Why become a member? ×

Bassist and drummer wanted for rock trio

Happy Jack

Incidentally, I'm looking for 16–18 1st violins, 16 2nd violins, 12 violas, 12 cellos, 7 double basses, 4 flutes (one with piccolo as a specialty), 4 oboes (one with English horn as a specialty), 4 clarinets (one with bass clarinet as a specialty, another specializing in high clarinets), 4 bassoons (one with double bassoon as a specialty) plus 5–8 horns, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones (one with bass trombone as a specialty), 1 tuba, 1 kettledrum player, 3–4 percussionists (of whom at least one must also play kettledrum), 1–2 harps and a keyboard player (piano, celesta, harpsichord, etc.) to form a new orchestra.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

My last group was an advert from the drummer looking for a guitarist and bass player with vocals. That worked fine.

If he already has bookings with the group it doesn't seem unreasonably I wouldn't have thought.

If I lived anywhere near Plymouth with the same contacts I have round here (and if he was any good) he would have a full band with two phone calls...! 

54 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Joining a band = one thing.

Forming a band = another thing.

Asking all the other members to join a non-existent band = a silly thing.

YMMV

Dunno about that – it’s a three piece blues rock set (not exactly Zappa-esque material or a 7 piece funk band complete with brass section) and IF he does have loads of gigs in the diary and IF he is any good, then it should be quite feasible for him to quickly pick up a new rhythm section.  

Of course, if I was considering taking the gig then I might be interested to know why the drummer was so quick to jump ship when the bass player left…!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Of course, if I was considering taking the gig then I might be interested to know why the drummer was so quick to jump ship when the bass player left…!

Doesn't seem that unusual in a group of 3, the drummer and the bass player gel well, and probably the drummer isn't that bothered about the guitarist but stays because he enjoys playing with that bass player.

Frankly in groups that I have been with, a change in guitarist wouldn't have that much impact, a change in drummer is pretty major.

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Frankly in groups that I have been with, a change in guitarist wouldn't have that much impact, a change in drummer is pretty major.

I'm not sure that is generally the case, depends on the band I suppose. From what he has put in the ad (the name of the band, etc) it seems that he is probably the frontman / band leader. 

Anyway, good luck to the guy. I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is - of all of the daft / incredibly unrealistic ads you seem to find on sites like Lemonrock or JMB, this one does not stand out as one of the worst (to me at least)...

Edited by peteb

On 07/08/2018 at 19:29, Happy Jack said:

Asking all the other members to join a non-existent band = a silly thing.

It's an established band that the leader wants to keep going. presumably with enough music to fill a couple of sets.  That's not starting a new band IMO.

• Like 1

Both our drummer and myself would be happy do more gigs (slowdown due to new baby for one bandmember) if he wasn’t a few hours away I would give him a shout. We are used to working with each other and could fit a (decent) guitarist in no problem. If they already have gigs booked then brilliant.

On 07/08/2018 at 18:19, Happy Jack said:

Incidentally, I'm looking for 16–18 1st violins, 16 2nd violins, 12 violas, 12 cellos, 7 double basses, 4 flutes (one with piccolo as a specialty), 4 oboes (one with English horn as a specialty), 4 clarinets (one with bass clarinet as a specialty, another specializing in high clarinets), 4 bassoons (one with double bassoon as a specialty) plus 5–8 horns, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones (one with bass trombone as a specialty), 1 tuba, 1 kettledrum player, 3–4 percussionists (of whom at least one must also play kettledrum), 1–2 harps and a keyboard player (piano, celesta, harpsichord, etc.) to form a new orchestra.

I'm a brass player. I'm very tempted to make a post of this in general discussion and start a basschat orchestra 

People go about things in different ways, why cant we all just get along and not feel the need to bash others. It’s a shame BC has threads like these. Not everyone  has the luxury of experience or the ability to just know how to word an ad etc.

The way I read that ad is the band already exists, but two of the musicians are being changed. Cant see how that’s ‘forming a band’. 

People need to get a life and get over themselves. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd say he's forming a band. If it's a three-piece rock band and he's looking for two members, then at the moment it's just him - and effectively there is no band until he finds those other two people. Unless you can notionally be a three-piece band in your own mind and nowhere else.

In which case I'd say you're probably differently-brained or something and have a marvellous imagination. Gosh, how special. Excelsior!

1 hour ago, discreet said:

I'd say he's forming a band. If it's a three-piece rock band and he's looking for two members, then at the moment it's just him - and effectively there is no band until he finds those other two people. Unless you can notionally be a three-piece band in your own mind and nowhere else.

In which case I'd say you're probably differently-brained or something and have a marvellous imagination. Gosh, how special. Excelsior!

Guitar player / singer / band leader has a band (named after him – he seems to go by the name of Swampy). This band plays plenty of pub gigs and the odd bike rally, has a Facebook page and YouTube clips of them playing live (mostly ZZ Top covers it seems). The drummer then says he’s leaving and the bass player decides to follow. There are still plenty of gigs booked and the band leader wants to carry on with a new rhythm section.

Therefore, our hero advertises for a bass player and drummer to play the same material that his band have played live many times to do gigs that have been booked on the strength of his previous live performances. The band will have the same name as that he used to play all these gigs in the past. He is saying that he is asking people to audition for an established band. I wouldn’t disagree…

39 minutes ago, peteb said:

The band will have the same name as that he used to play all these gigs in the past. He is saying that he is asking people to audition for an established band. I wouldn’t disagree…

Thats all great, but until he finds those people, the band is entirely notional. It's theoretical. It's nominal. It's not a 'real' band. Yet. Words, eh? Good luck to him.