Why become a member? ×

NAD SWR content

JPJ

I’m an SWR’aholic. There, I’ve said it, it’s out there and I feel strangely unburdened 😀

So as a few of you may recall, I own the daddy of all SWR amps, the SM-1500. This is an absolute powerhouse of a bass amp with 1500 real watts available if you ever need them, but that comes at a price, and that price is weight.

A few years ago I was pairing the SM-1500 with either a Goliath Snr 6x10 or a pair of Goliath 4x10’s but eventually I learned that I didn’t need that type of stadium filling rig for my regular gigs and paired things back to a single Goliath, mated with an Aguilar AG500SC which is more than enough, even when headlining the Bulldog Bash to 4,000 last year. As a result, the SM-1500 lies idle most of the time in the man cave.

But as good as the Aggy is, I still hanker for the SWR sound, and so I started to look for an SM-900. After a few wanted ads on here, I got a couple of leads but nothing that came to a purchase and then last night, whilst browsing a Facebook selling group I spotted what looked like a pristine SM-900 for sale in Holland. As luck would have it, I work in Holland Monday to Friday, and the SM-900 was unbelievably just 15km away from me. A few messages later and a swift trip up the road tonight and I own an SM-900 😎

Now all I need to do is ship it back to the UK and I’ll be one happy bass player.

95C79520-12B8-49F8-89B2-9AB9AE4DF780.jpeg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Nice.  When you do get it Kev, let's arrange to compare it to the Thunderfunk 750... same bloke designed them!  ;)  

I’ve got it already John, just ordered a flight case for it to ship it home in. I’ll let you know when she’s arrived in blighty and we’ll arrange a get together. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Yep - good idea, need to find some way to help stop the impulse purchasing addiction. Hopefully, got a Redhead incoming tomorrow so really need help!

I’ve had an on/off love affair with various Redheads over the years, both regular and super, but I’m sorry to say I couldn’t get on with them live, even with an extension cab.

I had Tower of power SWR head a few years ago. Something like 700 watts but it weighed a bloomin ton. Got it for £200 from GG as it had a bit of the black paint missing from the front panel. Moved it on for £160 like a mug.

Edited by jezzaboy

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update, and a picture of her in the real world. I had Martin at Stoneham Amplification give her the once over and then gave her her first run out at our gig last week at a local bike rally. Sounded lush to my old ears 😎

2BB80960-2040-4865-9D81-255269DA68DA.jpeg

• Like 2