Why become a member? ×

No more Procrastination! (An interesting small valve head story)

Bridgehouse

43 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Why are almost all the youtube demos of these done with active basses with the onboard EQ cranked, and so focussed on slap? I don't really have anything against that sound, but it doesn't feel like the most obvious role for these amps...

Thought that myself! However, when trying it out with my pbass and BB714, the amp is thunderous. Rich deep vintage tones all waiting to be explored :D

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Why are almost all the youtube demos of these done with active basses with the onboard EQ cranked, and so focussed on slap? I don't really have anything against that sound, but it doesn't feel like the most obvious role for these amps...

Well, they seem to do it fine so maybe it is an obvious role. With an amp review with slap I tend to scrub through the video looking to see if there is any non slap, or go and find one that is there. I am still not convinced that amp sound demos are much good on youtube unless you have good monitor speakers or flat headphones.

I did see one the other day with white noise and frequency responses of a few speakers, that was a useful thing.

21 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Anyone had any experience with the Portaflex cabs?

I briefly owned a 2x10 Portaflex cab.  I found it bulky and heavy.  Didn't like the sound either but that's a very personal thing.

I think there are some much better and lighter cabs on the market which will give you better results.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, obbm said:

I briefly owned a 2x10 Portaflex cab.  I found it bulky and heavy.  Didn't like the sound either but that's a very personal thing.

I think there are some much better and lighter cabs on the market which will give you better results.

Thank you Dave. I'm kind of leaning that way anyway as I would keep my LM3 still. I'm considering either a Barefaced or Vanderkley cab set up which I think would would well with the LM3 and the Ampeg head. I just love the vintage look of the Ampeg Portaflex cabs but its not too important.

5 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I just love the vintage look of the Ampeg Portaflex cabs but its not too important.

As well as the PF-115 and the PF-210 there is also the PF-112HLF which looks rather interesting and not too expensive at the moment.

11 hours ago, obbm said:

As well as the PF-115 and the PF-210 there is also the PF-112HLF which looks rather interesting and not too expensive at the moment.

Getting good reviews the PF-112HLF as well. Best I have seen is Thomman for £333.

Edited by Linus27

On 19/10/2018 at 13:10, converse320 said:

My PF20t exchange unit arrived today.  It is different in two respects.  Hum has almost completely gone - its perfectly acceptable now, in fact barely audible.   The amp overall is also noticeably louder.  There was clearly a fault on the first one, though the character of the sound hasn't really changed.   Big thumpy tones on tap.  I still can't get much in the way of change in tone with the gain turned up though - no noticeable change in tone regardless of the level of gain, just makes it louder.  Cab still MB 1516B - deafeningly loud now if you want it to be.

These need the eq to be turned up a bit more than usual then gain cranked up to get growl. The pf20t doesn't have as much gain as the pf50t. But you can certainly get growl and overdrive just all the settings need to be fairly high. 

Took delivery of the PF-50T and connected it to my Super Twin, then plugged in my '73 P and played along with a classic soul compilation.

Oh. My. God.

Punchy, fat, touch-responsive sound. Smooth and effective tone controls, including a Treble control that actually has a useful effect with flat-wound strings. The Gain knob should actually be labelled 'Fur', as that's what it seems to control (in the best possible way).

This amp is all that I hoped it would be - and no hum, I'm pleased to say.

Here's the rig, and the settings I ended up with:

nOPHF9r.jpg

VsCdS7O.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

That's not so far from where I set the EQ on mine, though my mid frequency is generally on setting 4. Boosting mids does something cool when the preamp is running just a little gritty!

I originally had the mid boosted on 2 (400Hz), but it immediately gained clarity when I set it to 3 (800Hz). Setting 4 (1.6kHz) is just getting into the 'presence band', which should zing it up nicely!