Why become a member? ×

No more Procrastination! (An interesting small valve head story)

Bridgehouse

1 hour ago, drlargepants said:

I have this monster lurking under the stairs. 

It’s not be turned on since 1994 (oops pardon) so needs tlc by someone who knows what they’re doing. 

It weighs more than the moon though so hardly practical. 

From memory it sounded pretty good for bass. 135 watts RMS so should be loud enough ... 

8 ohms though and I don’t have an 8 ohms cab  

68FE672B-F38B-455F-A6B4-1D2816D37933.jpeg

3320EB53-EF4C-4A9A-9B04-9F229323D555.jpeg

Im using a 4 ohm cab on my 8 ohm valve head and it hasn’t caught fire yet . Apparently a 100% mismatch is ‘ok’ for tube amps. 

Apparently the old bulgin power inputs are potentially deadly so that needs changing. 

I spoke to the guy who made these amps and he wasn’t to keen on running it via a 4ohm cab. 

Theyre Bassman clones by all accounts. 

I really should get it sorted out, I just love ‘that’ tone you get with an all valve amp, plus it’s going to be cheaper than an AS200b getting it fixed. 

6 minutes ago, drlargepants said:

Apparently the old bulgin power inputs are potentially deadly so that needs changing. 

I spoke to the guy who made these amps and he wasn’t to keen on running it via a 4ohm cab. 

Theyre Bassman clones by all accounts. 

I really should get it sorted out, I just love ‘that’ tone you get with an all valve amp, plus it’s going to be cheaper than an AS200b getting it fixed. 

He might be able to add a 4ohm tap for you . Apparently it can be done . I agree a good service is definitely required . The capacitors could be shot also. God only knows what condition the valves are in. You’re looking at a nice chunk of money but it’s worth the imo.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2019 at 20:21, rubis said:

Looks like Kenny's aren't doing the PF20t any more now either, too late 😢

Gear4music have them for £349, which is £50 more than Kenny's but still a damn sight cheaper than anywhere else

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 21:14, Quilly said:

Just back from a revalve and service ...I’m so pleased with it . Even though it’s a guitar head it’s great with bass . Plenty of ‘heft’ as they say . 50w Carslbro Top. Talk about dirty tones as well 😃😃

9AB48E42-803D-4C9C-990E-D7B53F483FB0.jpeg

Had rehearsal with my ‘rig’ tonight . Very interesting tones from it . Meaty midrange , sounds great with a p bass, throaty. Not the deepest lows in the world but I have other amps that can do that . I’m leaving well enough alone 😃

So after having not used it in months and only a handful of times previously (about 5 or 6!) I turned it on the last week to find a thin, brittle sound.  Tried re-biasing as explained in the manual, nothing.  It's still under warranty but Polar are just saying 'send it back' without confirming whether the tubes are covered under warranty.  Anyone had a similar experience and resolution?  I don't want to send it back and end up footing a bill that could be avoided by just taking it for a service.

1 hour ago, Misowaki said:

So after having not used it in months and only a handful of times previously (about 5 or 6!) I turned it on the last week to find a thin, brittle sound.  Tried re-biasing as explained in the manual, nothing.  It's still under warranty but Polar are just saying 'send it back' without confirming whether the tubes are covered under warranty.  Anyone had a similar experience and resolution?  I don't want to send it back and end up footing a bill that could be avoided by just taking it for a service.

What amp is it?

7 minutes ago, Misowaki said:

Ah, the PF20T, subject of the initial skirmish.

Yeah...I'm not sure about those, its very early days yet, time will tell an the verdict of those tube amps, almost pulled the trigger on the 50t when they were going cheap on Kennys site in Scotland.