I’ve heard an amp sound to the vintage b15 I tried out and loved. 

Deep, complex, warm, smooth and defined.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quilly said:

Hi Bigwan, I remember buying a LB-30 from someone up North about 3 years ago and he kindly sent it to Waterford (was it you?) , It was fantastic sounding amp and I foolishly thought it wasn't powerful enough (it was my cab) and I sold it on - I really miss it. I now too have a barefaced two10 and am running an Ashdown CTM-100 through it and it has heaps of power...which got me thinking about revisiting the low wattage valve thing. I'm wondering if a 50W tube head would suffice for home use / small gigs. Let me know how you get on with it.  

I might be able to help here...I have both the CTM-100 and the LB-30, which I run into a Bergantino 2x12. The CTM-100 managed an outdoor gig without PA support last month, and coped sufficiently well that the rest of the band suggested suggested I turn down a bit! I mostly use the LB-30 for home and recording, but it still comes out for smaller gigs - it's certainly managed small-to-medium-sized pubs and bars without needing any help.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 17:20, MartinB said:

Love the idea of a little PF-20T for recording... if only I ever did any recording! 😁
£299 seems like a good price (https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/ampeg-portaflex-pf-20t-20w-bass-amplifier-head), though "Available to order" might mean "no chance".

Thanks for posting the link to get these great prices.  Good spot :)

3 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Calling @TJ Spicer!

You called the right man! Love my Little Stubby, it has some beautiful cleans available in it as well as plenty of dirt if needed. Very easily carry-able too, the from factor makes it possible just to hang it from one arm by its in-built handle. Let me know if you have any more specific questions, my video of it is up on youtube too. 

Just now, Misowaki said:

It can get pretty loud through both my cabs too, not quite comparable to the PF-500 but holy feckballs, if it doesn't sound delightful!  I'm thinking about the potential  of using it as a preamp for the PF-500 🤔

The first one sounded (crackly) gorgeous - and was a lot louder than I expected. I had to crank it to make sure that wasn’t the problem, right?

Dunno mate, I cranked mine and the volume peaked at about 2 o'clock but no crackle.  Through both my cabs (remember to flick the ohms switch, kids!) with volume and gain at about 1 O'clock it was brown-sound worthy.  Not for volume per se but richness.  Like the learned wisdom of one who has lived 'it' vs the brash power of the one who believes 'it' can be bought about by sexy force (the PF-500).

Reading that back I'm not sure that makes much sense but I'm sticking by it...

9 minutes ago, Misowaki said:

Dunno mate, I cranked mine and the volume peaked at about 2 o'clock but no crackle.  Through both my cabs (remember to flick the ohms switch, kids!) with volume and gain at about 1 O'clock it was brown-sound worthy.  Not for volume per se but richness.  Like the learned wisdom of one who has lived 'it' vs the brash power of the one who believes 'it' can be bought about by sexy force (the PF-500).

Reading that back I'm not sure that makes much sense but I'm sticking by it...

You stick with it mate - sounds good whatever you meant ;)

• Thanks 1