Why become a member? ×

Do you remember your first bass...

Nicko

My first bass was a Gibson EB3, or as I later found out, an EB0 converted into an EB3; bought in 1980 from JSG Music in Bingley W.Yorks, for £150 (I still have the card receipt!!) It was a 1969 model, in very faded cherry, s/n 907469. It had a DiMarzio I neck pickup on it & strangely when converted had a Gibson (with the engraved logo) guitar pickup in the bridge position. I had the guitar pickup switched to a Schaller twin pole model of some description and was ripped off in the process at Mary's Music in Accrington, Lancs.

Whoever converted it had put a toggle switch on it in the Les Paul position so I had that filled and a proper rotary switch where it should have been, sadly no Fuzztone though.

I sold it in Edinburgh in the mid 80s at Mel's Music in Stockbridge (£230 iirc) and later saw it years later in Boston's junk shop on Leith Walk. It had been badly beaten up so I was only briefly tempted.

• 2 months later...

A little late to the party, but mine was a black Tanglewood Rebel 4k (5K?  It had five strings).  I liked the 2 over 3 tuners.  I liked that it was £80.

My next electric bass was a Washburn XB500 - it just feels so right for me, that I have not bothered to look for other basses.

Oddly, the only other reference to Washburn XB series on Basschat seems to be the one on this very thread. 

A pearl white Hondo P-bass, bought secondhand, complete with a grey gig bag, the latter having the names of various metal and underground bands I’d never previously heard of scrawled on with felt-tip pen.

Funny, I remember the gig bag more than the bass......

I swapped it at a secondhand shop for a short scale Strat copy guitar, which I still have and use regularly.

Edited by Baxlin