Why become a member? ×

Shout out from Bulgaria

Newfoundfreedom

Hi all. 

Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself.

My name is Martin and I'm a Yorkshireman living in Bulgaria. I'm a born again bassist, or at least aspire to be having not played in a band since I was about 16 and that was (cough) years ago. 

A few friends and I are just in the very early stages of getting a band together. I'm extremely rusty but enjoying playing again. 

My current weapon of choice is a dirt cheap Sub Zero (gear 4 music own brand) semi acoustic bass which has a surprisingly nice feel and is actually quite playable. And an old 1980's 100w Laney Combo. I will probably be looking to upgrade soon if anything actually comes of the band situation, but having owned (and sold) tons of gear over the years I'm determined not to put the cart before the horse this time, even though all those shiney for sale ads keep luring me in. Last time I did that I ended up with a grand and a halfs worth of Warwick thumb bass and a full Laney double stack, which was probably overkill for my garage 😂.

On 08/08/2018 at 08:33, bigsmokebass said:

😁

To me, doesn't matter what you play as long as you're enjoying it and keeps you going back to it after a long day at work. 

Thanks.

I totally agree. You will always get your gear snobs, but I can honestly say hand on heart, I enjoy playing my £100 eBay semi a lot more than I ever enjoyed playing my £1200 Warwick. 

Then again, when you pay like I do it doesn't make much difference. 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah Varna is a great coastal town. Sadly most Brits who come here only see Sunny Beach which is a shame. There is so much more to the country than a seedy package holiday resort. 

I was staying in Zlatni Piasaci (Golden Sands?) but I went on day trips to the medieveal town on a peninsula - cannot remember the name but it might be Nesebar (like a nice Portland lol) and the summer palace of the Romanian queen.  Also got a taxi out to the petrified forest....which isn't a petrified forest at all.  Some great roman ruins in Varna itself as well.

2 minutes ago, DorsetBlue said:

I was staying in Zlatni Piasaci (Golden Sands?) but I went on day trips to the medieveal town on a peninsula - cannot remember the name but it might be Nesebar (like a nice Portland lol) and the summer palace of the Romanian queen.  Also got a taxi out to the petrified forest....which isn't a petrified forest at all.  Some great roman ruins in Varna itself as well.

Yeah you're taking about Nessebar. Beautiful old world peninsula fishing town which has itself sadly become over touristy and just an extension of Sunny Beach. Although to be fair it's still very nice, if a little pricey by Bulgarian standards.

It's good to talk to someone who has seen something other than the package holiday resorts.

The history here is amazing. Most people don't realise it's one of the oldest habited places in Europe. The oldest gold artifacts ever found on the planet were found in Varna and can still be seen in the museum there. 

Don't mean to harp on but I find it really sad that to most people Bulgaria is little more than Benidorm on the black sea. 

Still. More peace for the more discerning amongst us. 😉

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah you're taking about Nessebar. Beautiful old world peninsula fishing town which has itself sadly become over touristy and just an extension of Sunny Beach. Although to be fair it's still very nice, if a little pricey by Bulgarian standards.

It's good to talk to someone who has seen something other than the package holiday resorts.

The history here is amazing. Most people don't realise it's one of the oldest habited places in Europe. The oldest gold artifacts ever found on the planet were found in Varna and can still be seen in the museum there. 

Don't mean to harp on but I find it really sad that to most people Bulgaria is little more than Benidorm on the black sea. 

Still. More peace for the more discerning amongst us. 😉

Yes, visited the museum in Varna.  There is also a quaint little naval museum with a motor torpedo boat outside.  They are incredibly proud of that boat (it played a part in the independence fight against the Ottoman Empire).  There was also a monastery built into a cliff face just off the road to Varna from Zlatni Piasaci.  I stayed in Bulgaria for 2 weeks and set foot on the beach once....to find out the prices for the Jet Skis (turned out they were a little expensive for my taste). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrCrane said:

Здрасти!

Whereabouts in Bulgaria are you based?

My wife's from Sofia and I've spent a fair bit of time over there over the years. (Only made it to the Black Sea once, we tend to spend more time in the mountains).

Здрасти!

We're right in the centre. Veliko Tarnovo region. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2018 at 13:43, josie said:

Welcome! Hope the new band goes well - let us know 🙂 

Well you asked for it. 😂

Nowhere near professional standards. I haven't played in a band for almost 30 years so it's definitely rough around the edges. But I'm absolutely loving it! After all, that's the important thing isn't it? 

This is a quick snippet from today. It's definitely rough, and crappy sound quality from being recorded on a phone cam. But I think it's starting to sound something like music. 

Be kind 😋

Edited by Newfoundfreedom