Why become a member? ×

Flat patch cables - please recommend me some!

Al Krow

Guys,

I've been thus far using Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE patch cables. They're very good (if a little spendy) but I could do with something more compact.

Could you recommend some really good flat patch cables that are:

- very low noise

- have low capacitance (aka low "tone sucking" ability)

Cheers, AK

I've bought the little EBS ones and have found those to be really good. As a cheaper alternative I have some 'clones' that I think came from a German electronics website. However, this was all before D'Addario updated their cable kits. I liked the original plugs but they were a little larger than I would have liked even though the cable system itself proved to be rock solid. The newer connectors are much smaller, so definitely worth a look! I certainly will be investing when I need to.

• Like 1

They're all crap. I have a load of EBS ones going spare!

I went from having a silent board, to months later after switching to using headphones that my signal chain was very noisy. Upgraded to a Cioks isolated supply, same issue. Tested every element of my chain in isolation, eventually down to testing single patch cables in a true bypass loop. The flat EBS and Warwick cables were the source of all my noise issues!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

They're all crap. I have a load of EBS ones going spare!

I went from having a silent board, to months later after switching to using headphones that my signal chain was very noisy. Upgraded to a Cioks isolated supply, same issue. Tested every element of my chain in isolation, eventually down to testing single patch cables in a true bypass loop. The flat EBS and Warwick cables were the source of all my noise issues!

Wow! I feel for you, my EBS ones have been dead silent. I wonder what was going on there!

I must add that I have a dimmer switch in my room, and it's only when that was on that I had a problem. The flat cables were like an antennae for the noise emanating from the coil in the dimmer. Anything with metal jack plugs were fine, so it could be a lack of shielding at the plastic jacks. In effect you would only notice it in certain rooms when listening full range (the problem was masked for so long by my tweeterless SVT210AV cabs!). But when nearly all my playing was in that room into headphones, it became a big issue!

Edited by dannybuoy

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well central London, with its tube and train lines, is like one BIG dimmer switch, so if flats do amplify ambient EM 'noise', then that's definitely something to take on board.

In Naaaarfolk we barely hev electricicity or woss thaht cawled? Hent neva herd Moy trahctas makin all that din 😂

Ok, anyway ha ha - Something to be aware of @dannybuoy, I'll keep an eye on mine thank you! :) 

I've had no problems at all with EBS ones, but the Warwick ones are trouble IME. I've had many sudden failures - sudden noise issues and total loss of signal - and even a dead cable straight from the pack. For some reason the shorter ones seem to be the ones that fail most and I've ditched all of mine.

• Like 1

With my mini bass I actually use a long EBS gold flat cable as a signal cable into my travel unit (zoom B1on) because it fits into the pocket of he bag nicely.

Ive noticed it will pick up more noise near a tv but I’m talking within a meter so nothing to worry about.