Why become a member? ×

Portable multi-effects for bass

ReeV0

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a portable multi-effects 'pedal' for bass. So far I've managed to find none, they are all for guitar. Here's what I've found:

Mooer Pogo (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00INYZVGI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?smid=A1CMY6U0V9ZUW&psc=1)

Behringer FX600 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RVWY42/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1)

ammoon PockRock (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4OO1ZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3MT6BL1A0085S&psc=1)

Line 6 Pocket POD (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RN53LQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_7?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1)

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? How do they work for bass?

Many thanks

Edited by jjl5590

In order of price and modelling prowess, the following are all dedicated multi-fx for bass.

Zoom MS-60B

Zoom B3 (out of production)

Zoom B3n

Helix HX (is aimed primarily at guitar but with an increasing number of effects patches directed at bass players)

I have and can very much recommend the MS-60B and the B3n (plus the free ToneLib software to make creating and editing effects patches a breeze).

Thanks for the replies, I think I prefer Zoom to the other brands such as Behringer. I've had a few Zoom B2 units in the passed but they didn't really impress me.

I like the look of the MS-60B, I think the B1on might be a bit too big and I'm trying to avoid foot pedals.

17 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

Thanks for the replies, I think I prefer Zoom to the other brands such as Behringer. I've had a few Zoom B2 units in the passed but they didn't really impress me.

I like the look of the MS-60B, I think the B1on might be a bit too big and I'm trying to avoid foot pedals.

I mentioned this in your TB thread, but are you looking for an all in one practice/headphone box, or just a small pedal to use with your amp etc.

I'm sorta after a complete package that I can use at home and whilst gigging, a small portable multi effects petal. Some people say the Zoom MS-60B isn't good for gigging as its hard to switch effects, but I wouldn't need to do this on the fly during a song. There would be a few seconds between each song

59 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

I'm sorta after a complete package that I can use at home and whilst gigging, a small portable multi effects petal. Some people say the Zoom MS-60B isn't good for gigging as its hard to switch effects, but I wouldn't need to do this on the fly during a song. There would be a few seconds between each song

It's surprising how many folk haven't worked out just how versatile the MS-60B is.

You can set up a patch for each song and allocate a letter from A to Z to each, so providing your set doesn't have more than 26 songs you can scroll through each song in turn. Simples.

The Korgs are ancient by today’s standards, processing power is limited and modelling very basic, the Pandora I had was also very hissy. I’d stick to Zoom personally.

For me, headphone out is a bit lonely without an aux in to play against, so if you want that, you are left with the B1on and B3n. The former is much cheaper, battery powered, more fiddly to use. The latter is more expensive, requires a power socket, but is much nicer to use and comes with much better Ampeg models as well as Darkglass distortion sims if that kind of stuff floats your boat!

You did say it seemed a bit big, but the B3n is pretty compact. Not sure what your portability requirements are, but it takes up about the same footprint as a standard iPad and would fit in a gig bag pocket.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

That zoom B3n does look nice, but it's very expensive and doesn't even have a drum machine? 

What's your budget? If you can get one second hand they're around £115 or so and you're getting a LOT of pedal for the money.

The B3n does have a drum machine (see page 46 of the manual, which is available to download online - 67 preset rhythms in different time signatures)

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What's your budget? If you can get one second hand they're around £115 or so and you're getting a LOT of pedal for the money.

The B3n does have a drum machine (see page 46 of the manual, which is available to download online - 67 preset rhythms in different time signatures)

They're around £130 new so would have thought it would be a bit cheaper second hand. Didn't realise about the drum machine, thanks for clarifying 

10 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

ot enough effects for me im afraid

well you DO know a B3 only has 3  pedals in a chain?

Fly Rig does Compressor, Booster, Sans Amp, Chorus, envelope filter, Fuzz and Octaver.

If that ain't enough you need a big pedalboard with individual pedals, happy hunting, I've been down that rabbit-hole hehe

Edited by bazzbass

13 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

They're around £130 new so would have thought it would be a bit cheaper second hand. Didn't realise about the drum machine, thanks for clarifying 

Yup - you're right hadn't appreciated they had come down to that new (these were around £175 new when they first came out); I was basing off recent s/h sale prices. But you don't see too many coming up for sale s/h (probably 'cos their owners are all big fans! :))

And frankly at around £130 new, that is really good value e.g. you could pay a lot more than that for a lot of single dedicated pedals.

What's your budget that you don't want to exceed? No point us making suggestions that are going to be above that.

Well I decided to buy a Vox Stomplab 1B off a fellow member on here for £35. It doesn't tick all the boxes but it ticks the main ones!

I'll give it a go and if it's not for me, I'll try the Zoom MS60-B. 

Thanks for everyone's help! 

• Like 1