Why become a member? ×

In Praise of Squier - NBD!

ChrisJaxon

I wanted a shortie for a short term project coming up (depping for an upright player), and I wanted to try one out anyway (good ole'gas!), so I pressed the button with GAK for a black Squier VM Jaguar SS for all of £178 including delivery the next day. What can go wrong, I thought, and when it arrived I dutifully kept all the packaging just in case. But when I took it out and gave it a quick once-over, it was faultless. Apart from a little brown knot in the maple on top of the headstock, which looks rather like a fag burn and rather hip. Then I plugged it in, and once again it all functioned without issue, and the sound was exactly as expected. I then replaced the strings with my preferred flats, set the string and pickup heights to my liking, tuned her up and -BINGO -  what a fantastic little bass! And for my dainty little hands, the business end was so much easier and less tiring to play than my long scales. And I found myself able to play faster more accurate runs. I may be converted....

But how does the industry make a great 'beginner' instrument like this, with everyone in the food chain (even DHL to my door) making a profit (including the taxman) for £178? Hats off to Squier.

P1080200.JPG

Great bass. I got one in Candy Apple Red a few months ago. Got mine from a local dealer so I could check it out for any nasties. I agree with everything you say. I put a Gotoh bridge on mine, but that's more because I hate the look of bbot bridges. I put new strings on and did some setting up over a few days... but didn't need much tweaking... setting the height of the jazz pup was the biggest adjustment I had to make.

I've also got a "fag burn" on the headstock... just in the right place... maybe there's a heavy smoker in the factory with a sense of humour.

Enjoy the bass.