Why become a member? ×

Selmer Treble n Bass 50w valve head. Trade for head with FX
£300

itsmedunc

Up for sale my old Selmer Treble n Bass 50w valve. I've hardly used it since I got it off another BC member and it had just had a full service. I decided to go onto in ears and straight into the PA and so, although greatly loved, I no longer need it.

Had it running through a pair of Ashdown cabs with a serialiser box (made by OBBM member BC'er which enables it to run 2x8 ohm cabs or runs at 8 or 16ohm on it's own). Phenomenally loud with the right cabs. I've stripped the tolex as it was knackered. It's been varnished and looks pretty good but not a professional job. I have the front grille but have removed it and replaced it with some black fabric. Looks good to my eyes but better in the flesh. Only issue is, I snapped the toggle on/off switch off! Still works as it's the toggle that broke, not the inner workings. Think the light will need changing too. I was quoted £25 to have the switch and connected light replaced.

£295 collected and I'll include the serialiser. If you want me to get the switch fixed then £325. If you are local feel free to come and try it out. Might be able to meet up depending on distance. Any questions please ask.

Will trade for a head with FX (delay a must) and built in tuner.

S1.JPG

S2.JPG

S3.JPG

S4.JPG

S5.JPG

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 1

Oh my ❤️❤️❤️

I know now nothing about these amps and have been so long out of the game I wouldn’t know where to start with matching cabs. However, aesthetically and in terms of coolness, that is one sexy amp. 

Id be tempted but I’m sure it’ll go before I’ve dithered on it. 

5 hours ago, Nothingman said:

Oh my ❤️❤️❤️

I know now nothing about these amps and have been so long out of the game I wouldn’t know where to start with matching cabs. However, aesthetically and in terms of coolness, that is one sexy amp. 

Id be tempted but I’m sure it’ll go before I’ve dithered on it. 

I had it running through 2 Ashdown 4x8 neo cabs with the serialiser box. Seriously loud.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

I had one of these, was given it from an abandoned house, worked straight away, sounded awesome through guitar and bass, broke up lovely at volume but not enough clean head room for my band.

They are resilient! Great for both guitar and bass too. A Selmer Treble n Bass was the first amp I ever played through too!

• 2 weeks later...

It changes how the amp "sees" the ohm load. Two cabs both with 8 ohm loads would normally become a 4 ohm load but with the use of the serialiser it remains at 16ohm (corrected!). 😁

Edited by itsmedunc

Stew, when you daisy chain cabs together the speakers are connected

Cable#1                    

Amp(1+)  -> Cab#1(1+)

Amp(1-)  ->  Cab#1(1-)

Cable #2

Cab#1(1+)  -> Cab#2(1+)

Cab#1(1-)  ->  Cab#2(1-)

This puts the two cabinets in parallel, so if both cabs are 8-ohms then the total impedance that the amp see is 4-ohms.

If you want to put the cabs in series so the total impedance is now 16-ohms then you need to make a special cable that goes.

Amp(1+ -> Cab#1(1+)

Cab#1(1-) -> Cab#2(1+)

Cab(#2(1-) -> Amp(1-)

The box does this internally and allows you to use regular Speakon cables to connect them up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, obbm said:

Stew, when you daisy chain cabs together the speakers are connected

Cable#1                    

Amp(1+)  -> Cab#1(1+)

Amp(1-)  ->  Cab#1(1-)

Cable #2

Cab#1(1+)  -> Cab#2(1+)

Cab#1(1-)  ->  Cab#2(1-)

This puts the two cabinets in parallel, so if both cabs are 8-ohms then the total impedance that the amp see is 4-ohms.

If you want to put the cabs in series so the total impedance is now 16-ohms then you need to make a special cable that goes.

Amp(1+ -> Cab#1(1+)

Cab#1(1-) -> Cab#2(1+)

Cab(#2(1-) -> Amp(1-)

The box does this internally and allows you to use regular Speakon cables to connect them up.

That sounds much better than my bad attempt! 

Cheers

Dunc

• 3 weeks later...

My showgroup in 1969 had one of these connected to 2 Selmer columns and it powered my 12 string electro acoustic AND the bass. It was so loud, it was even adequate for the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle!

Awesome amps, someone will get a bargain here. GLWTS. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, rorysmith said:

This was mine I think, wasn't it Dunc? Looks great :)

Hi, yes it was and I'd still be using it if I hadn't gone FRFR! I may well withdraw it soon though as I might be playing a bit of guitar and bass in a new project and this fits the bill. Lovely and loud with the right cabs for bass and unbelievably loud with guitar! So, many rigs and not enough gigs unfortunately for me. Thanks for the heads up! 😀

13 hours ago, headofire said:

Cool amp man.. really tempted.. I had one of these for years for recording they rock.

Thanks for the +1. Great head, I'm just not using it unfortunately.