Why become a member? ×

Bargain Precision?

PaulWarning

Just now, stingrayPete1977 said:

Is that usa or mim? 

thinking about it it could be MIM, initially I thought the Standards were only made in the USA, bit of research and apparently not.

I was looking for a lefty and I know they're not MIM, I think I got confused, Andertons do MIM for £500 so not such a bargain, unless it is a USA and they've cocked up

Def not US, truss-rod at headstock, no hi-mass bridge. Was a bit of a marketing mix-up imo, Standards were MIM, US Standards were, well rather obviously US. The new Player Series has taken over from Standards, so now we have Player (MIM) and Professional (US). Makes it a tad easier now.

• Thanks 1

After all these years, I still find myself wondering how Fender can possibly have re-invented such a simple instrument in so many ways.

Does an American Standard Player Artiste Roadworn Signature model really sound any different from any other Precision?

IME the only things that makes one P sound different from another P are (i) string choice, and (ii) fitting a hot pickup.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

After all these years, I still find myself wondering how Fender can possibly have re-invented such a simple instrument in so many ways.

Does an American Standard Player Artiste Roadworn Signature model really sound any different from any other Precision?

IME the only things that makes one P sound different from another P are (i) string choice, and (ii) fitting a hot pickup.

well they have too, they make a product that doesn't wear out, so the only way they can keep selling it is to try and convince bass players to buy another one by tweaking it

Edited by PaulWarning

37 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

not heard J J Burnel's green Precision then?

I know what you mean, Paul. I had a 78 Precision that sounded pretty much unlike any other I`ve ever had, I named it Ian Paisley as it just barked at you, was really aggressive sounding. Sometimes you get one that just has a different voice, for no specific reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I know what you mean, Paul. I had a 78 Precision that sounded pretty much unlike any other I`ve ever had, I named it Ian Paisley as it just barked at you, was really aggressive sounding. Sometimes you get one that just has a different voice, for no specific reason.

the story goes, which you've probably heard,  when JJ broke the the green one thumping it to get feedback he had it repaired but it was never the same, he tried hundreds of P's and never found one that sounded like the one one he broke, don't know if it's true, good story though.

I do know the last time I saw them live, Peaches just didn't sound right at all.

Wait a minute, you said had, you mean you let it go?

Edited by PaulWarning

Yeah, because it was so unique sounding I didn`t want to base my sound on an instrument that if it got cattled, as per JJs, or stolen/whatever I`d never be able to recreate the sound again, so moved it on. A practical move but I do sometimes miss that bass.