Why become a member? ×

New TC Electronic heads

rubis

Right, had a mess about with the amp plugged into a cab. When the master is at zero even if the gain is zero, the clip light stays on when you hit any string. Move the master off zero, to say 9 o`clock, you can boost the gain up to over half way and the clip light only comes on at the peaks, as it should.

Must be something to do with the relationship between the gain and master.

On 12/12/2018 at 08:36, Woodinblack said:

Sounds a bit like someone with one should ask TC what is going on with it!

TC Support have apologised and confirmed that due to a manufacturing error the active/passive switch is the wrong way round on the first batch of amps. This fault has now been rectified for future production. They are looking into remedial action for their first production batch. TBH I was sure that is what it was. It is a bit irritating but not a major issue. But being a bit OCD so am pondering wnether or not I should return it to Thomann.

I have giggled the amp now and it is a nice punchy sound with a very hot and clean DI out.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

Real Electronics in Sheffield deal with warranty issues for TC maybe you could send there rather than back to Thomann. http://www.realelectronics.co.uk/

Thanks, but I am based in Ireland. Thomann have offered to pay return postage and send me a new replacement. Can't say fairer than that.

I have used real electronics for a fault on an out of warranty Markbass cab crossover, they were excellent..

I got mine in early December from Thomman so I don`t know if it`s from the "new" batch or not. The switch is the wrong way round and as I said on page 5, the gain light is a little strange. 

I have since used the head mainly as a headphone amp for home use. I plugged in my Nate Mendel P bass fitted with one of John`s wiring kits and a Tonerider pickup and the red light was on with the gain at a quarter whilst in passive mode. I had to switch into active mode and move the gain to just over half to get a decent volume out of it with the red gain light coming on slightly.

I haven`t had a chance to give this thing a bit of volume yet as I stay in a flat but I am in the studio early next months and will kick it`s butt and see what happens. I can`t make my up mind up yet if it`s a good bit of kit with a strange to me gain/master volume circuit or a piece of crap o.O

I also got mine in early December. It's replacing my Ampeg V4b. Love it! Have been play them side by side at my daily practice sessions. It's a keeper for sure. Sounds every bit as good as the Ampeg. I will say that standard Eq adjustments do not apply with this amp. I'm playing with a Status Graphite T-bass, active pick-ups. My bass gain controls a set at 2-3 max. The amp gain and master about 5 each. Eq to suit, I cut the highs for my sixties band. Play through an Ampeg Svt 410, 4 ohm cab. for now. Going to lighten my cabinet weight soon. Love the amp! Go ahead and get one. Paid 229 USD on Black Friday.

• Thanks 1

I had a TC rig for a while ... Bc210 BC 212 & BH500 ... I got fed up with it not being able to produce any decent volume/quality no matter what I did to try and improve it. So I investigated and found out about the TC (RMS?) Watt-gate!? Issue. I sold it and the Genz Benz rig I had follow this was excellent - with no lack of output. I really would like to invest in a new TC Blacksmith & 2x 4x10 cab rig but once bitten twice shy etc..... 

Guest gazzatriumph
2 hours ago, Basstech21 said:

I had a TC rig for a while ... Bc210 BC 212 & BH500 ... I got fed up with it not being able to produce any decent volume/quality no matter what I did to try and improve it. So I investigated and found out about the TC (RMS?) Watt-gate!? Issue. I sold it and the Genz Benz rig I had follow this was excellent - with no lack of output. I really would like to invest in a new TC Blacksmith & 2x 4x10 cab rig but once bitten twice shy etc..... 

Try  RH750 and RS cabs they are much better. Forget the watt thing they are loud.

Edited by gazzatriumph

• 3 weeks later...

I was totally against these heads over a BH, as i love the intelligent EQ TCE use, but as i keep my amps almost flat, and the BG Low knob is set at 80hz i figured id give one ago. Having used a Spectracomp for a while i like TCE's per amp sections, and i like the idea of the compressor (as limited as it is).

Oh, and £185 isnt a bad price, and its red so will match my Jack Casady bass 🙂

Arriving tomorrow, will be used at rehearsal next week.

Amp arrived today but it has a screw loose inside. Its rattling around and I’d be worried about it shorting something out,  or that something hasnt been secured properly,  so its going back. 

Sounded ok on headphones, although when i compared it to my GK MB800 I realised just how bland it sounded. If i had liked the tone better i woudl have got a replacement, but i cant see a reason to replace the GK at the moment. 

Forgot to add, the active/passive switch is back to front on mine as well. Not a biggie.Plugging my P bass directly in i couldnt get the peak ligh tot come on at all in the right mode. Slapped the hell out of it and nothing. Changing modes the red LED popped on with the gain only just on, although it didn't sound distorted. The Thrust light was on all the time if the switch was engaged. Quite a poorly made product IMO. 

Edited by dave_bass5

On 30/12/2018 at 17:31, Basstech21 said:

The TC watt issue never effected the BH range, it was only the RH heads so not sure what you were hearing other than a 500watt head not being loud enough for you. It definitely had nothing to do with what you had read as BH heads have never been said to have issues. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, solo4652 said:

That is a crazy price, I thought I paid rock bottom price of €205, but Bax are around €190. Wonder if it is 1st or 2nd production batch and if the reversed passive/active switch has been resolved. Thomann have just dispatched my replacement. Either way it's a good little amp with compressor for around the price of a decent compressor pedal!

Edited by BassManGraham
Typo error

50 minutes ago, BassManGraham said:

That is a crazy price, I thought I paid rock bottom price of €205, but Bax are around €190. Wonder if it is 1st or 2nd production batch and if the reversed passive/active switch has been resolved. Thomann have just dispatched my replacement. Either way it's a good little amp with compressor for around the price of a decent compressor pedal!

I got my BQ550 a week ago and it was still reversed.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I got my BQ550 a week ago and it was still reversed.

Shame to hear that as I was thinking about getting one of these but if they can't even be bothered to sort out the problem... what's the point.

Though that is presuming you've got a first-gen model... maybe they've not sold through the first run...

31 minutes ago, anzoid said:

Shame to hear that as I was thinking about getting one of these but if they can't even be bothered to sort out the problem... what's the point.

Though that is presuming you've got a first-gen model... maybe they've not sold through the first run...

I didn't think it a real world issue as such. once you get used to it (10 seconds) its fine. I agree though, i think they are still on the first run. If mine didnt have that loose screw rattling around i woudl have kept it, although id have a hard time keeping it too long as my mind has been on a BH head for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mathlang said:

BAM200 looks to be £120ish. Haven't seen a new mini cab to pair it with.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Head-Amplifiers/BAM200/p/P0DI5#googtrans(en|en) 

Screenshot_2019-02-12-19-14-07.png

You sure its gonna be £120? That would be a very different price point to other mini 200 watt heads. You could  maybe imagine Bugera doing one at that price ( ironically the same owners as TC now)

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

You sure its gonna be £120? That would be a very different price point to other mini 200 watt heads. You could  maybe imagine Bugera doing one at that price ( ironically the same owners as TC now)

It is not a 200 W amp. The spec in mathlang's post states a maximum of 200 W, so its 'RMS' power could be 100 W - or it may be that they have got the power supply reserves right this time and it limits at 200 W without objectionable distortion, so it still sounds louder than the competition. Who knows.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder
Quoted the wrong author.