Why become a member? ×

Could anyone close to me let me try their Darkglass amp?

nash

So I’m located in Chepstow. On the English/Welsh boarder. 

I’m really looking at buying a DG M900. But PMT doesn’t seem to have any in stock. So I’m either hopeful of someone letting me pop over and give it a blast or I’ll take a trip to Bass Direct. 

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I, like many others, had one for a short time.

There may be a reason for that....

Do share, a mate of mine is flogging a trace rig to make the move and I’d love to prevent him making a collosal error.

PM If you’d prefer 😉

I would say that if you are looking for a traditional rock or blues sound then you can achieve it with a Darkglass amp, but maybe it would be easier with something like a Mesa Subway. If you like a modern sound, especially if you like the Darkglass B3K or VMT pedals, the DG amps are great value. 

I really like mine, but I get that not everyone does. 

Had a DG amp, it is a good amp, no doubts, great quality of manufacturedness as well. Real shame I let mine go, I am just in Bristol!

EQ is sensibly positioned and very tweakable (too tweakable for me). The clean sound is also nice, a little too clinical for me, and the bass on tap is enough, but not as huge as a Mesa D800 for example if that’s what you like.

Drive sound - very subjective of course but for me I have always found it not exactly parallel to the clean sound making it not quite there for me to work in the mix (been through their pedals as well), though I know plenty people do, and a really good pal of mine uses it with the drive on for non metal music things like country, pop etc.

I did move mine on as I am a simple chap and wanted a simpler EQ, and slightly different requirements.

Its difficult to hate it, you will like it, but may or may not love it if you get my drift.

If you were going to potentially buy new anyway, it’s probably worth taking a punt, trying it it and use the returns period?

Its one of those ones which is very personal and subjective.

I'm not a fan of the DG pedals so the left hand side of the  amp was superfluous. The right hand side didn't impress me sufficiently to look at it as an exceptional piece of kit. Lots of other amps out there which do a better rock tone.

Those who play with lots of distortion will like it, those after a fat sound will despise it. 

On 10/08/2018 at 23:02, TheGreek said:

I, like many others, had one for a short time.

There may be a reason for that....

To keep this balanced you may wish to state which other D class amps have not lasted any time at all in the Greek homestead? From what I can tell it's pretty much ALL of them 😄 

@AndyTravis here's hopefully something a bit more in depth on the subject for your mate (and for the record, I'd be happy to put any TE rig up against my DGM900 & VK210LNT and be very confident that DG/VK would more than hold its own).

Several M900s did come up for sale towards the end of last year / beginning of this year. They were all snapped up. I've seen hardly any in the FS in the past few months. Maybe there's a reason for that too? :)

Edited by Al Krow

It suits me to the ground on paper. Does a “Vintage” sound, has a single footswitch that runs off an instrument cable so I can easily swap it on my board when I use my Fender Super Bassman. 

The DG is for band prac and those shows where I’d be loading my gear on my own. 

I’d be able to show up to shows with my bass(es) and a Peli 1510. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

I think if you think it may suit you, and you have the funds, find a suitable retailer where you have a cry off period to try and can get a full refund.

its the only way

Would like to try before I buy if poss. 

I’m almost certainly going with the DG. My other option was. GK Fusion MB900.