Why become a member? ×

No more Procrastination! (An interesting small valve head story)

Bridgehouse

6 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

So glad I bought mine from Kennys when I did! (Boast Post)

Me too! (Brag tag)

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I feel guilty starting this thread for all you guys that ended up spending your hard earned cash on a good valve head :D

On the contrary, we should be forming a queue to thank you!

• Like 1

Not thinking much of the ruby (shuguang) valves that come stock in the pf20t. Although I think they sound alright.

Had a 12ax7 with an issue. And now I think a power output valve issue, got some slight crackling and other slight noises. Gave both tubes a tap one is absolutely silent the other microphonic, swapped them in opposite sockets issue follows the valve. 

Gives me a good excuse to get some nicer valves. And hope that solves things. 

Oh and its a shame the Kenny's deal ended. Wonder if it's anything to do with Yamaha now owning ampeg???

I kinda wish I bought the 50t when the offer was still on. However since this is purely a practice amp the 20t is more than enough to annoy the neighbours even through a little cab. And it sounds great! (when the valves are working lol). They still have them at kennys on offer, although £299 is still expensive for something only 20w, but it's a mighty fine 20w.

Edited by Twincam

I'd agree, the Ruby valves on mine had a higher mortality rate than I'd hope for, with the power tubes first refusing to bias properly and being replaced under warranty, and the phase inverter valve going microphonic (which I sorted myself).  However, the amp sounds good and now that the valves in there have survived a good few hours use at band volume I'm happy enough to stick with the ones that are in there now. 

And I presumed the Kenny's deal might be related to the change of ownership - perhaps Polar were sitting on a bigger stock of them than they intended to, given that Yamaha likely have their own distribution arrangements. 

On 14/11/2018 at 16:05, Twincam said:

Not thinking much of the ruby (shuguang) valves that come stock in the pf20t. Although I think they sound alright.

Had a 12ax7 with an issue. And now I think a power output valve issue, got some slight crackling and other slight noises. Gave both tubes a tap one is absolutely silent the other microphonic, swapped them in opposite sockets issue follows the valve. 

Gives me a good excuse to get some nicer valves. And hope that solves things. 

Oh and its a shame the Kenny's deal ended. Wonder if it's anything to do with Yamaha now owning ampeg???

I kinda wish I bought the 50t when the offer was still on. However since this is purely a practice amp the 20t is more than enough to annoy the neighbours even through a little cab. And it sounds great! (when the valves are working lol). They still have them at kennys on offer, although £299 is still expensive for something only 20w, but it's a mighty fine 20w.

On 14/11/2018 at 17:17, Beer of the Bass said:

I'd agree, the Ruby valves on mine had a higher mortality rate than I'd hope for, with the power tubes first refusing to bias properly and being replaced under warranty, and the phase inverter valve going microphonic (which I sorted myself).  However, the amp sounds good and now that the valves in there have survived a good few hours use at band volume I'm happy enough to stick with the ones that are in there now. 

And I presumed the Kenny's deal might be related to the change of ownership - perhaps Polar were sitting on a bigger stock of them than they intended to, given that Yamaha likely have their own distribution arrangements. 

I've replaced two of mine so far - Tung Sol 12AX7 into V1 (original tested as 'worn'), bargain eBay 60s Brimar 12AU7 into V3 (original tested as 5hite).

I've resisted the temptation to upgrade the power tubes, I'll get my money's worth out of the Ruby Tubes first. If anything dies on a gig I'll whip out my spare amp rather than mess around changing valves!

On 15/11/2018 at 18:31, afterimage said:

I stopped buying from Watford valves after they sent me a valve in just an envelope. That's right, a valve in its little cardboard box, in an ordinary paper envelope - no bubble wrap, no jiffy bag. Fair enough it survived the journey, no thanks to Watford Valves.

Also that Cryogenic treatment is the worst kind of nonsense.

• 4 weeks later...

After much deliberating on a low wattage valve head a guitarist friend of mine asked me if I was interested in buying his British made Carslbro 50 top (for a song). So I've sent it off for a service and I just cant wait to hear what it sounds like. I'm not expecting a creamy low end clean sound but I'm hoping at least to have some fun with it.   

50top.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2018 at 02:52, Jus Lukin said:

That's super cool, and has the 1970's written all over it!

Give me a 50 Top, a Party Seven, and a girl in a home-knitted tank-top and, well, I'll see you later, let's put it that way! 😄

Party Sevens, ah, those were the days

I have this monster lurking under the stairs. 

It’s not be turned on since 1994 (oops pardon) so needs tlc by someone who knows what they’re doing. 

It weighs more than the moon though so hardly practical. 

From memory it sounded pretty good for bass. 135 watts RMS so should be loud enough ... 

8 ohms though and I don’t have an 8 ohms cab  

68FE672B-F38B-455F-A6B4-1D2816D37933.jpeg

3320EB53-EF4C-4A9A-9B04-9F229323D555.jpeg