Why become a member? ×

International Shipping of Bass With Rosewood Fretboard

kieranhogarty

Hi all,

I have a friend in South Africa who builds basses as a hobby, he is building me one for free and will be shipped across to the UK.

The fretboard is Indian Rosewood so I'm just wanting to know if it will run into any problem through customs due to the recent rosewood cites regulations?

I've read all the cites information I can get my hands on and due to there being 'no sale' I think it falls under the category of 'non-commercial' so shouldn't be affected by it, but does anyone have any experience on this matter?

Are there any certificates required for shipping even though it would be classed as a gift or any advice on steps to take to not run into any problems. 

Thanks in advance,

Kieran

Hi kieran

i think it’ll simplify things if the bass is shipped as a purchased item, in other words decalared at full value with the relevant forms. You’ll have to pay duty and handling but it’ll be a small price to pay. Undervaluing the item will likely lead to it being ‘inspected’ and delayed, gift or not. 

• Thanks 1

From what I understand about CITES, I think it would be best if you and your friend complete all the necessary export/import paperwork and pay the associated fees. Without doing so there's a very real risk the bass will be confiscated and subsequently destroyed by UK customs.

I'm aware of this having happened to uncertified imports of vintage instruments in the last few months.

Alternatively, couldn't your friend use a non-CITES wood for the fretboard?

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I ordered a bass with a Pau Ferro fingerboard last week. I have just got off the phone from Customs and Excise who are holding it. I have signed a declaration saying what type of wood it is, and am hoping they do not have to test it. But yes it seems like they are taking it very seriously. 

I backed out of buying a Musicman Bongo last year for similar reasons. It was a 2005 L.E in Buttercream (would of matched my stingray) all rosewood neck. I just got baffled by all the paperwork and even then there was no guarantee that I would get it imported. 

(I’ve head horror story’s where they have removed the fingerboard from guitars and sent everything else but!)

3 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I'm glad I gone mine imported when I did!

I bet you are. I have friends in America so going out and bringing excess baggage back with my is not a problem (that’s how I got my other stingray, it cost me $25 as an extra bag and walked straight out the other end with it) that was 2009ish. That’s rosewood board. 

Wish I like maple boards 

On 09/08/2018 at 06:05, kieranhogarty said:

Thanks for the replies, I will have a chat with my friend about the likelihood of getting hold of a different fretboard wood.

In the meanwhile, does anyone know rough prices of CITES import/export certificates before I start researching?

That varies quite a bit from country to country. In the US it is a huge hassle and I would never even consider doing it again. The two required certs were "only" a few hundred dollars but the trip to get it inspected took all of a very long day, a pretty big slap in the face after having already spent 2 1/2 months waiting on permits to be processed. And then the buyer hadn't handled the permits on his side properly, but fortunately the processing on that end was very quick and he didn't just lose the bass, which easily could've been the outcome.

7 minutes ago, urbanx said:

B****cks! I got charged import tax on my US Import too last night. 20% ransom or they wouldn't release it from the airport! (oh then UPS added a £12 admin fee onto the payment for themselves!)

Ouch !!! 20% on a pedal is bad enough and kind of defeats the object of buying abroad 

it wasn’t purchased in this country the deal was done elsewhere robing b#%^*+^s

31 minutes ago, urbanx said:

B****cks! I got charged import tax on my US Import too last night. 20% ransom or they wouldn't release it from the airport! (oh then UPS added a £12 admin fee onto the payment for themselves!)

Did you think you'd not be paying import tax, and not factor it into the price you paid? (Similar for courier admin fees).

No! only because it hasn't happened before though! i.e. amps from Thomann, camera from Japan etc. This sure makes up for it! 

It was a bass exclusive to one shop in the U.S so I had no option. Postage alone was well into the three figures. I really want that bass! 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:32, paul_c2 said:

Did you think you'd not be paying import tax, and not factor it into the price you paid? (Similar for courier admin fees).

Import tax (duty) is always payable on any item of value brought into the UK, or exported out of the EEC.

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/musical-instrument-courier

• 2 weeks later...