Why become a member? ×

I'd like a bass that sounds like this. Any suggestions?

Spoombung

I actually have one of those, and what gives mine its unique sound is the fact that when you have both pickups on together they are wired in series (but not humbucking) rather than the more normal parallel mode. So you could try rewiring any bass with twin single coil pickups in series, although the extreme pickup positioning of the Burns may also be a big contributor to it's sound.

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

Burns Nu-Sonic looks as though it will be fairly close:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/burns_nu_sonic_bass_trans_red.htm

Different pickups and from the looks of things different pickup placement - IMO the extreme closeness of the pickups to the bridge and neck respectively is an important aspect of the sound. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that the all-important 2 pickup selection will put the pickups in the more conventional parallel mode rather than series as it does on my Sonic bass. Also if you think these make a significant difference; neck and body woods are different and the overall construction of the two basses is completely different.

About all they have in common IMO is the Burns name and the scale length.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Different pickups and from the looks of things different pickup placement - IMO the extreme closeness of the pickups to the bridge and neck respectively is an important aspect of the sound. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that the all-important 2 pickup selection will put the pickups in the more conventional parallel mode rather than series as it does on my Sonic bass. Also if you think these make a significant difference; neck and body woods are different and the overall construction of the two basses is completely different.

About all they have in common IMO is the Burns name and the scale length.

OK, so what are you proposing?

2 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Thinking about it, if you had the budget for it, it would be very cool to pick up a pair of the Adeson repro pickups and find a custom builder to come up with a nice lightweight short-scale to get that sound in a more dependable instrument.  

This. Body and neck combo of the right dimensions would be easy, and a custom Pickup winder would do a set that did the job. 

21 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I actually have one of those, and what gives mine its unique sound is the fact that when you have both pickups on together they are wired in series (but not humbucking) rather than the more normal parallel mode. So you could try rewiring any bass with twin single coil pickups in series, although the extreme pickup positioning of the Burns may also be a big contributor to it's sound.

Very interesting. Thanks

16 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Thinking about it, if you had the budget for it, it would be very cool to pick up a pair of the Adeson repro pickups and find a custom builder to come up with a nice lightweight short-scale to get that sound in a more dependable instrument.  

That's an intriguing thought